New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
toms

Post by toms »

Darth Fool wrote:
toms wrote: I said that it goes in that direction. :| And it´s not realistic if a troll whelp turns into a skeleton
when it is hit hard by say-a sword or an arrow. :?
But you see, when a troll dies, the magic that sustains its regeneration fades, and its flesh dissolves, leaving only the skeleton, which in turn collapses as the connective tissue breaks down. Finally, the skeleton itself turns to dust...
OK...if you really want and turin´s is not better... (don´t feel annoyed)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Redeth wrote:
turin wrote:Here's a skeleton death animation. He already has one (which I made), but it's two frames, and practically worthless. This one's 8 frames, and much better, I think.
Yup, I prefer the 'crumbling skel' :wink:

I finished this one mostly for fun and to practice a few techniques, what do you think?

Note: no, there's NO BLOOD, it's just fire and ashes :lol: And yes, I'm sick, but with a sense of humor 8)
That fire really reminds me of Age of Empires II
Sorry for the meaningless post
Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Post by Lu Mong »

I do not know, but I never heard of desintergrating troll(Well once I heard of one but he was hit by fireball so I think everything would be desintegrated that way...)... Animation looks really good but I must admit that I do not know why should his regeneration abilities turn him into dust after he dies...(Not to mention that no necromant I heard of can raise skeleton from dust... So he would have to raise him BEFORE he kills him completely...) :shock:
Darkness beyond twilight,
More crimson than the blood that flows,
Lost in the depths of time,
I call upon thy name!
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

WINR
We do not aim for reality. We do more or less aim for having fun and when possible nice graphics. The death animation does look nice so why should it not be included? You should not try to argument with reality. In our "reality" there is not magic, there are no drakes and no necromancers. Maybe in Wesnoth it is possible to raise a zombie out of dust, who knows? Have you ever been there? Is it not fun when playing?
Please keep in mind that Wesnoth is a game and we want it to be fun to be played. For us fun does mean that it is not needed to creat a simulation of our world. With the "magic" that exists in Wesnoth, lots of things are possible. The only things that are impossible are the ones we say that do not work.
Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Post by Lu Mong »

ivanovic wrote:WINR
We do not aim for reality. We do more or less aim for having fun and when possible nice graphics. The death animation does look nice so why should it not be included? You should not try to argument with reality. In our "reality" there is not magic, there are no drakes and no necromancers. Maybe in Wesnoth it is possible to raise a zombie out of dust, who knows? Have you ever been there? Is it not fun when playing?
Please keep in mind that Wesnoth is a game and we want it to be fun to be played. For us fun does mean that it is not needed to creat a simulation of our world. With the "magic" that exists in Wesnoth, lots of things are possible. The only things that are impossible are the ones we say that do not work.
Yeah... Sure. But why do not make it logical? Even if there is magic and-I-do-not-known-what-else I suppose it would be better to fit together than to have lot of nice details that are as a whole completely illogical... (Well I am not saying that I do not like the animation or that I do not prefer fun before stupid argues about some-stupid-things-like-death-animations but I suppose it is good to say what we think.. after all little of criticism never hurts) :lol:
I call upon thy name!
scott

Post by scott »

Lu Mong wrote:Yeah... Sure. But why do not make it logical? Even if there is magic and-I-do-not-known-what-else I suppose it would be better to fit together than to have lot of nice details that are as a whole completely illogical... (Well I am not saying that I do not like the animation or that I do not prefer fun before stupid argues about some-stupid-things-like-death-animations but I suppose it is good to say what we think.. after all little of criticism never hurts) :lol:
Under the premise that the animation is illogical and given the response that WINR, your argument that the non-real parts should follow a consistent set of rules is fine.

However, your premise is flawed. You have not adequately shown that disintegrating trolls and necromancers who can create minions out of dust violates the consistency of the rules of the Wesnoth world.
Lu Mong wrote: I do not know, but I never heard of desintergrating troll(Well once I heard of one but he was hit by fireball so I think everything would be desintegrated that way...)... Animation looks really good but I must admit that I do not know why should his regeneration abilities turn him into dust after he dies...(Not to mention that no necromant I heard of can raise skeleton from dust... So he would have to raise him BEFORE he kills him completely...)
It sounds like your reasons for objecting are lack of personal experience. In some stories, trolls turn into dust when they hit sunlight. There's no reason why they can't also disintegrate when they die here. If you can draw a better animation, then I'm sure what happens when the troll dies will be up to you.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well, I do consider all my artwork to be serving as place holders until better artwork comes along, so feel free to make your own versions. If any of the art devs think it is an improvement, then I will be happy to replace mine.
Lu Mong

Post by Lu Mong »

Darth Fool wrote:Well, I do consider all my artwork to be serving as place holders until better artwork comes along, so feel free to make your own versions. If any of the art devs think it is an improvement, then I will be happy to replace mine.
Heh... I know you are trying to help as well as I am with that difference that I cannot draw... Heh... Well... Sorry...
In some stories, trolls turn into dust when they hit sunlight. There's no reason why they can't also disintegrate when they die here.
Good point... well... anyway I do not like it... I do not say it is bad... only that I am not able to accept disentegrating trolls... but I suppose that I would not even notice it in actual gameplay... :lol:
I call upon thy name!
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

Changes to the slurbow I posted earlier.
Attachments
slurbow-attack.zip
(18.19 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
slurbow-attack2.gif
slurbow-attack2.gif (6.59 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
toms

Post by toms »

Very good! :D I like the new animations.

Why are there suddenly so m any people willing to work for the orcs?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

because that is what Jetryl (and probably others, but mostly Jetryl) suggested that we work on. (I really need to find time to finish the archer animations)
Creative Mechanism

Quick Questions

Post by Creative Mechanism »

Hi,

I've been playing around with making unit images and thought I'd like to do something more useful. I'd like to fix these (and I know they need a lot of work and additions--these are only very rough working images) for use as the direwolf rider. I like the original image that ships with the game quite a bit, but I've already done a number of these. I'm wondering if I should scrap what I've done and edit the original image to produce the animations. If I made the rest of the movement, attacking, defensive, etc animations for this unit, would such a drastic change even be considered for addition?

Also: I've been looking all over and can't seem to be able to find an example of how to use the WML tags to specify direction animations. If you've seen something helpful, please let me know.[/img]
Attachments
wolver.gif
wolver.gif (21.48 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
JW

Post by JW »

Though those images aren't bad, they are of all different sizes, two are at an odd angles, and I don't believe any of them are of the appropriate size for Wesnoth. The standing image you have looks far too big for a hex.

If you look at Turin's Wolf Rider animation I'm sure you could learn a lot from his work. You seem to have talent - you must mold it if you want your images in-game though.

Good luck. :wink:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Creative Mechanism: Thanks for trying at those, I really do appreciate it. The biggest problem you're running into is perspective. Several things, really:

45° Above the ground plane is our perspective.

1] The rear feet should be more obscured by the body on the side and diagonal animations
2] The south animation should show much more of the back.
3] The diagonal animation looks like a rotated horizontal one.
toms

Re: Quick Questions

Post by toms »

Creative Mechanism wrote:Also: I've been looking all over and can't seem to be able to find an example of how to use the WML tags to specify direction animations. If you've seen something helpful, please let me know.
You have probably not looked all over and over, or you overlooked the pikeman when you looked.