mage sketch

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mith

mage sketch

Post by Mith »

Ignoring what has been said about mages and their staves (see http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9970) I made a drawing of a mage, about to throw a fireball to his nearby enemy. He is facing to his left.

It's not quite finished, his robe lacks 'some' outline, the poor guy has no hands yet, and his face is just a shadow. But I think it's quite clear what it should become.

Any suggestions for improvement? Hints, tips, critics?
Attachments
scetch of a mage
scetch of a mage
mage-scetch.png (21.18 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Last edited by Mith on February 23rd, 2006, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P --> Q if there are many about to P
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Looks a bit lumpy. :|
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
db0

Post by db0 »

Sorta looks like a shaolin monk to me ;)
Mortles

Post by Mortles »

me too :lol:
Nobody's perfect. Only present perfect is perfect."

--A gramatical discusion in a Wesnoth game
Mith

Post by Mith »

db0 wrote:Sorta looks like a shaolin monk to me ;)
Whould that for you be a problem if you are told he is a white mage? ;)
gpetersz

Post by gpetersz »

This one is a very early status of a sketch but already has some problems. They should be corrected before you continue with this because later they will be much bigger ones. The leg above the knee is too long, and the foot are totally deformed at the moment. The upper body is a little squary (built with too straight lines) but it can be corrected later.

The pose is dynamic enough and as little can be seen at this stage this one could be a cool image.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

gpetersz wrote:They should be corrected before you continue with this because later they will be much bigger ones.
Yeah, can ruin it very easily (like it did this one, which I have semi abandoned for now untill I get better.)

Reth
Mith

Post by Mith »

gpetersz wrote:This one is a very early status of a sketch but already has some problems. They should be corrected before you continue with this because later they will be much bigger ones. The leg above the knee is too long, and the foot are totally deformed at the moment. The upper body is a little squary (built with too straight lines) but it can be corrected later.

The pose is dynamic enough and as little can be seen at this stage this one could be a cool image.
Thanks for comment, and welcome!
I assume you're talking about his left leg.
In my first sketches, the figure had no robe (but jeans). After dressing it with a robe, some proportions have been altered, which I didn't correct afterwards. I'll shorten his leg as soon as I continue. The torso has been modified since I posted the very first version.
Foot are a source of trouble, I didn't yet bother correcting them (In fact, I only added them for myself to have a vague idea in what direction they should point - but I doubt the current direction is the right one.)

attached current version (without modified leg)
Attachments
mage-sketch.png
mage-sketch.png (24.57 KiB) Viewed 3184 times
gpetersz

Post by gpetersz »

Now, here the upper body became much better. Yes I meant the left leg, I think it connects to the hips (my poor english, I am sorry) too low.
Now only this and the two feet what seems wrong, the outline starts to get quite good.
Sea Elf

Post by Sea Elf »

Is it just me or does his head look a little... wierd
I got lost in thought, it was unknown territory.

The Outcasts need your feedback

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9449
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Mith wrote:Whould that for you be a problem if you are told he is a white mage? ;)
Uh... yes. :?

My understanding is that white magi are more like robed clergymen than shaolin monks. I am fairly certain this is the orthodox interpretation. ;)

Anyway, the image is decent, but to me it looks more like someone pointing to the sky and going, "Hey, look, my finger is pointing up!" than someone casting a spell. Perhaps it could turn into a good "prayer" portrait - the mage has his hand outstretched towards the sky, and a contemplative look on his face.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Somewhat Off-Topic: Looking at the sprites i discovered that Dark Arts magi seem to be using nun habits. Adepts have a belt, Necromancers don't and are marked with the a blue line adn some sort of cowl, and Sorcerors have a rectangular mantle clamped by a seal/mark.

Rerailing: For Loyalist magi, they seem to be wearing robes with wide arms, hoods and belts , so for this, i concur with turin saying it looks to "shaolin", although is mostly about the look of the lines below the waist. However:
In my first sketches, the figure had no robe (but jeans). After dressing it with a robe, some proportions have been altered, which I didn't correct afterwards.
If that piece is going to be colored as a robe, then i think it will look okay :) . Keep it up, something good is bound to come out of it, experience and practice at the very least.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
JW

Post by JW »

It's hard to critique a piece of work that has so little done so far. All that can really be reflected on is the stance; and I must agree with Turin about that.
Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Post by Lu Mong »

turin wrote: Anyway, the image is decent, but to me it looks more like someone pointing to the sky and going, "Hey, look, my finger is pointing up!" than someone casting a spell. Perhaps it could turn into a good "prayer" portrait - the mage has his hand outstretched towards the sky, and a contemplative look on his face.
In Wesnoth mages have staves... even the white mage(It is with ankh on end, but it is still staff... :lol: ) So I suppose that if he would draw the staff in the lower-positioned hand and used the upper hand to cast the spell from the ankh on the top of the staff I suppose the pose is okay...
Darkness beyond twilight,
More crimson than the blood that flows,
Lost in the depths of time,
I call upon thy name!
gpetersz

Post by gpetersz »

Sea Elf wrote:Is it just me or does his head look a little... wierd
I think the head is not at all finished at the moment. It is just there to provide some... placeholding.... or something. To be there to see the balance.