Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Keops

Introduction from Keops

Post by Keops »

Hello!

My name is Ricardo "Keops" Chirino, I'm a 19 year old graphic design student from Maracaibo, Venezuela, currently specializing in developing pixel art skills. I'm a member of the Pixelation community (a forum dedicated to pixel art), where I learned about this amazing project. I'm here to let you know that I'm enjoying Wesnoth a lot and that I'm interested in helping with the development, collaborating with artwork for the game.

Well, hope we get along well.

See you!
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Wellcome :-) fellfree to find a task for you
Just download the latest game snapshot
http://www.wesnoth.org/files/win-12-Jan-04.exe (if you use linux or OsX just search in the forum or download the CVS source code)
Play a bit and if you find something missing just do it...
Open task...
Terrains: swamp tiles, better transitons (hard and boring), new improved mountains (ask Svetak 1st as he could be doing them),
Sprites: sprites for units (missing frames or from concept art images)
Large main characters portraits: For the additional campiagns or better ones or ...
Misc: weapon icons (Svetak & Azlan)
A starting screen background: "traditional" computer art no pixels ...
Translation: Read the spanish translation and if you spot something wrong (ie. we guys from Spain tend think that our castillian is the only correct one) told us (pick the sword->coge la espada, here but not there ;-)).
Check the Art section on the forum.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Greetings Keops!

We are always looking for more artists. I hope you will find something for you in fmunoz's list.

Glad you like the game, and I hope you can find an area to contribute in :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

The more art we have the more options scenario deisgners have, and the better and more professional the game looks. So thanks a lot for offering to help, I hope you have fun!
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

Warm welcome from me too Keops, I can't wait to see your pixelations for Wesnoth :) May this experience of working together be fun and inspiring.
Keops

Post by Keops »

Thanks for the warm welcoming guys!

Here's a sample of my pixel art, a portrait for my game, Magi. She's Adelan, The Goddess of Creation.

fmunoz: I can handle the portraits. I'll be sure to play the game a lot and start working on them. Any special considerations? Sizes? Color limit? etc... Be sure to tell me.

Dave: Thanks! I'm sure it'll be fun.

Svetac: Thanks man! Yeah, this is sure going to be great.

Well, see you on the boards.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Portraits for the main campign are not "pixelart"just regular photoshop (really The Gimp) works, there are IIRC 400x400 ... no colour limits ...
Ask Benj and Circon if the need portraits for their campaigns...
WIP undead campign portraits
http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... .php?t=438
Main campign Portraits
http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... c.php?t=63
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Also note that it would be great to have different emotions for each portrait -- happy, sad, angry, etc. If you play the first scenario in 'Heir to the Throne', you will immediately notice how out-of-place it looks for Konrad to be smiling as he says "they are destroying our home!" :)

(If anyone was wondering, we already have support for different emotions in portraits in code).

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

As I said Keops, that portrait looks awesome.

Also for sake of speed, I would propose smaller portraits than the current 400x400. I was thinking something along the size of Keops portrait 350x250 or even smaller - 250 x 150. And pixelated portraits will look better and more consistent to the game style, right? :) Different emotions will be cool, that is if Keops have time to do them.
Keops

Post by Keops »

Thanks for the quick replies.

fmunoz: I noticed that the portraits in Wesnoth are not pixelled, but I'll probably make them that way, since I'm developing pixel art skills after all. I'll check the threads.

Dave: It can be done. At least the most important ones. Those three emotions are a nice start.

Svetac: It's great to be able to do pixel art with no color limit hehe I feel inspired just by that fact alone.

See you.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Lets talk about it in the Art section...
methinks

Post by methinks »

Welcome Keops! (*warm cheers from the audience*)

Glad you enjoyed the game and decided to help out.

If you wish you may do not only portraits for Benj's or Circon's campaign. Main campaign protraits need different versions (with diferent emotions), as Dave has already said. Also I am not sure if there are all portraits done already. Are there fmunoz?
-Adam
Keops

Post by Keops »

Hello again.

I'm writing this to let you all know that college semester is finally over and now I'm going to get more free time to devote to my projects, including, of course, The Battle For Wesnoth.

I'll create a thread for my work later today or maybe tomorrow.

This is to let you know ^_~ Thanks for the welcoming once again.

See ya!
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

Keops, glad to hear that you have more free time to work on stuff for Wesnoth. I can't wait to see progress of your work, and your portraits for this game.

Cheers
Svetac