Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Starting screen.

Post by fmunoz »

Ok I moved my lazy bum and started to use that cool Wacom tablet I got for Xmas.
This is a schetch for the starting screen, Konrad in his last day before attaking the capitol city of Wesnoth... (city not there yet)
The original is larger but I left plenty of place to put the game name and buttons...
Gimp with not soo many layers.
capitol

Post by capitol »

great!!!

The rock he stands on looks like it's a little blured is that with meaning?
Dei

Post by Dei »

Hmmm... this looks pretty good to me fmunoz, particularly for a sketch. I wish I had your l33t tablet skills. Anyway, rather good color selection, and Konrad looks pretty damn spiffy, though his face, what can be seen of it, is rather fuzzy. While the image is not yet finished, the composition is rather badly weighted towards the part where Konrad stands. He's the densest, most interesting thing in the image, so he locks up the eye, focusing one's attention pretty much solely on him.

Of course, as has been noted, this image has yet to be finished, so I'd expect many of my concerns to be addressed in the final. Perhaps I'm being just a bit silly with such criticism, but eh... I try.
Lithorien

Post by Lithorien »

Dei wrote:Hmmm... this looks pretty good to me fmunoz, particularly for a sketch. I wish I had your l33t tablet skills. Anyway, rather good color selection, and Konrad looks pretty damn spiffy, though his face, what can be seen of it, is rather fuzzy. While the image is not yet finished, the composition is rather badly weighted towards the part where Konrad stands. He's the densest, most interesting thing in the image, so he locks up the eye, focusing one's attention pretty much solely on him.

Of course, as has been noted, this image has yet to be finished, so I'd expect many of my concerns to be addressed in the final. Perhaps I'm being just a bit silly with such criticism, but eh... I try.
I would give him bonus points for that trick. It lets the designers put the menus on the right while still having the meat of the image clean and clear for the eye to see.
Know your Allies Well, Know your Enemies Better. -Sun Tzu, The Art of War.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Ok improved a bit the image and added buttons and current title just to have a mockup of the starting screen... (posted half size)
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Wow, that's really impressive, and I think it captures the feeling of the game very well. The buttons look nice on top, the image really goes with their shade of blue. I'd suggest shifting them to the right a tad more. Maybe centered with that peak in the background. The title graphic doesn't seem to fit in any longer. Perhaps you could incorperate a new one into the image? I'd like to see a little bit of what Konrad is overlooking down in the bottom right hand corner. Maybe a distant village, or battle.
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

Great image ;)
I have changed some things (logo and buttons)...
miyo

Post by miyo »

Ettin,

looks great. What about 800x600?

- Miyo
methinks

Post by methinks »

Move buttons to right, willl balance the picture with Konrad focsing most weight on the left.

Looking nice so far.
-Adam
Circon

Post by Circon »

Hmm... the title still looks a bit too big and unbalanced. I'd actually prefer something like the old one, written across the top. The current one seems to get "tangled" if you know what I mean.
methinks

Post by methinks »

I have quite different opinion. I like the new one more :)
-Adam
vetgirig

Post by vetgirig »

One thing I notice is that the bottom area seams quite dark and ununsed
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The Wesnoth capitol city outline is not here yet... so the image is not finished
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Nice work! keep it up! :D
azlan

Looks good..

Post by azlan »

Great fmunoz :!:

Maby make the logo blend with the background more.
Just a thought though.

But most games have the logo "in" the titlescreen(like part of it).
I dont know.. And since its not finnish no hard comments.. :)
|----------------------|
| The Lion is Back |
|----------------------|