Invasion of Arendia Artwork

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Right...and btw [censored] is(at least I don't think so) not on the no-no list, if this post is deleted it probably is.
Sorry for the meaningless post
pstradomski

Post by pstradomski »

Ranger M wrote:When you want to show me something then please put it in the post, for some reason I cannot download these things, I get this window with loads of random letters on it.
You just need to do a right-click and choose something like Save link target as..

Otherwise your browser tries to open the file just as a plain text file, which is obviously wrong.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

K Thanks
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Have a storyline?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

What do you mean?
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I mean is there a plot, or just a collection of units and needed portraits?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

There is a plot to the campaign, and these are the units that need portraits in them.But scott had agreed that if they were good he would include them with his L3 outlaws package, and I was hopeing to incourage people by telling them this.

Sorry if it wasn't very clear. :oops:
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Can you tell what it is?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Haven't you played Invasion of Arendia at all? And no I won't say what happens before I code it, because I may change it to suit my needs or abilities, and to make sense. (I don't really have a defined plan, I just know were I am ending up.).

I also won't say it in the forums, cos it would be a major spoiler.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I just wanted to know if it had a good story before playing, I try and reserve my playing to good stuff as my time is limited.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Holy Thread Resurecston! :D :D

But this is for a good reason...

On sunday morning, seeing as nobody answered my plea, I decided to have a second stab at doing portraits for my characters, beginning with Reth.

It's not finished yet, and has no shading, but I wanted to put it here for the critocisms, and to ask a question:

How do you do wood? as in for the bow, I have made many failed attempts with lines going along the wood, following the grain, and down the length, and cut off half way, etc.
Last edited by Ranger M on February 5th, 2006, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

That arm is foreshortened wrong. Crack the books over at http://www.saveloomis.org/

Personally, I'd stick to the pencils until you can at least do as good of a job as either:

http://www.megatokyo.com
or http://www.errantstory.com

Doing coloring beforehand, especially on a full-body portrait, is a bit wasteful of time.

• As for the wood, that's something I've actually just been doing by intuition rather than enumerated procedure, which means it's hard for me to explain. One of the biggest things that will help you with all of your work is an understanding of how surface patterns fold and bend in perspective. A good exercise to tackle in the beginnings of this would be a simple and regular pattern, such as a checkerboard pattern, or plaid - something that you completely understand in it's flat, two dimensional incarnation.

• One of the biggest things that's befouling this drawing is "curve wraparounds" - I'm just making up terms to describe things, but this refers to things like those leather straps on the boots. The way they currently wrap around isn't right - if you sliced the leg in half there, horizontally, a cross-section of it would only be about 1/3 as deep as it is wide. Aka a thin oval instead of a circle. That needs to be fixed, but again, don't take this as a comment about this drawing, take it as a point in your general technique that needs to be polished up.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Personally, I'd stick to the pencils until you can at least do as good of a job as either:
If you mean doing pencil outlines, and then scanning onto computer, then I am one of those unfortunate people who don't have a scanner, or any other way of doing this.
* One of the biggest things that's befouling this drawing is "curve wraparounds" - I'm just making up terms to describe things, but this refers to things like those leather straps on the boots. The way they currently wrap around isn't right - if you sliced the leg in half there, horizontally, a cross-section of it would only be about 1/3 as deep as it is wide. Aka a thin oval instead of a circle. That needs to be fixed, but again, don't take this as a comment about this drawing, take it as a point in your general technique that needs to be polished up.
I can see what you mean here, I think, basically does this mean that they are too flat? (I know that there is more to it than that, but is that the basic jist?)
Doing coloring beforehand, especially on a full-body portrait, is a bit wasteful of time.
Ok, the only reason that I didn't do this was because I knew that the cloak would cast shadows, but I hadn't drawn it yet, so I wouldn't know where they would be. I suppose that I should have done an outline first.
* As for the wood, that's something I've actually just been doing by intuition rather than enumerated procedure, which means it's hard for me to explain. One of the biggest things that will help you with all of your work is an understanding of how surface patterns fold and bend in perspective. A good exercise to tackle in the beginnings of this would be a simple and regular pattern, such as a checkerboard pattern, or plaid - something that you completely understand in it's flat, two dimensional incarnation.
I'm not entirely sure that I know what you are suggesting here, but i think that you are saying that I should practice 'bending' patterns by drawing a checkerboard on a curved surface. Is this right?

Sorry if any of this is obvious, or something which you have already said, but I haven't understood properly, I just want to be sure.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Basically, yeah.

As for the scanner, just get one - a perfectly decent one costs less than $100. This is an expense you may be able to get your parents to front, since it is for a rather good (i.e. educational) cause. Also, schools often have scanners which you can talk people into letting you use.

At even $6/hour, you can rake in $100 in less than a week.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

If only, :(

Being stuck at an expensive boarding school which my parents only just afford to send me to has a few down sides, firstly I cannot get a job any time soon as I am stuck at school, and secondly my parents won't buy anything uneccisary, as we are short on cash anyway (my grandparents actually had to pay for my last school fees)

I suppose that I could wait untill I get home for the holidays in about two months :(

I'll try doing the other things and then work on scanner problem later. (when I can) :D

ps, on reading this post I realise that it looks like a sympathy plea, I want to point out that I don't want somebody to buy one of these for me.