[Historical] Son of the Black Eye Updated!

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dwarven Lord

Post by Dwarven Lord »

:shock: is the 0.1 version on the campaign server the same as the one that comes with the game as one of the mainline senarios in Wesnoth version 1.Orc1? :shock:

just wanting to know if i should download the cpy from the server. <m>
The Dwarven Lord has spoken!
Squig

Post by Squig »

i ve been testing sotbe, and noticed that shamans' exp seems to be reduced to 0 at the beginning of the following scenario. As it only happens in the scenario after the siege one, i guess it s a bug.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

dibblethewrecker wrote:OK am now at Saving Inarix - not started playing yet but can't see the saurians at the start of turn 1, is that normal.
Yeah, that is normal. The saurians don't come along untill later on in the game. You'll see :)

Dwarven Lord wrote: is the 0.1 version on the campaign server the same as the one that comes with the game as one of the mainline senarios in Wesnoth version 1.Orc1?
You know what, I am not sure. It was my understanding that the devs might not get a chance to add any changes I made untill after version 1.0, so I just poasted it on the server to get some feedback, and let the devs add it to the package at their convience - if they liked my changes that is.

But you know what, I am on dialup so I haven't gotten a chance to download 1.0 yet so... Well, tell me this. Do you have an option at the end of the first scenario weither to stand and fight or run off to the orcish council? If yes, then it is the same. If no then they haven't added my changes yet.

Oh, and version 0.2 of SotBE - Upadated is comming out soon (within the next day or two) with quite a few major changes so if you can check that out and see what you think :)
Squig wrote:i ve been testing sotbe, and noticed that shamans' exp seems to be reduced to 0 at the beginning of the following scenario. As it only happens in the scenario after the siege one, i guess it s a bug.
Yeah, probobally is, thanks for letting me know. But you know, I don't think (at this point anyway) that it really matters all that much. The shamons have no advancement oppertunity, and they don't really stay with you long enough for you to put any effort into increacing their max hitpoints. I usually just keep them out of harms way and give the xp to all my other units.

On the subject of shamons, I had an idea, what do all of you think of it. I was thinking of making a few advancement oppertunities, starting them off at level 2 and up to level four. Because they are not really combat units I wasn't really intending on giving them a lot of hps or powerfull attacks. Rather I was thinking more along the lines of giving them abilities like leadershiop, healing abilities and maby some sort of slow attack. So although they wouldn't be very powerfull on their own, they could be a valuable supporting unit.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Ok, I finally got 0.2 up on the server. Now I know I might get a lot of heat from this but I changed "The Sidge of Barag Gor" around quite a bit. Some new text, new objectives and an entireally new map.

Now I am trying to make it good and interesting enough that the devs include it in the offical pacakge eventually but I really don't know how well I am doing on that unless you people tell me. So far I have been running on what I myself personally like and what few comments I have picked up along the way. So please let me know one way or another.

Oh, and one little thing:
Squig wrote:i ve been testing sotbe, and noticed that shamans' exp seems to be reduced to 0 at the beginning of the following scenario. As it only happens in the scenario after the siege one, i guess it s a bug.
For all that matters, I fixed that :-) It was just one of those little things that wasn't hard to do at all, so... might as well eh :wink:

dtw

Post by dtw »

Yeah! This campaign was good - a bit short admittedly and the exploding bridge could have been telegraphed a bit better - why does it explode threee turns before the end? Seeing as the game is over after that why not just reduce the turns by three and make it clearer that any unit over the bridge will be lost at the end of the scenario?

Also, it should be made clearer that the last level is the final battle and so you can recall everyone you can. I got to the end and thought, wow, I could have recalled everyone and made less effort to keep them alive, as most people do in the last level of HttT
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

dibblethewrecker wrote:Yeah! This campaign was good - a bit short admittedly and the exploding bridge could have been telegraphed a bit better - why does it explode threee turns before the end? Seeing as the game is over after that why not just reduce the turns by three and make it clearer that any unit over the bridge will be lost at the end of the scenario?

Also, it should be made clearer that the last level is the final battle and so you can recall everyone you can. I got to the end and thought, wow, I could have recalled everyone and made less effort to keep them alive, as most people do in the last level of HttT
Thanks for the imput dibblethwreker. Actually, the last few scenarios are the same as the offical verson, since I haven't gotten to them yet. And, the last scenario isn't the last one either, that message was just put there as kind of a pach up untill someone would compleate the scenario, which is what I am hoping to do.

Check the changelog.txt file inside the SotBE folder in you campaigns folder to see what has been changed so far and let me know what you think of them.

dtw

Post by dtw »

You have too spelling mistakes in dialogue on scenario one /week/weak/ /mach/match

The new seige is daft - I have no interest in trying to kill 4 Elvish Marshalls with level one orc units - you must be having a laugh. And what exactly does "Break the seige" entail?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

dibblethewrecker wrote:You have too spelling mistakes in dialogue on scenario one /week/weak/ /mach/match
Right :oops: Thanks for pointing that out. If anyone hasn't noticed, I ain't the best speller in the world.
The new seige is daft - I have no interest in trying to kill 4 Elvish Marshalls with level one orc units - you must be having a laugh. And what exactly does "Break the seige" entail?

Hmmm, so after two, possibley three scenarios are you telling me that you have absoloutley no level 2 units? Or ones that are even close to level two? Tell you what, how about I beat the scenario myself and post a replay. And besides, as people have pointed out before, it is supposed to be hard.

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

dibblethewrecker wrote: The new seige is daft - I have no interest in trying to kill 4 Elvish Marshalls with level one orc units - you must be having a laugh. And what exactly does "Break the seige" entail?
Ok, I beat it and here is the replay. I know it is on easy, but I actually think that is a bit TOO easy.

And BTW, version 0.3 is out. I basically fixed up the diologe, fixed a few bugs and spiced up "Black Flag" a bit.
Attachments
The_Siege_Of_Barag_Gór_replay.txt
I added the ext "txt" so the fourm would accept the attachment. I THINK it'll still work
(62.68 KiB) Downloaded 504 times

dtw

Post by dtw »

No, I have about two level twos. And, no, as I said, I'm not even interested to try to do it - the whole battle has YAWN written all over it. It's just like the last secnario of HttT - it's just one massive hack and slash through ridiculously tough opponents, except at least on HttT you have some good units - why have FOUR elven marshalls for crying out loud? Who wants to even try and kill one of them with level one units - where is the FUN in that?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

*shrugs* It's up to you, but I played it and I had fun and it was NOT a big huge battle, especially consitering you only have about 200 gold to start off with. And the fun in killing four elvish marshels is that you surround them so they don't attack and then level up your units :). Anyhow why don't you try playing it before you make any judgements.

dtw

Post by dtw »

I was watched your reply before you reply and had intended to come back and apologise. I saw from your reply that you have set the AI of the marshals to be very agressive so they come off the keeps and don't sit there recruiting - that would have made them very hard to dislodge! If I had played first before complaining I would have know that so I apologise sincerely.

I shall now resume my job as head tester :) starting over with 0.3
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

It's alright, don't worry about it. Thanks for taking a look at it and testing it out. :)

dtw

Post by dtw »

I played it! I lost a shamen on turn 3 through no fault of my own. The elves got lucky and decimated the Northern defense in a turn. My second effort I did much better. I really think the habour of Tigrez needs looking at tho:

a) where IS the harbour?!
b) why ARE the undead there
c) the river serves no tactical benefit...

Generally that could use a better map - I think it needed more work than the Seige to be honest...I appreciate the tactical variety of the level, hills north/swamp south but it makes little sense that you would need to defeat both enemies...

Watching your replay made me realize how I was not using enough grunts. I have switched to more grunts and have several level 2 and even a level 3...
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

dibblethewrecker wrote:I played it! I lost a shamen on turn 3 through no fault of my own. The elves got lucky and decimated the Northern defense in a turn. My second effort I did much better.
:) Glad to hear it.
I really think the habour of Tigrez needs looking at tho:

a) where IS the harbour?!
b) why ARE the undead there
c) the river serves no tactical benefit...

Generally that could use a better map - I think it needed more work than the Seige to be honest...I appreciate the tactical variety of the level, hills north/swamp south but it makes little sense that you would need to defeat both enemies...
Actually, this scenario isn't at the harbour of Tigrez. This happens when the party stops to rest on the way, I perhaps should have made that more clear. If you look at the map before the scenario starts you will see that you aren't at the harbour yet. "Black Flag" Is the scenario where you reach the Harbour of Tigrez.