New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

I was thinking about making it bounce, saving that for the blood bat though. Higher level gets more interesting animation.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
jacobolus

Post by jacobolus »

scott wrote:
SmokemJags wrote:I will admit does look better crumpled though, doesn't it?
You should make it bounce a little when it hits the ground.
Well I was actually thinking of the wings crumpling inward a bit as the bat fell, instead of staying extended. Sort of folding in as the bat's muscles relax. But I have to admit, the newest animation does look pretty cool.
scott

Post by scott »

SmokemJags wrote:I was thinking about making it bounce, saving that for the blood bat though. Higher level gets more interesting animation.
Alrighty then. Carry on.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Alrighty then. Carry on.
Yes boss.

I decided to do something different other than the bat. Say hello (and good-bye) to Mr. Bones.

Things to Note:
He falls apart slowly at first, one body part at a time, but as the animation continues he falls apart faster(multiple body parts falling at once).
Thoughts on this? Slow it down/speed it up/it's fine?
Making his skull bounce/tilt/shatter...
I was thinking about making it bounce, but I dunno. I don't really want to tilt it, I like the falling straight down look of it. As for shattering... please don't make me shatter it.
I'm thinking add a frame or two at the very end to tilt the skull backwards so it comes to a resting position.

Notes/To Do:
Clean up bluriness of the body as it comes apart and falls to the ground.
Possibly add dust clouds as the body parts impact the ground.
More head animation as he looks at his body falling apart.
Add shadows.
Also... his arm as it crumples up against the bow might need a little work.

Anyone with other comments/suggestions?
This guy is a ton of frames... probably should have done this animation for a level 3 like the soul shooter... oh well.
Last edited by SmokemJags on March 3rd, 2006, 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Woh, that looks really cool, reminds me of the Earth elementals/infernos in WoW, they have a lilving flame around rock, and when you "kill" them, the flame goes out and the rocks drop to the ground, your death animation has the same cool effect.
Sorry for the meaningless post
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Funny you should mention that. I was originally going for the undead player character death, but it was too hard to spin him around and then drop him to the ground, so I went with a falling apart motion.

Now that you mention it though, it really does remind me of that infernal.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Wow really nice death animation, i like it.
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Its nice but why it is so blurry?
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

XJaPaN wrote:Its nice but why it is so blurry?
Rotation.

Cleaning up the blur is one of SmokemJags's ToDo.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:roll:

Well done, but, uh.. a bit silly? ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Show me a skeleton falling to pieces that isn't too silly.
Okay well I guess making his head levitate and then opening his mouth to scream is a bit silly...
I think it gives him character and personality. :)

So here it is. Improved all the little bits I wanted.
The only possible improvement left I can think of is... give the falling skull a shadow on top of the rest of his crumpled body. Do-able I suppose... I dunno what you guys think?
Anything else anyone has to say, or shall I upload the 17 individual frames?

Whatcha think of his bow arm crunching against the ground and swelling/collapsing in on itself a little as an effect of that? I wasn't even planning on doing that, but it looks so awesome.
Or how his skull crushes his shoulder as it falls to the ground?
I enjoyed watching his head turn back and forth watching himself fall apart...
You really have to watch the animation 5 or 6 times just to notice all the little neat things. Heh.
It's a damn good thing there's no issue with death animations spilling out of the hex either. I seem to have a problem with that. :(
I suppose I went a overboard on this guy... time to petition to make him a level 3 unit so he warrants such an extravagant animation.

Can't wait to see it (and the yeti and the sea monster) in game. :D

God I sound... chirppy. :oops:
Last edited by SmokemJags on March 3rd, 2006, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Looks great, and don't worry about the higher level deaths, they should be easy to do without this out doing them.

for the bone shooter just do the same as this, but make the bones smash when they hit the ground.

for the soul shooter, make the cloak fall on top of the remains, and maybe add a ghostly shadow coming out as he falls.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

For the bone shooter, I had an idea in my head to make it more unique, but I'll keep the smashing bones in mind...

I like the soul shooter idea. Sort of like how the mage of light perishes... I don't know if I'm good enough for that yet.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

I mostly like it, however, I also agree with Turin that it seems a little silly somehow. Mostly, I think, because of the way the head floats in the air as the rest of the body crumbles. I'd like to see it with a more natural collapse, just to see if that looks better.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I have to agree that it is a little 'cartoony.' But it's kind of cute.
Perhaps if you got rid of the head levitating like that? But kept the part where he looks from side to side.

Just a suggestion. :)