New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I based how far back he pulls it from the origional 'animation', because I thought that there was a good reason for this (something along the lines of what you said), I could make it be drawn back further, but I would want more people to agree that it is a good idea first because I always accosiated them with being seriously weak.

and he is closing one eye in the frame, I always do that when I shoot a gun, so I would assume that archers would do it too.

ps it is actually two frames which are the same, I wanted it to look like he was pausing before fireing, obviously it didn't work.

BTW, jetryl, what do you think of these? you haven't posted yet.

BTW 2: are we redoing the defencive animations, or just leaving them as one frame, your post doesn't mention them.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Good bow frames have at least 4 frames. One with the bow holded unbent this frame can be used for the ranged defense and for the end and the beginning of the animation, for a good example look at the elvish sharpshooter.
Try to move the body a little he doesn't pluck a harp a good archer pulls the string until it won't get further.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

already did the first bit, there were five frames (although one was wrong, have corected that now), and the first and last frames were the same, I will however now move the body a bit, and make the bow go back further.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Ok, he now crouches, the bow is drawn back further, his arm isn't un-naturaly long in the second frame, and it is now six frames.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

The head could perhaps move a little bit in the direction he shoots at else it is quite good.

Perhaps you shouldn't post in the sticky start a new thread discuss your animations and post the finished result here.
The last a note the undead dark adebt line will get some smaller changes so animations for them might get lost.
The same goes for the Guard and the thunderer line which should be almost ready but aren't uploaded yet or need some smaller touch ups.
For the rest of these small buggers I've taken them under my tender loving care so beware the dwaraf might not be the worst :twisted: .
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

First and foremost, I want to preface this by thanking you for being willing to work on what really matters at wesnoth - making the core game better. It is much appreciated. The following critiques may be harsh and to the point, but don't get me wrong - you've already done a good deal of help, and these are intended to polish your work into world-class quality.

• Orc Archer Melee Attack: I often say "Move the feet!" However, when I say this, I mean, make his legs take an actual step or two. Right now, his legs do shift as he attacks, which would be fine if he were attacking from a standing position, but he's not - the unit moves on the map by quite a bit, actually, when he attacks.

Right now, this would look like "wesnoth on ice" - like the unit was sliding over the ground.

Other than that, this is fairly good.

• Orc Archer Death Animation: Good, by and large, except for some obvious cut-and-paste in sections. One major error lies in misalignment of frames, which should be easy to fix. He also needs to fall further forward; the ground plane in wesnoth is not a horizontal line, rather it's at a 45° angle - the unit will fall past "horizontal".

• Orc Archer Ranged Animation: Very good - the only things that need to be tweaked are a slight movement of the head (look at the elvish marksman's ranged attack, and look at how he moves his head), and much more presence of the elbow in the drawn-out arm pulling the bow-string. The elbow should jut out to the left side of the picture when the string is pulled all the way back - again, look at the elvish marksman.

• Lich Death Animation: Very bad. Proper use of transparency is hard to explain, but in this case, just leave the lich alone, because that entire line is being revised.

In fact, for now, let's only work on animations for the orcs.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Thank you for posting, I was actually expecting something like this so I don't think that it is harsh at all. (The only reason I moved onto the xbowman was because I got a bit bored waiting)

Orc archer melee: Actually when I think about this it is right, I was just baseing the animation on what was already in game (wesnoth on ice), I'll fix it soon.

Orc archer death: This was the second I did (after the lich), so I was expecting to have to fix it a bit, also I'll make him fall further forward. The only thing I don't understand is 'misalignment of frames', what does this mean? (I get the feeling it has something to do with where the unit is in the frame, but not quite sure)

Orc archer ranged: will do, And I'll look at the marksman, just one question though, most people think of him as puny, is there any way that you want me to show this in the animation?

Lich death: yeah, I always though that this was pretty bad, I was actually surprised when nobody said to scrap it earlier.

BTW
wesnoth on ice
lol, sounds like a good idea. :lol:
Foxwolf

Post by Foxwolf »

Here's an arch mage death animation I made AGES ago, I found it on my computer so I thought I might as well post it ;)

oh and Wayfarer, it's spelled Darawrf.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

The beggining is not too bad, but the end is unwesnothish and doesn't fit in a hex.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Ok, changed the ranged. Is this right?

ps, I could have done this in literally thirty mins, but the annoying thing about being back at boarding school :evil: is that they have control of all of your free time, even the weekends :evil: , and they decided to make us all play in a table tennis tournament so I got held up. :evil:
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Ranger M wrote:Ok, changed the ranged. Is this right?

ps, I could have done this in literally thirty mins, but the annoying thing about being back at boarding school :evil: is that they have control of all of your free time, even the weekends :evil: , and they decided to make us all play in a table tennis tournament so I got held up. :evil:
What's wrong with table tennis? It's fun. :)

I like the way he aims with just one eye in the animation, it looks cool.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

there is nothing wrong with table tennis, it is just being told to do it with no warning, and then when you are knocked out of the tournament, haveing to stay to watch about twenty games by an over comptitive housemaster. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's also a general complaint about haveing hardly any free time at school (they even make us go to lessons on saturday mornings, and then there are matches against other schools in the afternoon) They don't even leave us sunday most of the time, there is chapel for an hour in the morning :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: and then they usually have a house match, or lecture, or something like that which takes most of the day.

The only consolation is that we get longer holidays than most people. :D
[/rant]

anyway, that was seriously off-topic, thanks for the compliment :D
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Ok, almost finished the death animation, I just want to check that the ending position is right before making another frame to go between it and the previous one, because it's a bit jerky right now. That and I need to sleep.

ps, I re drew him to make him kneel as he falls as was suggested earlier, and I will make the eyes close and put in a shadow, but as I said, I need to sleep now.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Orc Archer Attack: I like it! Doesn't look as feeble as the others. Perhaps it could go a little faster...not sure.

Orc Archer Death: Certainly an improvement. But he needs another frame between going to his knees and falling forwards. As it is he kind of 'jumps' down a little too fast.

Boarding school: :o You poor thing. No real weekends. Personally weekends are a major contributor to the maintenance of my sanity during the year. Don't know how you cope.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Orc argcher death...
the kneeling has a little problem...

if you look only at the knees, you will notice that he first fold his knees then straighten them whle falling forward. this gives the feeling he's courching and leaping forward instead of fallingto his knees.

if you want to make him die that way, you should clearly separate the two phases, and make sure once the knees are on the gournd, they don't move anymore.

moreover, there is a problem in the face, its not just the eyes. try to have him fall with his head to the ground.... human don't fold their neck that way unless they lie to the ground and try to look forward. it's an unatural position that a dying corps wouldn't take...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim