New attack buttons - scratchpad

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
JW

Post by JW »

Okay, so I redid the wrong part of the crossguard. :P

At least what I worked on came out good. Thanks for the assessment.
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

JW, it appears to me now that I may have been rude posting my icon just after you without excuses! I think I have been working at this icon exactly at the same time than you! I'm sorry for that, I meant no offense.

Thanks for the nice comments everybody! You're right with the hilt, but I won't be able to fix it within, let's say, about 24 hours at least, so if you want to have a go before that you are most welcome.

Thanks maeglin for the explanation, the concept was just for fun but your post was informative.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

For what it's worth, I've committed the following, which is Leonhard's icon with very minor perspective corrections.

Leonhard, you are of course encouraged to work on further improvements, if you see anything that needs doing. I think what I did here fixes the hilt, but, given that I didn't see this at all in the first place, I could be wrong. :)
Attachments
woodensword.png
woodensword.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Thanks! Well, I'd say it's okay for me :D
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Leonhard wrote:Thanks maeglin for the explanation, the concept was just for fun but your post was informative.
No problem. Swordliness is one thing I have a good bit of knowledge and practical experience with. Hard part around here is knowing when realism actually matters.... I figured close-up images if the weapons isn't a bad place.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
JW

Post by JW »

Leonhard wrote:JW, it appears to me now that I may have been rude posting my icon just after you without excuses! I think I have been working at this icon exactly at the same time than you! I'm sorry for that, I meant no offense.
It's alright. Your icon is obviously better. I'll just need to work on my skills some more. Doing that gave me a little bit of confidence.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

For whom it may concern, there are several icons I can see a use for, and which I'd like to have made, either by myself, or someone else. I hope these get made prior to 1.2, since we can use them immediately.

• Elven longsword - this is what the captain and hero use; it's a straight sword, probably double-edged, but that's not set in stone.
• Elven Greatsword - this is the monster the Elven champion carries around.
• Naga sword - somewhat like a "wickedly"-serrated scimitar. Jormungandr had a decent depiction of it in his portraits.
• A generic, gnarled wooden "walking-staff", suitable for lots of staff uses (e.g. not explicitly magical).
• A staff suitable for saurians - should look different than the human staff, but look like the saurian augur line sprites.
• A weapon like those strange axe/sword hybrids carried by the deathblade.

Also, the following two need finishing:
• Troll warhammer
• Wose "slam"

I'm not going to touch these for a little while, since I need to finish some sprites first.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

OK I did a blade for the aragwaith for a while. It would be a lie if I say it was a quick one. So it could be for use here.

(A good example for overdone ambient light)

So if you don't mind I would like to make a suggestion, someone gives me a quick overview how to shade reflecting metal convincingly (this drives my nuts really Image) and I'll put my teeth into some staffs.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
JW

Post by JW »

I rotated it to fit with the rest of the icons. I think it looks better being aligned this way.

(some of it got moved by a pixel apparently)

-edit-
fixed shift problem
Attachments
bgaragblade2ju1.png
bgaragblade2ju1.png (6.22 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Note for wayfarer: That's well drawn, but I think the the "composition" of a small image of a sword is best when it shows an equal proportion of blade and hilt.

In other news, I've edited together some new wose-crush and troll hammer icons from the previous ones (not a proverbial saying, I really did put some of the previous ones into these, even though they look very different).

I've committed them, but of course this is not the "final word" on these icons; if people want to try improving them, please do.
Attachments
hammer-troll.png
hammer-troll.png (7.38 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
wose-crush.png
wose-crush.png (8.25 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
JW

Post by JW »

It took me 3 seconds to figure out how to see that hammer. Something about the shading/reflection threw me off. I believe it's the reflection on the part of the hammer closest to us that throws me off.

Nice Wose icon though. Colorful too.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Troll hammer is too zoomed in. Wose slam is bonzer.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I like the "green" blade, it could be great for some poison attacks.
The wose crush is nice, and so is the hammer, but i think they would gain from being zoomed out a bit.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Unfortunately, I agree with those comments on the trollhammer; it looks like a mis-shapen axe at first glance (the white part).

That green-lighted blade would be a very clever way to represent a poison attack. I think I like that better than resorting to the "gutted teenage mutant ninja turtle" effect.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Jetryl wrote:Note for wayfarer: That's well drawn, but I think the the "composition" of a small image of a sword is best when it shows an equal proportion of blade and hilt.

I like it as is (JW's rotation beside which looks better indead. ) so I won't change it.
Else I just like to get some feedback to my question else I will just go my way.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields