cretin

Re: New animations

Post by cretin »

think of it as good practice

dontano

Post by dontano »

Anything is lost, my friend. :wink:

PS: I should try to do some ghost-like creatures with a core and a semi-transparent-transcendental floatin' clothing...
Trust yourself first, then trust others.
Current activity/ies: what...!?

jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

EELuminatus wrote:Voilà, the Revenant's expanded attack...

amazing!!!
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

EELuminatus wrote:Voilà, the Revenant's expanded attack... (with background, so the semi-transparent effects are visible)

Ready for some tweaking... :mrgreen:
(well, just noticed the left leg's movement probably needs to be worked on - I'll await your comments first, though.)
Things:
1] That looks generally awesome.

2] The frames should all be centered - remember that the sprite itself is going to be moving the whole time, and that will provide the "slide towards opponent" motion. If it's animated in place, attack frames like this should look kinda like they're moonwalking. And yes, this produces a bit of cognitive dissonance as you're working on it, and it's a little hard to wrap one's head around.

3] Try to minimize the number of colors in your weapon blur. At maximum, two colors is probably the limit, and if you can drop it down to one, even better. Same with the shadows. I usually use 70% or 80% opacity for my weapon blurs.

4] That shield of his should swing behind his body - and yes, this means it will be non-visible in a frame or two. Don't be afraid of doing that - it's natural to be, but we as animators need to get over that. There's a natural impulse when doing a drawing to draw all of the limbs, but there are many, many situations when one of them will be obscured.

5] You may want to swing his axe further in front of his body. In terms of making this on a 72x72 canvas, this is where that lack of "slide" comes in - don't slide the figure across the canvas as you do the animation, and you'll have room to do a swing like this.

6] When you're done with your next round of edits, can you post the frames off of the background? I'd like to test a few things.

:shock: Generally, this is looking awesome, though.
EELuminatus wrote:EDIT: sorry, right leg that is...
btw.: the Draug is currently left handed - should that be changed or will we keep him like this?
There is no such thing as "handedness" in wesnoth - as soon as the images are mirrored by the unit facing the other direction in-game, the draug becomes right handed. Because practically every sprite-based videogame ever made has had this issue, and people are used to it, it's kinda crazy to attempt to fix.

The only concern with 'handedness' is to keep it consistent within a unit's animations.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!

EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

Jetryl wrote:2] The frames should all be centered...
ah, sure, I forgot...
Anyway: I have not found out yet how fast the sprite moves when attacking - if I knew, I could move the standing leg ( :P ) at the same speed backwards, so it looks as if he was indeed pushing himself forward on this one.
Jetryl wrote:3] Try to minimize the number of colors in your weapon blur. At maximum, two colors is probably the limit, and if you can drop it down to one, even better. Same with the shadows. I usually use 70% or 80% opacity for my weapon blurs.
hmm... the weapon blur is currently at three colors, removing one shouldn't be much of an issue. (Is it for color indexing reasons?) - what remains, however, are various percentages of opacity and the number of colors is multiplied as soon as the weapon blur meets the skeleton's body... I fear that has to be edited, as well. :o
The shadows should be fine, actually, but on a background like this, the color does get messed up of course. Anyway, it's all pitch black at 60%.

4] - 6]: Aye, will be done!
(Even though I'm not sure if hiding the shield works well... I felt like it was too much, as he's keeping his body rather straight (those skeletons tend to be a little stiff), but perhaps it looks right as soon as his axe swings farther. We will see. :wink: )

:D After all, thanks for all the positive remarks even though the animation has quite some issues, still.

EDIT: Just had a look at your redone skeleton-lvl1-attack, where the weapon blur also creates "new" colors, so I guess it's just for the sake of unity and not for keeping the number of indexed colors low ***correct-me-if-I'm-wrong***, so I'll adapt to the style you used, there.

Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Isn't it about time the Draug got a base frame upgrade, I mean it has the potential to be one of the most awesome units in the game but currently looks weird, nothing compared to the Death Knight, anyway I just wondered if any1 had planned doing this or if u guys thought the current ok? :hmm:
EE, do u plan on doing a Revenant idle as well?
:arrow: And Jetryl, see how much I love that fish... :D
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

EELuminatus wrote:
Jetryl wrote:2] The frames should all be centered...
ah, sure, I forgot...
Anyway: I have not found out yet how fast the sprite moves when attacking - if I knew, I could move the standing leg ( :P ) at the same speed backwards, so it looks as if he was indeed pushing himself forward on this one.
Actually, we can now control that speed of movement. And it's much easier to adjust that to match your animation, than to adjust your animation to match that. So, I would just blindly make your animation with the leg jutting back, and the frames centered, and the WML will be written so that it slides (more or less) correctly.
EELuminatus wrote:EDIT: Just had a look at your redone skeleton-lvl1-attack, where the weapon blur also creates "new" colors, so I guess it's just for the sake of unity and not for keeping the number of indexed colors low ***correct-me-if-I'm-wrong***, so I'll adapt to the style you used, there.
Yeah, it's purely for a unified look. We've gone through a lot of different schemes of doing blurs, but this one seems to be the easiest to 'control', when drawing, and tends to look the most consistent, whilst also being one of the quickest ones to draw.

:hmm: I'm the first guy to want to play around with all these alpha-channel features, but honestly, having fancy transparency doesn't seem to do much - partly because I think it actually doesn't match the real world to have transparency "trailing off" from where the 'fully-opaque' position of the weapon is. I was watching some drummers this weekend, and to my surprise, the visible motion blur on their sticks was about constant in opacity. It's more a function of "how long was the stick in that position" versus "how recently".

So ironically, having a single value of opacity is actually more ... realistic. Who'd have thought? :roll:
EELuminatus wrote::D After all, thanks for all the positive remarks even though the animation has quite some issues, still.
Yeah. This animation is very good, and, it's good enough that I would have been blind to any "issues" in it, even some 9 months ago. I would have immediately tossed it in-game. Most of these aren't really technical issues, anyways, so much as issues of matching the "official style".

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

Longbow wrote:Isn't it about time the Draug got a base frame upgrade, I mean it has the potential to be one of the most awesome units in the game but currently looks weird, nothing compared to the Death Knight, anyway I just wondered if any1 had planned doing this or if u guys thought the current ok? :hmm:
EE, do u plan on doing a Revenant idle as well?
:arrow: And Jetryl, see how much I love that fish... :D
No, the draug is final. And it looks great in my opinion.

Please don't spam us with comments like this.

Longbow

Post by Longbow »

awfully sorry your directorness (?) :oops:
My inventively named Era

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

Longbow wrote:awfully sorry your directorness (?) :oops:
:wink: We're not too formal around here. Thanks, though, for listening.

Probably the #1 reason we're not redoing something like the draug (besides me thinking that it's already great) is that we've got tons and tons of other stuff to work on. The problem is that we could really stand to redo -anything-. There are little things about everything that could be redone. We could do this forever.

If we ever want to get something done, then somewhere, we have to draw a line in the sand, and say "nope, this one's final".

Longbow

Post by Longbow »

OK ty for the explanation, and sorry to bother you, just because I don't like a sprite I shouldn't force my views on you guys who frankly, have much more important things to be doing... (mermen, hint hint :wink: )
My inventively named Era

torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Or remember what final means for a project like this one. If you find a talented artist who replaces all existing frames of a unit with something better it sure won't be thrown away. (Notice: all. Not just the base frame.) It just won't be part of the official agenda to remake those units again.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!

woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Hmm does the Death Knight need death frames? Or Lich? Just asking, because I would like to do death animations for those...
Check out my sprites!

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

woodmouse wrote:Hmm does the Death Knight need death frames? Or Lich? Just asking, because I would like to do death animations for those...
If you would like to do death frames for the lich, it might be cool to do the lich like the dark-adept's animation is done; which is the classic "Obi-wan kenobi death" - the character just vanishes, and the robe falls to the ground.

Do not add sparkly magic effects. I will do that; it's difficult to do right (also, I'm going to do it as a halo that can be used across multiple units).

woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Here it is, the death of the Lich!
I don't get why there appears that white ring thing around the shadow... :hmm: Anyway, if you don't care about the white ring, what does it look?

http://rapidshare.com/files/146321234/l ... s.rar.html
Download the death frames.^
Check out my sprites!