Not to cry sexist, but...

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Not to cry sexist, but...

Post by Sangel »

Why is the Princess so much weaker than the Lord? She's a level three unit, he's a level three unit, but they're so far from equal. Not only does he have 20 more hitpoints, his sword does more damage and he has a bow attack as well.

At the very minimum, I think she should have a 12-5 sword attack and 52 hitpoints. Adding in near-immunity to Holy attacks would also fit the high fantasy theme.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Princess is elusivefoot, this means she is quite often hard to hit. Same as fencers and thieves.

More information:

http://wesnoth.slack.it/?UnitTables
http://wesnoth.slack.it/?MoveTypeTables

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Actually the Grand Plan is to make Li'sar start on level 2 (and be rather powerful for a level 2 unit) and be advancable to level 3.

Hmm....there are already graphics for it...so why don't I go off and do this now? :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I've checked out the tables, miyo, and while she's harder to hit, she tends to take more damage when she does get hit, so that balances out somewhat. I think she needs a minor bump in power in any case - though if those stats are for a Level 2 Li'sar, it would make sense how weak she is comparatively.

Someone's already done a Level 2 Li'sar graphic? That's awesome.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sangel wrote: Someone's already done a Level 2 Li'sar graphic? That's awesome.
Actually someone has already done a level 3 Li'sar graphic. Found in images/human-battleprincess.png. The current Li'sar graphics will become level 2.

Of course, it still does need to be animated.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Eponymous-Archon

Broader sexism

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

On the broader front, I've re-written most of the unit descriptions so that they are sex-less. Some of the unit names might be taken to imply sex (bowman, for example, or Princess - obviously), but most units could technically go either way...or neither, as in the case of most of the animals and undead.

Just a little FYI.
The Eponymous Archon
turin-at-school

Post by turin-at-school »

how does bowman imply it is male? the suffix '-man' simply mean 'being', not specifically male. i see no way it is inherently a male unit, just like the orcish crossbowman is not human, but has the suffix 'man'.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

While "man" is used as a generic term quite a lot, if there's an alternative I personally like to go with the alternative. I mean, why not? Making the unit descriptions gender-neutral is kind of nice - then you can choose whether your unit is male or female when you name it.

Anyway, I've alpha-mapped the Battle Princess, and done a quick attack frame. I'll do the defense frame in a little while - what do you think of these two?

[Edit: Figured out the attack frame - the alpha mask was messed up for some reason]
Last edited by Sangel on March 30th, 2004, 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

The loyalist archers are called Bowmen beacuase "archer" was allready overused.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience

Post by Guest »

turin-at-school wrote:how does bowman imply it is male? the suffix '-man' simply mean 'being', not specifically male. i see no way it is inherently a male unit, just like the orcish crossbowman is not human, but has the suffix 'man'.
Please, let's not get into this debate, huh. :-)

Despite its long history as a neutral compound, -man is taken by many these days to mean "a man and not a woman". Hence my "might be taken" in the original posting.
Ave

princess/battle princess level mixup

Post by Ave »

Princess has level 3 while battle princess has level 2 in the CVS
Ave

Post by Ave »

Another small problem, Grand_Knight.cfg is stored as .png in the CVS.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

OK, I've completed both attack and defense frames for the Battle Princess now. Let me know what you think.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

the defense image does not look like she is defending, it is more like she is saluting. i advise making her feet change position, so that she is not so stiff.

the attack image looks great, and is a perfect example of moving feet during a frame.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Understood. How about this?