People flooding mp server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hellrider

People flooding mp server

Post by Hellrider »

Tonight a dumb guy joined the server and started flooding for about 5 minutes, admitting he just wanted to annoy the people there.. This is not just a rare episode but something that is getting as more frequent as the game reaches 1.0
Although some of the players in lobby told him to stop, he just kept spamming because he knew there were nobody who could kick him (or ban him) from the server.. Eventually he gave up but the problem (except he could spam for another 1 hour) is that he made the server lag..

I think something should be done very soon, because i think (as many other players) that when the game will reach 1.0 (and become more popular), many other spammers are likely to flood the server even more :?

Maybe a bot who just check (and if needed, kick like in irc) people that are flooding, could be a solution; otherwise a sort of moderator (chosen from trusty players) who has the same privileges..

Sorry for the long post and my bad english :P
Disto

Post by Disto »

Could make a minimum time between posts, like 5 seconds where it will post the next post he writes after that time and then if he does like one before the next 1 is cued to go then it doesn't post it.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Phyvo

Post by Phyvo »

...or you could go with what has worked in chat rooms for ages and appoint moderators, possibly with bots.

Really, all the 5 second thing would do is reduce him to speaking every 5 seconds. The chat room would still be filled with "OMG LOL I WAN ATENTION!1"
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

*admittedly new to multiplayer*

You mean BfW doesn't have something as simple as an ignore function?

:?
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

perhapes there should be an option where devs can kick people or players to vote people out of the main server(not recommended). I think the block or ignore option is probably good.
You cannot ride a roller coaster if you are under 4 feet tall unless you are older than 16 years old.
unsung

Post by unsung »

it woul dstill lag the server.
I sya we allow trusted people to ban.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
scott

Post by scott »

The method they use to counter denial of service attacks or password-breaking might work. The server puts up increasingly more resistance the more traffic you send, finally kicking you out.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Maybe simple rule, if somebody write 3 messages in time shorter then 3 sec
then get kicked, next time he becomes banned for hour, next time for one hour more et cetera et cetera.(i.e. 1 time - kick, 2 - one hour ban, 3 - two hours, 4 - 3, 5 - 4, etc.)
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

The problem with that is, that he can appear with another name then, the only means to avoid that, is identification by IP, but then he can go to an another computer (at a friends place for example). So that won't stop spamming, all it can do, is disencourage them.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

martenzo wrote:The problem with that is, that he can appear with another name then, the only means to avoid that, is identification by IP, but then he can go to an another computer (at a friends place for example).
If after a few messages the person will have to change computer, I think this is enough to prevent server from lagging.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I agree that people who flood, curse and chose weird nicks (Hitler,Stalin etc) are starting to be a plague on wesnoth MP server.
Half year ago, meeting someone impolite on server during a game/chat in the main lobby was a really rare thing. Now, when Wesnoth is more and more popular I see every day people who curse _a_lot_ without reason, who flood etc...
I agree we need something to deal with it. I'm just afraid that "bot" isn't solution - people would learn how to deal with it.
I think best solution would be make something like operators system on irc chanell - people who would be often on MP (and who would be trusted) would be able to kick/ban people.
And here again I propose idea: allowing to register nick - it would block nick, but it wouldn't be needed to play on MP
Last edited by Dragonking on September 26th, 2005, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
scott

Post by scott »

martenzo wrote:The problem with that is, that he can appear with another name then, the only means to avoid that, is identification by IP, but then he can go to an another computer (at a friends place for example). So that won't stop spamming, all it can do, is disencourage them.
It's not that bad of an idea. Getting a new IP on dialup is a matter of dialing back into the ISP, which is a PITA if you're getting banned every 5 minutes. Under broadband I don't know, but having to get a new IP address often could be just as much a deterrent as having to get a new user ID if there were registered nicknames.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think mods and bot(and banning to dont make them useless) is first thing wich should be added to MP after 1.0.

EDIT: I didnt wrote why: I(maybe somebody other too?) see more and more nasty peoples on MP.
qwhitmye

This Might Work

Post by qwhitmye »

A system could be implemented like America's Army did. Allow people to send a command to kick the annoying person off. A request is made for everyone to vote. Should enough votes get placed (some high percent of people in the room) the person is voted off.

Could be worth a try

Q
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Re: This Might Work

Post by Kestenvarn »

qwhitmye wrote:A system could be implemented like America's Army did. Allow people to send a command to kick the annoying person off. A request is made for everyone to vote. Should enough votes get placed (some high percent of people in the room) the person is voted off.
That sounds interesting. How about instead of kicking the player, though, it just places them under permasilence?