jep.
Attachments
swampwater-plant2.png
swampwater-plant2.png (5.23 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

'cos as we all know by now I love screenshots:

I don't really like the idea of making reeds by drawing single reeds then multiplying them. Or I would've done this already :?.
Attachments
mhexreeds.jpg
mhexreeds.jpg (40.13 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

yobbo wrote:'cos as we all know by now I love screenshots:

I don't really like the idea of making reeds by drawing single reeds then multiplying them. Or I would've done this already :?.
Yeah, a more varied one would be nice.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The biggest problem in that screenshot is the way that the masses of reed overlay the land. That was, basically, too big of a spread of reeds. However, it's close, though, and the coverage it gives over the swamp is what we need.

The coverage given by the previous plant variations is not nearly enough. The plants themselves are well-formed and look great, but having just one of them sitting in the middle of the tile is a bit ... unnatural-looking. Which is why we have this awesome overlay system.

My commendations, though, on all of your work so far, yobbo. Good luck finishing the overlays, because when they are done, this terrain is going to look great.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I think the reeds are a little tall. They seem almost as tall as the trees in that screenshot. I realize that the plants in the swamp aren't going to be to scale, but perhaps the reeds should be a bit shorter?
halleck

Post by halleck »

ya the reads may be to long... but other than that it looks good :)
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

All those plants are unnatural. I'd prefer the graphics with no overlays.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

quartex wrote:I think the reeds are a little tall. They seem almost as tall as the trees in that screenshot. I realize that the plants in the swamp aren't going to be to scale, but perhaps the reeds should be a bit shorter?
Ditto. But it is a "proof of concept."
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

The plants in the screenshot also seem a bit bushy. The width bothers me more than the height (although I agree that the height seems a bit excessive). Also, I think reeds should be clumpier--that is to say, less evenly distributed.

Still, I think this is rapidly headed in the right direction, and I can't wait to see further developments. Kudos to all involved!
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

Here's some more variations in an easily accessable format.
Attachments
reeds.png
reeds.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Xan wrote:Here's some more variations in an easily accessable format.
Xan - I had been lamenting, the last time you posted your stuff, about how you hadn't posted them in a very accessible format; how they were bound to the tile.

Thanks a ton not merely for making these, which are good, but also for making them in the format you did - as a transparent png. :)
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

I've used Xan's reeds (with shadow added) and made a couple reed-overlay tiles, like so. Maybe i didn't add enough reeds, but i'm not sure these kind of reeds make the swamp better.
But i did learn a thing or two about terrain WML.
Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (106.94 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
scott

Post by scott »

- You need a ton more rushes
- The water should be bluer (I tried putting the swamp at 20% over the coast at 100% and it looked ok)
- It should be a different terrain altogether. I know you guys are gearing up for double letter terrain! Standing water with thick duckgrass is a lot different from the slimy bog, even though both are swamps.
The benefit is that rush swamp could look a lot better next to shallow water than the slimy bog does. I have something worked up, but I have to do the transitions before it looks like anything.
Attachments
swampwater.png
swampwater.png (9.4 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Doros

Post by Doros »

Maybe it would look better if some of the reeds overlapped or weren't straight up?
toms

Post by toms »

I made an evil variation (esp. for undead)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!