Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Casual User

A few images for the Renaissance

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

A little while ago, I posted on the ideas forum my intention to create a renaissance-themed campaign, which obviously involves custom units. I also posted some graphics for pikeneers, musketeers and cavalry, but they attracted little attention. I have decided however to re-post them here for criticism and proposals. (by the way, orange-red is for rookies, blue for veterans and purple with a plumet for elites)

1. I like my current drawings, but I am sure they could be improved, and would love some suggestions.

2. I still have to do an officer line. a cannon line and a duelist/covert ops guy line, and I have no idea how to since neither of these is in uniform (unlike what I already have).

namely, I have:
pikeneer -> veteran pikeneer -> elite pikeneer (basics done)
musketeer -> veteran musketeer -> elite musketeer (basics done)
cavalry -> veteran cavalry -> elite cavaly (basics done)
bladesman -> bladesmaster -> maitre d'armes (no idea how to do it)
adjudant -> officer 1st rank -> officer 2nd rank -> commanding general (no idea how to do it)
cannon -> artillery cannon -> bombard cannon (no idea at all how to do it)

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
renaissance.gif
renaissance.gif (87.71 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

The drawings are not bad. But try to make it more easy to make a differenciation between levels :) . And try to make the horses brown instead of grey: most cavalry in Wesnoth have brown horses.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Disto

Post by Disto »

The colour of the horses is not a problem you can have horses whatever colour as you like as long as they look good and look possible.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Historically, frontline soldiers would have frills instead of elites, because it made them look bigger than they really were.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
kangounator

Post by kangounator »

good, but the javelines are too long
"Draw me a sheep." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"And i sorry for my english." - tomsik
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Also, a bombard was the precursor to a cannon, rather than an advancement. Bombards were actually at their prime at the end of the Dark Ages.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

:arrow: I have just made the weapon of the cavalry unit a little more pointed.
Attachments
As you can see, it is just a little improvement.
As you can see, it is just a little improvement.
renaissance.PNG (1.85 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Here are advanced cavalry units. Maybe they are very bad, as those are only one of my first graphics.
Attachments
Some color changes to the horse.
Some color changes to the horse.
upcavalryrenaissance.PNG (1.84 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
Here, the helmet and the armour are gold colour, and the helmet is a bit different.
Here, the helmet and the armour are gold colour, and the helmet is a bit different.
lvl3cav.PNG (1.9 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Thanks for the replies. First for the bad:

1. I'm trying to make them look like they wear uniform, so a too-abrupt change in weaponry at level changes is hard to do. Originally, apart from changing their shirt's color, when pikeneers or cavalry went from rookie to veteran, they gained a little red flag-like decoration at the end of their pike/lance and then also gained a feather when they became elites. I abandonned the idea since there's no real place I could stick a similar decoration on the musketeer... Feel free to propose any change from level to level, but:
I. it musn't clash much with other levels
II. musketeers, pikeneers and cavalry wear the same uniform, so it must apply to all three
III. nothing too fancy

2. I don't like the golden armor because I want to make them look half-realistic. It's too fancy, and also clashes with other levels.

3. I'm pulling the names out of my ..., so please, some charity (apart from which, bombard cannon isn;t the same as bombard)

Now for the good: I like the pointy lance. The first one is a little too short, but I think I'll use the last cavalry posted (just change the color of the shirt to red/purple also). I'll probably change it a little though (make it a little straighter maybe).

Thanks for the replies. Please, even if you don't have exact images for bladesmen, officers or cannons, could you give me ideas how to do them. See, these ones were easy to do because I looked for pictures of renaissance soldiers and inspired myself from them. I don't know how the remaining ones should be...

One thing that is weird with me is that, when drawing on the computer, if I start from scratch, I get nowhere, but if I have something to work with, even if it's not very good, I can do well with it; so crude images are useful.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

i have made . i think some improveit is good in meantime

IT IS CYBORIZEDDD
TO THE MAXXXXXXXX!!!!!1! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

To Jetryl: three solutions: first, there has been a trouble while uploading your images, two, I have a problem with my computer, three, your post has no use.

To Casual User: I put gold because I thought it would show the fact the lvl2 unit is richer than lvl1. And you can see the difference well.
What is also possible, is to reduce lvl1's pike.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

jetryl: did you bring enough drugs for everyone? :)

Tux2B: the hat looks more yellow than gold. In fact, when I saw it, my first thought was: "straw hat?" I'm not sure a gold helmet would be very useful anyway. It's extra-soft, so as to provide as little protection as possible, and also extra-heavy, so as to increase the chance that your neck will break. :)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
szopen

Post by szopen »

If you would finish them, could them have had a use in another campaigns?
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I can try to finish some things, but I am bad at art. Those are one of my first unit drawings. :)