Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Invasion of Arendia Artwork

Post by Ranger M »

I have been working on a new campaign recently and, untill now I have been borrowing portraits from other campaigns, but this doesn't quite work (for example I am currently using two necromancer portraits for rouge mages, this being two of the portraits I need), I also need a portrait for a Ranger.

During the campaign I created a new unit for an upgrade of the Brigand, with only basic changes to the image (adding a sword), could someone make a better one. (they need to have a sword but everything else is up ti you so long as it still looks like some kind of bandit)

I would show what I did, but it wont let me saying this when I try to attach it.
B:raider.png is an invalid file name
[edit]

OK, here is the most updated list of what I need for my campaign.

Portraits:

for Reth (ranger with double bladed sword)

for Jack (hunter/tracker type person, could be used as mainline portrait)

for Tom and Matt (seperate, for rogue mage line, could be used as mainline portrait)

for wild elf fighter and mage line.

a lever better than the one posted below.

ps this will be updated when I need new things.

pps, any constructive critocism of images in this thread is welcome.
Last edited by Ranger M on May 11th, 2006, 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
scott

Post by scott »

I haven't had a chance to report back to you (sorry). You need to lose the colons and slashes in your units and filenames. Use hyphens or underscores (- and _). The campaign server flat out won't accept filenames with the slashes, and I don't want to start editing your campaign (especially now that you seem to have worked on it a bunch).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Sorry my grammer is crap. What does a colon and a slash look like?
scott

Post by scott »

colon :
slash /
backslash \
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Thanks, should have known that :oops:

will start editing striaght away

But anyway, getting back to what this is supposed to be about, anyone got ideas or suggestions? Has anyone even considered doing these?

(these are the images I made for the Raider, see they really need redoing.)
the 3rd Zar

Post by the 3rd Zar »

The Pics are good, although i never could stand that a lot of races in scenarios are very limited. How would raiders have a different type of unit though? You could give them trained dogs or a light/heavy cavalry path.
If I were human, I believe my response would be, "Go to Hell"... If I were human. ~ Spock
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

What do you mean? This is an upgrade not a new unit.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Also with the portraits for the rouge mages and the ranger they will probably be used for the officail portraits (so long as they fit the core game style, e.g spearman, horseman,mermen,etc) As I have spoken to the guy who made these units and he said he would love for there to be some portraits of them.

note for the rouge mage portraits: It would be nice to have diferent portraits for the different levels of these units.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I have made new unit images for hero (based on the ranger) in my campaign. Any constructive critocism of it (or, possibly praise) or the images I made eariler in this thread is welcome.

As well as this I am trying to animate the unit so I can use it at some point (I am thinking of a animated story pic) So far I have got this, which isn't too good, any tips on how to make it better using GIMP, It is too slow at the moment and I don't know how to speed it up.

I did this version by making seven different frames and using (Script-Fu -> Animators -> Blend...) from the menu toolbar with one frame spaces between frames. (I have also included the animation before I did this)

BTW yes I do know there needs to be more body movement, It will be done later
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Ranger is using the wimpy pull bow-string to chest technique. I would suggest that you move his arm up so that he is pulling back to his ear. Looks much more impressive.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

you mean like this, or more?
scott

Post by scott »

His left arm should be straght out at shoulder level and his right arm should be in front of his face.

http://needboxes.com/PSM-LOTR.jpg
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Like this?

BTW scott you should probably alter your's as well as to make the unit I basically took your ranger and changed his sword. although I will probably change him more later.

BTW 2, you don't mind me modifying your unit do you?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ranger M wrote:Like this?
Indeed. Looks much more "mighty" - this same technique was used when I drew the current high-level elven archers.
scott

Post by scott »

Wayfarer drew the ranger, and if you improve it, that's great news to me. Looks good!
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.