Yeti Portrait

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

This portrait is not bad, though the purple face is a little strange, as neither the wesnoth unit neither most of the yeti drawings are like that.
Also, he looks a little to friendly to me, he isn't attacking or looking very dangerous here.
Other than that the drawing is pretty good.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Tux2B wrote:This portrait is not bad, though the purple face is a little strange, as neither the wesnoth unit neither most of the yeti drawings are like that.
You sure about that? :wink:

I think that he should have hair covering his eyes (it's more or less that way in the unit image). He's a special unit anyway, and not seeing the eyes would make him appear even more "mysterious", for lack of a better term. Also, more fuzzyness would be nice, the hair is indeed quite flat.
Attachments
yeti.png
yeti.png (13.8 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
im the one you think of

Post by im the one you think of »

I think the face should have some highlighting, IMHO it looks a little flat and doesnt fit in with the rest of the portrait otherwise, more like a silhouette than a portrait, maybe some dark grey sections near the nose and eyes. I really like the teeth though, and the fur doesnt look flat to me.

good luck.
Ssshh! I'm secretly male.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

zookeeper wrote:
Tux2B wrote:This portrait is not bad, though the purple face is a little strange, as neither the wesnoth unit neither most of the yeti drawings are like that.
You sure about that? :wink:
IMO, you should more look at the general impression you get of a unit than what you see when you zoom in. Maybe you can make the face a little less white, like it is on the normal size unit, but this is too purple. It gives you the impression that the yeti is frozen.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
gpetersz

Post by gpetersz »

Yes on the sprite you got much white and grays and little purple, on the portrait you got too much of that purple. Anyway I am awaiting the next version the base is really cool so the image has great potential.
toms

Post by toms »

I advise you to get (partly) rid of the outlines and try to replace them with shadings, or at leats make them thinner. Good work, anyway :)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

*Questing for lost art*

Did this get abandoned? I thought he looked awesome...
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

I wanted to redraw the Yeti but at the moment I don't have any motivation and time to do it.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Ahh, okay. Well I do hope you come back to it sometime. :)
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."