Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jormungandr
Art Contributor

More (aquatic) portraits

Post by Jormungandr »

Jetryl wrote:Make more portraits.
...and since I'm on break and have an abundance of free time, I've been able to try a few more. This time I took a stab at Wesnoth's aquatic folk.

As always, feedback of any kind is appreciated.
Attachments
Naga fighter
Naga fighter
naga.png (38.36 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
Nagini warrior
Nagini warrior
nagini.png (41.07 KiB) Viewed 5113 times
Merman fighter
Merman fighter
merman.png (31.11 KiB) Viewed 5130 times
Last edited by Jormungandr on August 11th, 2005, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jormungandr
Art Contributor

Post by Jormungandr »

One more...
Attachments
Mermaid initiate
Mermaid initiate
mermaid.png (24.46 KiB) Viewed 5114 times
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Very nice, haven't seen better merefolk portraits anywhere (not just in here).
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:shock: :D HOT DAMN!

These are GREAT!!!
These are REALLY GREAT!!

These are going in. No question.
-----

There is/was one niggling thing that was bothering me - I wasn't so keen on the mermaid's face (despite the rest of the portrait being, in some ways, better than I might be able to do - that's an angle I'm unfamiliar with).

To be fair, I can see why one might want to give her an inhuman-looking face, but at the same time I'd prefer for our mermaids to be beautiful by the average human standards (a dubious standard to meet, but bear with me).

Instead of talking it up a bunch about how it could be fixed, I just did an edit - I sincerely hope that you don't take offense to my doing this - editing your art as I am.

All of the other pictures are fine as they are. Please, please, please continue to make more. Your work is wonderful, and fits the game's style like a glove.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Those images are really great. It's stunning how many talented people are working on improving Wesnoth. Other open source games will have a hard time matching it.
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

The whole set of portrait is GREAT! However, maybe the naga fighter should look a little more "evil"?
Standing With So Cold A Heart... Watching The Death Of The Sun...
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I guess the upward line in the face of the Naga shouldn't be so close to the mouth as this makes him look like he's smiling. IMO that is the reason why it looks a little to nice.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I think the Naga look plenty evil enough already. Although they don't have a traditional evil grin, or frown or anything, their bearing certainly doesn't suggest that they're good guys. They're not even chaotic, and they aren't actually evil anyway...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

These are spectacular... but: the mermaid's torso should be in the center of the portrait. Maybe you could show her hand doing something magical.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Nice... In fact, more than VERY nice. Hope you will have more time and contribute even more beatiful portraits.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

These indeed look great!! Someone, please include them in the game ASAP.

Jormungandr, please, please make more! :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Jormungandr
Art Contributor

Post by Jormungandr »

Offense? Never! In fact, I agree there was something wrong with the mermaid's face, which your edit seems to have fixed. (was it only moving her mouth up?)

Also, I tweaked the naga a bit, disconnecting his cheek and his mouth...see if it looks any better.
Attachments
naga2.png
naga2.png (38.33 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I think your new version really does look great. And, of course: please give us more! :)
I really wish to see them ingam as soon as possible, so Jetryl, please commit them and add them to the official portrait trhread. The same counts for the Ghoul.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I think the edit made the Naga much better. There's no need for it to look evil but the pose doesn't fit with a smiling face either. As I see it the line was never supposed to be part of mouth and now it's simply much more obvious. I'm curious about how the next images will look... :wink:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

As others have said, these are awesome. ;)

Do you plan on making more for the rest of the aquatic units? There is still, as I see it, at least 5 more portraits, but probably more:

1-2: Male and female versions of a Naga with two blades. (Could function as the Warrior and Myrimidon).
3: Merman Hunter portraits, with javelins not tridents.
4: Merman Netcaster portraits; has spear and net.
5: Merman Hoplite, with a large bronze shield.

Have fun making all these! :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm