Elf Portrait art thread: Archer by Ranger M

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

perfect, not so revealing that it debases the whole portrait into a flesh fest, but enough to give a naturalistic feel.

BTW her hand seems to be a ball, is this going to be some kind of glowing magic ball.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Ranger M wrote:perfect, not so revealing that it debases the whole portrait into a flesh fest, but enough to give a naturalistic feel.

BTW her hand seems to be a ball, is this going to be some kind of glowing magic ball.
bingo! it was either that or 3/4 back view with turned head and well placed arms ;)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

That actually looks good, feels good too.

I hereby present my respects before this show.

*bows*

Although, IIRC, protuding ears weren't well endorsed in the Wesnothian view.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

same "curving material around round limb" problem that this fellow had:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 964#130964

That said... uh... wow. You've actually got some significant potential there. :o Hard to believe you're the same guy who drew the earlier picture posted in this same thread.

The positioning of the facial features is close to being right, but just slightly off - nudge the eyes down a tad, and move the nose/mouth in from the side a tad. Also, her left eye (her left, meaning right side of page) is in too far; it should lie closer to the center.

The arm to the front is quite well done, actually, especially the shoulder/biceps part. The general ideas behind the fabric folding are well-done too, although some of the folds near the bottom are a bit iffy. (the two folds at the very top are spot on, and the pulling of the fabric to the rings is also well-informed. Draping of the hair is more-or-less correct.

One thing that looks bad is the legs, especially the lower legs. The stance is balanced, but the way that one leg juts in just ... doesn't look right. I suspect what's goofing it up is that the fabric superimposed on top is hanging as though the leg ain't there, and the lower leg is shaped completely wrong (do not confuse with position/orientation - those are alright). The general position of the legs .... should ... be right, although I'd be a lot more sure if all those things I noted above were cleaned up.

:) Good luck. Doing a good, professional job is hard, and you've got a hard way to go before then, but you have talent - keep applying the work, and you will get there. Faster than many other, less fortunate people.
JW

Post by JW »

Wow, that's hawt. Other than her legs being a little too meaty, and if you're picky like Jetryl, all the stuff he said, it's just plain great!!

-edit-

ps, I just realized why everyone can do art so fast... THEY DRAW IT!!!

I've been doing pixel-by-pixel artwork over here. :(
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

same here, so my portrait will go way slower than most,

1. it's full body
2. I have no scanner, so that means that it takes longer to do outlines, and get perfectly happy with shape (I tried the face last night, and still don't even have a basic outline done)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

JW wrote:Wow, that's hawt. Other than her legs being a little too meaty, and if you're picky like Jetryl, all the stuff he said, it's just plain great!!
thanks, but I'm glad Jetryl is so picky (and I find the legs okay, because I hate the impossibly thin anime legs people draw, so they won't change much)
ps, I just realized why everyone can do art so fast... THEY DRAW IT!!!

I've been doing pixel-by-pixel artwork over here. :(
yah, though my horrible attampts at using what I scanned end up really bad most of the time, so I end up doing rough sketches in Gimp, then antagonizing over it for hours--pixel by pixel :)

@Jetryl: thanks for the comments--looking back I see all the problems, but not bad for 10 minutes of German class :)

the reason this is better than those posted above is that I try too hard some times, and thus mess things up, and I also have much more experience drawing on paper.

Also, what were is this wraparound problem? I don't quite get what you are saying.

EDIT:I've redone it on the back side of the paper, and everything is flipped (it will be scanned by around 7:30 forum-time) It is just outlined, so not as stylized as this one.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

okay, updated it--fixed ears, and redid the skirt, as to try to get folds right.

Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

I find it impressive! :o :D

A few points that stroke me anyway : I found her right forearm a little bit wide compared to her biceps. And I wonder if the position would not look more natural if her right leg wasn't fold. But you decide of course!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Leonhard wrote:I find it impressive! :o :D

A few points that stroke me anyway : I found her right forearm a little bit wide compared to her biceps.
she's tensing her arm, and if you do that, the muscle at the elbow joint bulges a bit, which was what I was trying to show. Maybe it's coming off wrong, but.

Jastiv

My Elf Portrait

Post by Jastiv »

I truely do not expect this to get into the game. I don't even think it is suitable. I just couldn't help my elf.
Attachments
elven08.png
elven08.png (44.88 KiB) Viewed 3732 times
toms

Post by toms »

Am I allowed to say that I don´t like it much? :? :(
But you can kill me either because I can´t exactly say why.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

It's a good try, but the hair is too stringy, and the face is too dark.

apart from that I like it.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

IMO, it looks a little too fake. And there's too less contrast between the colours (especially the skin).
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Dark Paladin

Post by Dark Paladin »

The overall impression is that it is an elf, but some individual features are a bit inconsistant. The ears seem darker than they should be and also not... earish... enough.

Keep trying! :)
"I believe that God made me for china, but he also made me fast, and when I run I feel His pleasure." ~ Eric Liddel