First Wesnoth 1.0 release candidate

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

@ Guest:
It should not mention it, because it still is in CVS. It is only removed because it is incomplete, but development on it is going on.
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

guest wrote:Hello.

Changelog (changelog.wesnoth.org) doesn't seem to mention the removal of TDH. It probably should?
I think that's because it isn't really gone. If you do a CVS pull, you will get a copy of it.
I hope to be able to start making significant improvements to it in about a month. I got asked to work on a web interface for downloading campaigns and I am only part way through that. I also need to do a bit more work on the 'test' difficulty level to make it reset gold and remove recallable units (and possibly reset Gwiti's level).
After that I plan to go through map by map fixing things up and adjusting difficulty levels. And then I will reevaluate my time availability an enthusiasm to see if I want to add in the secnarios that the original author had planned, leave it as is, or make up my own ending to the campaign.
Dwarven Lord

Post by Dwarven Lord »

:shock: Does any one have any idea why 1.orc1 is smaller in size to 9.7? :shock:
The Dwarven Lord has spoken!
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

I wanted to say congrats to. :D

Vey exciting :)
The darksteel eye

For a wesnoth strategie guide click here----------> http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7109
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Dwarven Lord wrote::shock: Does any one have any idea why 1.orc1 is smaller in size to 9.7? :shock:
That is rather easy to answer: We left some things out. All translations that are not core-complete were completely left out. The translations that do all have all the core packages translated do only include the files they really got complete. Eg Latin does not include the translation of "Eastern Invasion" and "The Rise of Wesnoth", because these are not completed.
We also left out Tthe campaign "The Dark Hordes" completely. It is not complete enough to be included in a 1.0, so we left it out of the release candidate, too.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Just checking... 'Release Candidate' mean this is a beta of 1.0, right?

So, is there a multiplayer server that still uses 0.9.7?
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Kestenvarn wrote:Just checking... 'Release Candidate' mean this is a beta of 1.0, right?

So, is there a multiplayer server that still uses 0.9.7?
It is the same kind of Beta like 0.x releases are. It more and not less. In the open source world an release candidate is often better polished and more stable than a final in the closed source world. I think Wesnoth in in a far better shape at the moment than many commercial games that are rushed out and do need hundreds of patches, to work at least sometimes.
And at least the official server does not support 0.9.7 anymore, to make sure that the rc is well tested before we release it.
dms

Post by dms »

1.0 release candidate! Great work! Congrats to everyone involved. :D
wisdomless

Post by wisdomless »

Uh... I've got, issues!
:?:
In 0.9.7 I was able to go into the units and multiplayer.cfg files and tweak unit stats, make new units and change the multiplayer recruit list and all sorts of other stuff. (I could change the game to my liking.) Now in 1.0rc1 (or what ever you call it) I can't. Did you change the ability to do this, so people wouldn't enter the sever with modified units (even though it would only un-sync the games and not really work) or is the problem with my computer?
:?:
If stupidity got me into this, it should get me out.

Most pointless statement of the year award goes to me!
"People are lazy unless they care."
I'd like to thank unsung for this award... and all the people who helped make this possible...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

wisdomless wrote: In 0.9.7 I was able to go into the units and multiplayer.cfg files and tweak unit stats, make new units and change the multiplayer recruit list and all sorts of other stuff. (I could change the game to my liking.) Now in 1.0rc1 (or what ever you call it) I can't. Did you change the ability to do this
We didn't change the ability to do this, and you should still be able to do it.

Unfortunately, you didn't give any details as to what your problem is when you try to do it, so we can't really diagnose it.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
wisdomless

Post by wisdomless »

Sorry...

Okay, here's my deal. In 0.9.7 I changed the stats of many characters, and added a whole new era for multiplayer (I called it the cool era, if you were wondering). Each race (elves, humans, orcs, undead, etc) all had extra leaders, more units to recruit and most units could level up past level three. I even made my own race of pure custom characters. That's the stuff I did. Then I saw 1.0rc1 was out, so I downloaded and installed it (I did not overwrite 0.9.7). After playing with 1.0rc1 I tried to use my custom characters and race. I open the files (the specific units and the multiplayer.cfg file) make the changes, save the files and start the game (this is what I did for 0.9.7). No change. So I figured I would just use 0.9.7 for my custom stuff, but now the changes I make don't change 0.9.7 at all. Is this a personal problem?

Hey, thank you guys for taking the time to help me out a bit...
If stupidity got me into this, it should get me out.

Most pointless statement of the year award goes to me!
"People are lazy unless they care."
I'd like to thank unsung for this award... and all the people who helped make this possible...
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Sithrandel Mac Binary is now at:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wesn ... g?download

It would be very helpful to hear from any Mac users still using 10.2.8 as to whether this works. If it turns out there aren't any 10.2.8 users left then it would make sense to increase the minimum requirements to 10.3 :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

wisdomless wrote:Sorry...

Okay, here's my deal. In 0.9.7 I changed the stats of many characters, and added a whole new era for multiplayer (I called it the cool era, if you were wondering). Each race (elves, humans, orcs, undead, etc) all had extra leaders, more units to recruit and most units could level up past level three. I even made my own race of pure custom characters. That's the stuff I did. Then I saw 1.0rc1 was out, so I downloaded and installed it (I did not overwrite 0.9.7). After playing with 1.0rc1 I tried to use my custom characters and race. I open the files (the specific units and the multiplayer.cfg file) make the changes, save the files and start the game (this is what I did for 0.9.7). No change. So I figured I would just use 0.9.7 for my custom stuff, but now the changes I make don't change 0.9.7 at all. Is this a personal problem?

Did you simply copy the files over? If you did that, it might not have affected the modification time of the files, and thus not reset Wesnoth's cache. Make a small change to one cfg file and try restarting, to make sure. Or delete the cache directory.

Also make sure the date/time on your computer is correct.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
scott

Post by scott »

wisdomless wrote:Sorry...

Another option is for you to store all of that in the user data directory. Download the Demo MP era and change it to suit your needs. If you want to have your custom L4 units visible in game, you can do that too. There is information in the wiki on how. Just so you know, your L4 units will need to use the [advancefrom] tag if you decide to do it this way.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Sithrandel wrote:It would be very helpful to hear from any Mac users still using 10.2.8 as to whether this works. If it turns out there aren't any 10.2.8 users left then it would make sense to increase the minimum requirements to 10.3 :)
It should be interesting to know, but if the build does not run on 10.2, very few users on 10.2 are reading this forum and you may have no answer.

According Omnigroup software update statistics at http://update.omnigroup.com/ only 1% of theyre referenced user still use Mac OS X 10.2. The following of Battle for Wesnoth may be different, but it should not touch many more people. At least, they don't complaint much.

If somebody has access to BfW web site statistcs, we could have a Idea of 10.2 users counting visitors using old version of Safari.