New Dire-Wolf image?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
deonjo

Post by deonjo »

Thrawn wrote:
deonjo wrote:doesn't anybody think the last animation makes it look like the wolf is walking backwards?
this is only because it looks like he should be moving forward, but is standing still--optical illusion.
I see. thank you for the clarification :wink:
JW

Post by JW »

Creative Mechanism wrote:I agree. I can probably figure out what's going wrong with the shadow, but what's going wrong with the head?
Well, the wolf's face is entirely black. It's just a color issue, not a form issue like the shadow.
Creative Mechanism

another try

Post by Creative Mechanism »

and now, for something different. Do they need to be flatter, and if so, what do you think keeps them from flatness. What else is wrong? The Goblin isn't done, by the way, but I'm having a little trouble with him.
Attachments
walk-S-b.gif
walk-S-b.gif (11.58 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
walk-NE-b.gif
walk-NE-b.gif (15.32 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
walk-SE-b.gif
walk-SE-b.gif (15 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
deonjo

Post by deonjo »

I think it has that "The Incredibles" look. The skin is too smooth, and shiny. I Think the wesnothian style is more rougher, and the skin is not as "plush" if I may. I hope that helps... :?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Make all of the limbs, including those of the goblin, much thicker.
toms

Post by toms »

Either the current goblins are too big or the goblin riding this wolf is too small. :?

And please use transparent background. :)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Creative Mechanism

slowly. Very, very slowly.

(1) transparency: Please let me know if you're doing something with these that requires their background to be transparent. I consider these works in progress, and so don't want to spend the time to take out the background until I get a more complete image. But, if it makes a difference, I will.

(2) stuff I'm doing now: The legs still need to be bigger and lighter. I'm running into some problems with this, though, and will continue to work on it. The wolf's head, too, will appear more attached.

(3) size: I was trying to make the wolf match the size of that in the original image, but looking at it now I think maybe I went a little too far. It looks like it should probably be a little bigger, but still smaller than it was. what do you think?
Attachments
NE.gif
NE.gif (18 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
SE.gif
SE.gif (20.38 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
JW

Post by JW »

Wow, that looks really cool. But shouldn't the wolves head be moving as it walks? It looks wuite unnatural as it currently is.
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

I find the animation really impressive! The only remark I have, that I don't totally guarantee because riding a wolf may be quiet different from riding a horse, is that I would expect the rider to look always in the same direction, so its head shouldn't move. In fact, normally, the rider should do a big effort so that the part of his body higher than his waist doesn't move (makes sense if you imagine all the task he may have to perform : looking-around, fighting, shooting with any weapon and so on...) Of course, goblins are not necessarily good riders :P
entropomorphic

Post by entropomorphic »

Actually I think the latest animation is near perfect, although the image in general could use a bit of color differentiation. Goblins are chaotic, scatterbrained creatures; one would not describe them as "focused", so swaying around a lot on the wolf makes sense. It also gives a sense that the goblin doesn't entirely have control of his mount, which is probably accurate. The wolf, on the other hand, looks straight ahead as he strides, giving a sense of predatory stealth.

Good job.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Looking Good! I do missed the goblin crouched over the back of the wolf in movement, but his straight up posture would be good for the standing frame.

Minor tweaks: The bandana should move and not stick straight out the back of the head. Also, the goblin's right arm seems out of place.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Shouldn't his headband or bandana or whatever that is wave in the wind a little instead of being perfectly stiff?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Creative Mechanism

With the heart-stopping speed of and grace of tectonic plates, the direwolf progresses!

I still intend to screw with the goblin's face and fix the needle nose shadow. Anything else before I start working on it by hand?

Should I add more teeth and claws to make the image consistent? I'm worried that doing this will clutter up the various angles.
Attachments
NE.gif
NE.gif (21.58 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
SE.gif
SE.gif (22.19 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

This is really getting good. But, since you asked, here are a few more minor quibbles. These are image specific

SE, the rear hip looks odd. Perhaps a little more body to the inside of it would be good.

SW. The front right paw (which looks good in the SE picture) seems a little wobbly or fluid, if that makes sense.

Although the red bandana and saddle are good for testing purposes, you may want to change them to the magenta used in the team coloring macros. Team coloring is flexible enough that you could use the red if necessary, although if you do that, I would suggest using a pure red (maybe you did already)
Creative Mechanism

Thanks

Thank you, as always, for your suggestions. I'll get working on them.

I'd be happy to change the red. I'm using it in order to stay consistent with the original image...

If I wanted to suggest these for use within the game (when done and with the other requisite animations), what else would I need to do? Could I change the color for team coloring?