Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Preview: Multihex terrain

Post by freim »

I've been looking into making some multihex terrain for some time now and I though it was time for a preview. I went about it somewhat different than earlier terrain as I wanted to try something new, and to exploit the possibilities of multihex tiles.

The base tiles for the new forest are already commited to cvs, more variants will come later.

The mountains are what I've been working on the most. I've used photographs of real mountains as inspiration and to get the shadows and such more correct, they are still hand drawn pixel for pixel though which have taken a few hours to say the least. I really should get myself a drawing tablet :P

Same terrain with units. Because of the way it's layered the units will get partially covered. At the moment the HP & XP bar also gets covered, but those should probably always be on top.

http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~haskjold/wesnot ... _test2.png

I haven't really started on the hills yet apart from the test tile in the screenshots.

EDIT: another screenshot of the forest: http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~haskjold/wesnot ... _test5.jpg

comments?
Last edited by freim on April 19th, 2005, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

It looks great, I would really like this type of tiles in the game. Great work..
Just bored..
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Cool looking! It makes it a bit hard to see the hexes in some places, though...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
elscouta

Post by elscouta »

But it's ... amazing. Plainly amazing. The mountains are so... great.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Really impressive
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The mountains look awesome.

With the forest, I can't really tell there's a multi-hex tile on it, which, I guess, is as it should be.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

This art has the biggest "wow factor" since Jetryl animated the Shyde's healing glow. Seriously man - seriously cool.

This doesn't look like you've been working from photographs. This looks like you've been working from life.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Now if all the terrain in Wesnoth was this level! :shock: :D

I mean, that looks absolutely amazing...

And the hexes can be seen more easily for instance when moving in-game.

Is there an option to show the hexgrid when playing? That would at least solve the problem if someone thinks it is.
AT

Post by AT »

All hail the great Frame!
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

The new mountains look really beautiful, thought they obviously wouldn't transitions with the old ones. It's a case of much more realistic terrain as opposed to Eleazar's more cartoony mountains. I'm not sure how the multihex mountains would fit with single-hex mountains, but if anyone can make it work, frame can.

And it is hard to see the hexes with the forest terrain.
freim

Post by freim »

quartex wrote:The new mountains look really beautiful, thought they obviously wouldn't transitions with the old ones. It's a case of much more realistic terrain as opposed to Eleazar's more cartoony mountains. I'm not sure how the multihex mountains would fit with single-hex mountains, but if anyone can make it work, frame can.

And it is hard to see the hexes with the forest terrain.
They are not meant to be used together with the old ones. They also include single hex mountains, which you can see in the screenshot (there are in fact 6 of them, 2 different variants).
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Ankka wrote:Is there an option to show the hexgrid when playing? That would at least solve the problem if someone thinks it is.
Yes, there is. As I understand it, quite a few people like playing Wesnoth as a "Board Game", and so keep the grid turned on at all times. Whatever suits. :D

You know, looking them over again, these new mountains have an almost "painted" air to them, like something from an impressionist work.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Those are stunning! They should definetly replace the current ones. We might need more smaller multi-hex tiles (read 2, 3, or 4 hex sized tiles) so that we don't get the same mountain over and over again. I think they look fine with the curent hills.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Very good!! I wonder if you have watched Bob Ross while drawing them ;)
freim

Post by freim »

XJaPaN wrote:Very good!! I wonder if you have watched Bob Ross while drawing them ;)
Actually I've never heard of the guy :)