New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Re: Ghoul death

Post by Jetrel »

Archenemy wrote:Hi all... so, this old login of mine still works :)
I've made a small Ghoul Death anim, it is really nothing special, 7 frames, it just simply lies down. A bit better than just disappearing.

In the zip there is also the cfg file that makes this anim work. Copy the images into images/units/undead, and copy the cfg file to data/units, overwriting the old one there. Then launch the game, choose undead, and build a lot of ghouls :)

Edit: i added an other cfg file, that also uses a sound when the unit dies.
As you said - not "kick us in the face" amazing, but it ain't bad at all. :)

Thanks, man - I'll have this committed.
Happy Ent

Post by Happy Ent »

I am trying to turn the Wose around. Some questions.

1) I think the "backhead" of the wose has more volume than the forehead (just like a human head is not a ball). This would mean that the wose-n and wose-nw sprites obscure more of the trunk. You can see this in the comparison below. As you can also see, I would need to add another few pixels of leaves at the top (and possibly sides) of the sprite and maybe change the shading a bit more to make the crown look rounder.

Q: Does wose-nw need a haircut?

2) Arms and ribbon. The original wose.png sprite proudly displays its team colour on a ribbon on its left. This arm would be obscured by the trunk in wose.png. I have repositioned the arms so that the ribbon is visible, but it doesn't look very clear. The easiest thing would be to put the ribbon on the Wose's right arm, which would be very visible in wose-nw.png. Since we are flipping sprites anyway to produce, say a SW-facing wose, this would be quite ok, wouldn't it?

Q: Can wose-nw have the ribbon on its right?

3) Roots and death. This is the biggest moral question. As you can see, the roots of wose-nw.png are exactly those of wose.png. This is out of laziness. While it would be absolutely possible for me to change the roots for wose-nw and wose-n, I don't know if I am able to produce the death animation for a falling NW and N Wose from scratch. It would likewise look stupid if a NW-facing Wose would begin its death-animation by making a nice little pirouette before it enters the death struggles of wose.png. This seems to be a problem with all directional sprites, but given the complexity of the falling wose the problem becomes extra pronounced. Frankly, I see to aesthetic reason to draw new roots for wose-nw, but still... retaining the trunk, roots, and most of the death animation for NW- and W-facing Woses is a cheap solution what Jetryl or others may oppose in principle. And it does become noticeable when a whole grove of Woses stands together, facing in different directions, like in the example below. Before I continue playing around with this, I'd like to know. As a compromise, just moving the second root from the left is enough for visible differentiation, and would make it possible to reuse at least the basic anatomy of EELuminatus' falling Wose.

Q: Can wose-nw inherit the roots of wose.png?
Attachments
two-woses.png
two-woses.png (15.37 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Well, I'm no authority, but my advice:

1. I'd just add the extra volume...if you gave the wose a haircut, you'd have to change the forward wose, right? The back of the wose you have now looks great. :)

2. I'd make a drawing to show what you propose...how Neo drew the wose, the ribbon wouldn't look good on the left hand, so you may have to change the arm positions. Remember..the berries are also TC, so if one can't see the ribbon from the back/NW, it shouldn't be too much of a problem...

3.I'd change it a tad, but as the roots seem to spiral out from the wose with a regular-ish pattern, I think you can get away with only slightly changed roots.

I'd wait for a person with more authority (Jetryl) to give his input before acting on my advice, however.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Here is a quick hack to show what can be done to the roots and a minor problem with the back of the 'head' in < 5minutes. New one is on the left.
Attachments
three_woses_.png
three_woses_.png (15.96 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Excellent - this is a very good step towards making the north attack animations for the wose (and a north animation will work very well as a stand-in for ne; much better than the current south animation, at least).

I'll tip my hat to rangerM's advice.

The big note is that the roots do need changing, but "changing to remove any distinctive features."

Just make sure most of the pixels are not the same between before and after; any patterns or shapes that are shared will be really obvious to the eye. They can be similar, but they can't be the same.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

about Q2: don't change the ribbon, it would look odd, and you don't need to show it.

It's an attack animation, it doesn't last... Unit recognisability is much much less an issue here than with base frames...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Jetryl wrote:I'll tip my hat to rangerM's advice.
Huh?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ranger M wrote:
Jetryl wrote:I'll tip my hat to rangerM's advice.
Huh?
"I _will acknowledge the saliency of_ rangerM's advice."

-or-

"Gosh, that rangerM fellow has decent advice, you should follow it."

:P
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Jetryl wrote:
Ranger M wrote: Huh?
"I _will acknowledge the saliency of_ rangerM's advice."

-or-

"Gosh, that rangerM fellow has decent advice, you should follow it."

:P
I believe Ranger M doesn't know what advice he posted...There isn't any one the last 3-4 pages, if not more :P
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Thrawn wrote:I believe Ranger M doesn't know what advice he posted...There isn't any one the last 3-4 pages, if not more :P
JET HAS LOST HIS MARBLES.

How the hell did I make THAT mistake? I suppose you spoke like him, and you both (now) have heavily green-hued avatars consisting of sprite graphics.

:oops: That's seriously embarrassing, though; you guys deserve better than that.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

EELuminatus wrote:So, here it is... version 3:
It may be partly because it was pointed out to me, but as he falls, I consistently see his face as a detached mask that hovers a good 6-12 inches in front of its normal location.
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

irrevenant wrote:It may be partly because it was pointed out to me, but as he falls, I consistently see his face as a detached mask that hovers a good 6-12 inches in front of its normal location.
Huh? - Sorry, I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. I'm used to the metric system (I could look up the length of an inch, though...:roll: ) and thus it's even harder for me to realize what you mean by inches in a pixel based sprite. 'Before' is a problematic expression in 2D-graphics, too, but to say in my own words:
the face does not appear to be 'in' the tree (like a trunk is supposed to be) but closer to the viewer, right?

Having a close look at it, I'd have to agree... any suggestions to solve it? Perhaps by making the face darker and less dynamic?
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

So, here's my 1st version of the falling over ancient wose... at least one thing I realized myself is that in the last frames, when hitting the ground, the upper pixels of the wose (crown till eyes) jump a bit too much downward. Will be fixed in the next version.

I'm sure you'll find more, though! :wink:

It didn't turn out as oversized as I expected, but it clearly touches adjacent hexes... I added our *new* grid for making this clear - hope it's not too distracting for watching the animation (I myself are a non-grid-user...)
Attachments
version 1 - falling over ancient wose
version 1 - falling over ancient wose
wose-ancient-fall-earth05.gif (147.16 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Re ancient wose death:

That's surprisingly good for a first try; in fact, if you fix the issue you yourself described with the face, that should be good as a final version.

There are a few very minor weirdnesses with the projection into 3d space, but let's be honest - it's absurd to try and fix them in a sprite drawn by hand. I can't really articulate what exactly would be wrong; in essence, we or practically any other professional spriter probably would not be capable of fixing them.

Really - it looks amazing. :D Thanks!
tsr

Post by tsr »

Ancient Wose: looks great, the only thing I can think about that would make it look even greater is turning the arms, the trees right arm doesn't need much but a small turning (counter clock wise seen from the elbow) and then back before hitting ground would be a small improvement.

What really bugs me (when studying the anim closely) is the left arm (what really looks nice with the right arm is how the hand falls flat on the ground) that could turn too.

But pls feel free to ignore this comment, you should probably trust Jet on this one (as he's the art dev and I'm a mere forum member).

/tsr