New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Except for the perspective the leg movement is nicely done.
Btw it is not consistent with Turin's Wolf Rider movement animation : your wolf is actually walking while Turin's wolf is running.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

the wolfrider WML included in 1.1.1 in data/units contains an example of how to specify directional movement animation
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

IMO, the wolf moving south is OK, but the others remind me of Beethoven. Not good.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

romnajin wrote:That fire really reminds me of Age of Empires II
Yeah, I wish... but thanks.

How about this one? I tried to make it look as normal and 'natural' as possible, saving the more spectacular death animations for higher level units :wink:

EDIT: deleted the 'flatliner' :lol:
Last edited by Redeth on February 20th, 2006, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I like it...

especially how he puts his head slightly backward on the first frame, it gives a tragic look to the whole anim
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

In last frames he's to flat IMO.
wolfy

Post by wolfy »

Tomsik wrote:In last frames he's to flat IMO.
I must agree with Tomsik.
Beyound that- very good animation. It looks very natural - more then most of commited dead animations. Just fix this and it will be perfect!
EDIT: Second look- the last frame should be redone. He becomes too flat(like toy that loses it's air- you probably can decipher what I was trying to say in this pathetic attempt in english :roll: ).
Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

In the new 1.1.1 version of the wolf rider movement animations, the unit seems to grow smaller. I didn't see this discussed earlier in this thread. Sorry if it is intentional.

P.S. Where are screenshots stored in Mac OS X once you take them? I want to past an example.
My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look on my works, Ye Mighty, And despair!
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
romnajin wrote:She's a hippy nature girl that lives with animals, she's not supposed to be sexy, you can save that for the high elves.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Yup, you guys were right. I fixed that last frame, thanks for the feedback 8) The problem was I wanted to make the adept fall further down but sadly ran out of hex space, so I ended up with a horrible hybrid "thingy" :D Oh well, I'm still learning...
Attachments
adept-death-2.gif
adept-death-2.gif (5.06 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
Last edited by Redeth on February 20th, 2006, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfy

Post by wolfy »

Redeth wrote:Yup, you guys were right. I fixed that last frame, thanks for the feedback 8) The problem was I wanted to make the adept fall further down but sadly ran out of hex space, so I ended up with a horrible hybrid "thingy" :D Oh well, I'm still learning...

PS: I'm posting again instead of editing my previous post so you can notice the fixed image, but I'll delete the older one in a while, worry not moderators
That's the spirit!
8)
Creative Mechanism

still very early.

Post by Creative Mechanism »

I just wanted to check in again with some of the suggested alterations before I get much farther. Still lots and lots to do.

No, this wolf isn't consistent with the wolf-rider wolf. I've got some of animations of the wolf running, but the perspective is the same as the others I posted (wrong). I will work on their perspective and get back to you. Also, I intend this for the Direwolf rider.

What would make them look less like Beethoven? I'm really going for more of a, I don't know, JS Bach, or at least a Tchaikovsky.

Thank you for all of your help.
Attachments
wolver-N.gif
wolver-N.gif (5.99 KiB) Viewed 4081 times
wolver-NE.gif
wolver-NE.gif (5.99 KiB) Viewed 4081 times
wolver-SE.gif
wolver-SE.gif (6.08 KiB) Viewed 4081 times
Creative Mechanism

South

Post by Creative Mechanism »

Should I work through this basic stuff on a different topic?
Attachments
wolver-S.gif
wolver-S.gif (5.92 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Well since my submission for a bat audio file seems to have gotten little attention/support I figured it was time to up the ante... to a bat death animation.
No I don't have a bat fetish, I just wanted to start small and simple. That and the blood bat death animation... well I could hardly do worse, right? :D

So here's the first draft, by no means what I expect to end up in the game.

Things you may notice:
1. I had fun closing his mouth slowly over the course of the frames. My original idea was centered around the mouth, but it takes a pretty short time to close.
2. Yes the start of the animation is just the normal bat file. I cheated to meet the minimum 4 frame requirement. :(
That and I wanted to show what it looked like in the transition between how the unit looks and the start of the animation.
3. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this in my life, so be forgiving for how awful it is. I keep telling myself "well the blood bath death animation is just the pieces of the bat flying apart with simple cutting and shifting, so mine can't be as bad."
4. Don't bother mentioning the white border on the bat and the missing shadow. I know I need to trim for the transparency and need to add a shadow. First draft. :P
5. Yes it's simple and unglamorous, but it's a level 0 bat. The lower the level, the less need for extravagant death, right? My original idea was to making it twirl and spin before it hit the deck and then have the wing twitch once it's on the ground... I'll save that for the blood bat, if my attempt here is a good enough of a start that is.

What I plan to improve on tomorrow because I'm tired today:
1. Frame 2 could use a little more foot movement. I made them shorter to show the start of an uncontrolled drop, but it's not enough to be noticeable.
2. Frame 3 needs a slight change in wing pattern from frame two. Probably going to pick them up even more to show them dragging behind the bat as he plummets.
3. Add a frame between 3 and 4 to show wings dropping after the bat slams into the dirt, the sudden motion of wings all the way up to them going flat seems too severe.
4. Reminding myself never to complain about a lack of animation for units in the game, considering the time and effort it took me to make something so simple.

I particularly like the last frame of it where he's just kinda sitting there. His face looks sad, might have to alter it to look more like death though... I drew his wings best in this last frame, and I like his little claws. :)
My inspiration for the last picture was this fellow...
http://www.nps.gov/yell/slidefile/mamma ... /01582.jpg
The picture is at really high resolution so I won't show it here, just linking.

Anyone with comments or suggestions?
Last edited by SmokemJags on March 3rd, 2006, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

noce work, Jag...

no criticism except the ones you mentionned already in your post.

except that cheating with the number of frames is ba....

I guess adding a couple of intermediate frames would help smoothening the animation anyway
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Opinions? Changes? Fixes?
Attachments
yeti-death.gif
yeti-death.gif (8.44 KiB) Viewed 3809 times