New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I've committed both the wose-decay and wose-fall animations.

The orc assassin and grunt animations have been assigned to one of our commit-lackeys.

:D Thanks a lot - the wose-fall animation matches perfectly with our current soundFX for the wose's death (and the wose-decay works fairly good with it, too).
JW

Post by JW »

All I can say is....

!!WOW!!
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

:shock: Yeah... whoa. This is nothing short of stunning.

I gotta say though, I really think the grunt needs some polish before he gets commited.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

So do you want me to try the wose-burning, using the flame-drawing method from mine but the burn patterns (top-down) of EELuminatus? (Or keeping my burn pattern idea? I'm willing either way)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Flametrooper wrote:So do you want me to try the wose-burning, using the flame-drawing method from mine but the burn patterns (top-down) of EELuminatus? (Or keeping my burn pattern idea? I'm willing either way)
I'd prefer that you work on this:

This is a cool idea, and it already looks very promising. If you can add several "in-between" frames to smooth things out, this puppy can get committed. Note that in some of these "in-between" frames, the knife will need to get rotated to angles that aren't currently drawn.

The wose-burning needs a radically different style of "drawing flames" - I suspect that if you work on that, you'll only get frustration and crappy results.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I know the falling wose has been committed, but one last suggestion if you would like:

The hole looks like it just 'appears' rather than the roots pulling out of the earth - could the lip of the hole lift up and out a little as the Wose begins falling?
Rev. V!

Post by Rev. V! »

How are you guys animating?
I have some frames for animations done to official specs, but how are you guys stringing everything together?

I looked in the tutorials, but they seem to be written with the assumption the reader already knows how to do this.....I don't, but I really wanna learn!

A little help?

thanks,

Rev. V!
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Which program is used?

With the gimp every single frame is moved into a separate layer than it must be saved as gif.

Or do you want to know how to make animations well good old try and fail you must love it. :)
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Rev. V!

Post by Rev. V! »

I'm using Photoshop 7.

I can do the layer save as a gif in PS7, right?

Thanks!

Rev. V!
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

You know that the .gif is only for convenience of the forum readers? Included into the game will be the sequence of .png files...
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

irrevenant wrote: - could the lip of the hole lift up and out a little as the Wose begins falling?
Don't know if I understood your suggestion correctly, but wouldn't the hole appear smaller again, that way? Others already said it was too small... :shock:
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Rev. V! wrote:I'm using Photoshop 7.

I can do the layer save as a gif in PS7, right?

Thanks!

Rev. V!
Beat me I use the 9 but I still run the gimp to make such stuff.

Anyway as torangan said gif would be just for show. .png files are also good.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

EELuminatus wrote:
irrevenant wrote: - could the lip of the hole lift up and out a little as the Wose begins falling?
Don't know if I understood your suggestion correctly, but wouldn't the hole appear smaller again, that way? Others already said it was too small... :shock:
I have no objections re: the hole size - it looks good.

To me, the animation looks like the Wose is falling back to reveal a hole that was sitting beneath him, rather than the hole being created as his roots tear from the soil as he falls.

I note in frames 6, 7 & 8 that the hole is becoming larger as his roots come up, so that's not what's bothering me.

I think it's probably a couple of things:
(1) there appears to be no dirt on/dripping from the portion of his roots that are pulled from the ground as he falls back; and
(2) the hole looks 'flat' (this is what I was alluding to in my original post) - IMO the edge of the hole should look more like a 'lip' - like the 'grass carpet' has been lifted up and is pointing more upwards. How to graphically represent that, I have no idea. :?

I tried to mock up an example of what I meant but unfortunately I don't have the skill. :(

[EDIT] Probably not as extreme, but something like: http://www.tacocat.com/pix/2006/06/11/slides/grass.jpg
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

True, that is bothering me as well, but I haven't found a way to rip the ground without getting too terrain-specific... I know the engine wouldn't have a problem with different animations, but having one for grass, one for sand, one for dirt, one for snow, etc. seemed a bit too much.

Don't know if it is doable... perhaps with some semi-transparent shading and highlights!? I may try, but I'm not overly confident, there.

[Still I don't know why a walking tree should even create a hole, but... eh...]
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

EELuminatus wrote:True, that is bothering me as well, but I haven't found a way to rip the ground without getting too terrain-specific... I know the engine wouldn't have a problem with different animations, but having one for grass, one for sand, one for dirt, one for snow, etc. seemed a bit too much.

Don't know if it is doable... perhaps with some semi-transparent shading and highlights!? I may try, but I'm not overly confident, there.

[Still I don't know why a walking tree should even create a hole, but... eh...]
:? Don't bother, it looks fine as it is.

I'd much rather you worked on doing the two similar animations for the ancient/elder woses.