Invasion of Arendia Artwork

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

If your "expensive boarding school" doesn't have a single computer scanner available for student use - even if only by students in art classes, then something is seriously f'ed up.

Free public schools have that. Don't be afraid to ask your school's art teacher if anyone has a scanner you could use. Also try looking for the people who make student newspapers, etc - they need such a tool to do their job, plus they can teach you how to use it.

I can sympathize with the joys of a boarding school, since I also went to one as a kid (although in my case, it was because my old man worked there, so there are considerable differences there). We had more than one scanner, and that was some 5-8 years ago, when they were much more expensive to get.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Does the library or computer lab at your school have a scanner? Or alternately can you befriend someone who has one? :)

In a pinch there's always ebay.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I know that the computer lab doesn't have one, and neither does the library...

the art department probably does, but they tend to be quite busy (especially around now because they are all doing coursework, and using the computers for coursework research) and when it isn't lessons it is usually locked.

of course the final hurdle to get over is my skill (or lack of) at art with pencils and paintbrushes, which is why I'm not doing it for GCSE.

I'll look into it, and post anything I get scanned...

BTW, I think that I'll probably continue with using what I am doing for the Reth portrait as it is now, because I have gotten so far, but do any further portraits using scanners.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I have done a scethch of the portrait, and it has helped me get a sense of scale and proportion, even without a scanner (although I found out that my mum has one, which she never told me about/ I forgot about, so I should be able to use it porperly when I go home for half term in a week).

I have also tried a bit of shading on the legs, and I think that it works well, but I am not entirely sure, so I want peoples opinions.

and I decided (because of one of my scetches) that It would be better to have the sword in the left hand, and bow in right hand or on his back.
Last edited by Ranger M on February 5th, 2006, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
toms

Post by toms »

Nice start :wink:
really.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the head is only a placeholder as I hated looking at a blank space all of the time, his hair will be fixed etc (infact this could be said for the whole thing, in any image that I post unless it is the final one.)
Dark Paladin

Post by Dark Paladin »

The first impression is pretty much just wow. The shading on the inside of each pant leg was quite good, exept on the top of the right knee. The one other thing that seems out of place is that the fabric under the right arm seems a bit tight. Awesome Job 8)
"I believe that God made me for china, but he also made me fast, and when I run I feel His pleasure." ~ Eric Liddel
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Yeah, the right arm is really off, It's the newest bit that I did. (it's also too long)

I was a bit worried about the shading to begin with, but that was because it looked odd with all of the other bits being non shaded, when I hid their layers it looked alot better. (although this could be just me, I have personally always never thought that my art was up to standard whenever I look at it in game)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

good start!

the shading on the leg looks a bit wrong on the viewers left, not realistic

that arm...

also, he can't be standing like that--one leg is raised, but so unless balencing on one leg, or other leg way back it needs adjustment.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I was trying to give the impression that one leg was infront of the other, and you are looking down on him by a tiny bit (so the veiwpoint is about level with the top of his head, or maybe eye level), the same thing is done in the Lis'ar and Konrad full body portraits.

the shading is very experimental, and I am trying to give the impression that the right leg is blocking some of the light and casting a shadow on the left leg (veiwer's veiwpoint) because of the angle of light, this would be way more obvious with a proper shadow being cast on the ground.

I am also trying, and probably failing, to follow the contours of the body when I do shading, again this may not be obvious.

oh, and here is most of the upper body shaded. Although I am not perfectly satisfied with the middle of the torso, and the folds in the shirt, something I will definately be re-doing. But tips on how to do this are very welcome.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The perspective looks really off to me. Also, the shading on the pants and shirt does not actually look folded cloth.

You may need to start over...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I am fine with starting all of the shading again, but first I need to know how to do folded cloth...(Jetrly tip would be hand here, but a tip anyone else who knows would be apprechiated too)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Ranger M wrote:I am fine with starting all of the shading again, but first I need to know how to do folded cloth...(Jetrly tip would be hand here, but a tip anyone else who knows would be apprechiated too)
if you can wait until tomarrow, I can draw the concepts, but I'm not good at explaining things.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

had a closer look at the Konrad and Defeldor portraits (mostly konrad) and i think that I may have found the reason...

in mine, because I was practicing to begin with (and waiting for a more experienced person to comment) I only used two shades of each colour, lighter and darker, and the edges on mine are very hard, If I use for colour, soften the edges, and pay more attention to where shadows should be cast then I should do alot better. (that, and if I buy those books Jetrly suggested, but they will come later once I find out weather there is a free version available as he hinted at in a post somewhere.)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

ok, almost disregarding what I saw in the konrad and defeldor (but not quite) I decided that almost no lines would be better (only around the edges) and I really like the result, (I've only done this to the lower bit of his left leg.)

EDIT: done whole of left leg.

EDIT 2: done all of legs.
Last edited by Ranger M on February 5th, 2006, 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.