Wesnoth title logo.

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
unsung

Post by unsung »

Tux2B wrote: The idea is quite good. But in that case, take the best units, attacking, and all lvl3. I just don't know where to put them on the logo.
they should be at the base of the letters, which would rise above them like mountains. you could even put a grand marshall and ranged units on the letters.

if you made it only the higher leveled units, that would make it easy since there wouldn't be a new unit to add every other release or so.

maybe you could divide them into two groups, like in the classic era, the forces of light an ddarkness, with the forces of light brcing for a charge of orcs, skelotons, and trolls, who outnumber them. (with polearm units in front, forming a pike wall)
. or, divided by factions, all of them rushing each other or seeming to prepare to do so.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Well here is what I accomplished while the forums were down. I was having so much fun learning more of inkscape that I decided to try a completely vector art logo first. I think I at least fixed the flatness. However, I think something needs to be on the bottom half of the shield.

Attachments
FinalLogo.zip
Here is the zipped SVG
(36.92 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

What we can do with the bottom half of the shield is stick messages in it. On loading screens.[1] So instead of a black screen, you'd have:

The Battle For
Wesnoth:
Loading data...
OR
The Battle For
Wesnoth:
The Heir to the Throne

or whatever it was loading.

and the shield could spin, too! On the title screen you could just have it without a secondary message, no problem with that.

[1]I'm really frustrated with Wesnoth's long loading times, and weird looking 'loading' screens always help relieve boredom. :wink:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Elvish Pillager wrote:[1]I'm really frustrated with Wesnoth's long loading times, and weird looking 'loading' screens always help relieve boredom. :wink:
Convince every campaign author to fix his campaign (remember the thread from ott?) and it'll be quite a bit faster.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Disto

Post by Disto »

torangan wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:[1]I'm really frustrated with Wesnoth's long loading times, and weird looking 'loading' screens always help relieve boredom. :wink:
Convince every campaign author to fix his campaign (remember the thread from ott?) and it'll be quite a bit faster.
Yeah elvish, when are you going to get round to fixing your 1, mine i believe is fine.... but i don't really do anything to it. So i don't know.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
scott

Post by scott »

I liked the shield idea, but the crest could be a ruby engulfed in flame. However, I suppose we don't need TWO contests, one for the text and one for the shield.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I'm going to have to download inkscape just to have a play, does it come for Linux?
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

i think its hard to find opensource wich dont have rpm/deb or source compileable on linux :P
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Great progress on the logo, really like the shield.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Disto: Yup, Inkscape is for linux. http://www.inkscape.org

I put some nicks in the shield for character. Better it look like its been in the battle for Wesnoth I say. I alao made a variation of the logo which could make a good desktop icon.
Attachments
DesktopW.png
DesktopW.png (69.12 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

That looks cool. The only thing is that when you add the shield, it degrades the quality a little. The shield looks cool, but it needs to be done more realistically. Like hand drawn by a really good artist. I still don't like the font on "the battle for". It should maybe be uniform with the "Wesnoth" font.

Between Elvish Pillager, Woodwizzle, and someone who can draw a realistic shield, this will turn out to be a sweet logo!

--Timothy
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I like the last attempt of EP, with the "The Battle for" more sharpened. Maybe the same can be done to the letters on the shield.

The wooden part seems ok, but the light on the rim seems to come from a different place than that on the shield (i still don't get why the wood lines bend like that if those shields are supposed to be flat, i'll take is just an effect for roundedness. It still looks ok). I think the light on the rim could use some change, and maybe more sharpened brightness.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

'nother update:

Here I tried to improve the shield mostly. I corrected the gradiants so it has more depth (Yes it is supposed to be a slightly rounded buckler). I worked on the edge a lot and I doubled the ammount of wood grain. I also tried to make the battle for text more readable.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

looking better already. The lightning looks good from my eye. Given all the examples that i'ce seen done with Inkscape, i'll take it is somewhat hardto give a good metalic feel to something, but that would be something very welcome in the steel rim. With that, i think we could have a good logo hich would fit better in any background, since it has the shield as its own semi-background.

I, for my part, offer thank and prayers for the continued efforts dedicated to the task.

I think it may be about time... who made the background of the opening game screen?, and any ideas on compositon for a new background?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

All good points Cuyo Quiz. I tried to create a metallic pattern for the metal and I made each individual board a different shade. I'm trying to pile on details to combat the "cartooney"-ness.

:edit: Just noticed that since I've been direct linking all the old posts have updated pics in them too :( oh well :edit: