Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Wesnoth Fauna

Post by doofus-01 »

LordBob wrote: August 17th, 2020, 8:24 pm Lots of promising additions ; should we plan portraits for them ? (Many will be easier to do than humanoids, so it's not as much work as it may seem).

On sprites themselves, there are a few that could be reworked into something more pleasing before integration :
- Stoat (snow surricate-like creature ?) is not stellar
- Digger is difficult to read ; round smooth plastic-like shapes, not sure where arms and legs attach... A couple anatomy sketches would help define it better.
- Salamander is a bit dark, not sure how well it will read against a lava background ? (or any background that has light colors)

The Wyrm and Great Seawyrm are awesome sprites, would be great to use them. (Maybe they can be included in a future dragon-revamp mini-project ?)
Whatever ultimately gets added needs a portrait, but let's hold on that for now. I've removed the image in my first post, it was more for organization than sprite critique, but probably wasn't the best tool for the job. Barney the Dinosaur's cousin Digger is off the list, no need for such a thing with some of the suggestions folks made afterwards. I'll update the first post later this weekend to reflect what I think should be included (in this round at least).
Elvish_Hunter wrote: August 18th, 2020, 8:12 am Some time ago, I had the idea of moving all the Elementals to core, given that a lot of add-ons use them and the sprites are always the same. Can I go ahead and prepare a pull request that imports them from Era of Myths (which I remember is the first era where they appeared eons ago)?
I'm not sure what the current thinking is, but there was an idea somewhat recently to have Dunefolk be part of a new mainline MP era, rather than shoehorning them into Default. The Quenoth Elves from UtBS could possibly be added, even if it didn't make sense lore-wise. Maybe an Elementals faction could find a place there. It will be a lot of work.

An easier thing might be to add a couple of the Elementals as standalone units, like the fire guardian. The air elemental looks like it would have some overlap with the jinn.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Started a portrait for the crocodile. The armor isn't all that true to a real crocodile, but this is a fantasy game, so why not. This wasn't the most pressing aspect of the fauna subproject, but I couldn't get motivated enough to think about the bigger picture.
Spoiler:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Looking good, I think it just needs some adjustment on proportions to read better. I don't have too much time right now, but here's a quick and dirty sketch for feedback.

Also as an afterthought, maybe give the tongue and inner mouth a nice contrasting color. It doesn't need to be super realistic, but it can be a nice way to bring an accent in a picture that is otherwise all greens and yellows.
Attachments
Paintover_crocodile.jpg
Paintover_crocodile.jpg (118.14 KiB) Viewed 34872 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. Curving the tail over was a good call. For color, I added a piece of cloth to the mouth, but maybe it's too specific and draws attention to an irrelevant detail. Colorful throat probably is a better idea.
Spoiler:
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

suggestions;
possible strips for the throat or the body? it would break up the 2 color scheme making it more interesting.
possible crests or head ornaments
Also the tail needs a longer "paddle" portion than the current portrait shows. As it is now it would suggest that this creature is not good at propelling through water and be more terrestrial. However it could just be the position that tricks the mind.
The Jaws/skull are fine unless you want them to be menacing or different. This area could be what ever you want it to look like. could have big teeth like kaprosuchus, I would suggest looking at some prehistoric crocodyliforms/crocodile like creatures for inspiration.
The belly seems large to me however there are pics of crocs with large bellies. So it depends on the artist and position of the body.

somethings to consider.
What is their prey this effects skull and jaw appearance/function.
What type of movement motion on land you want? side to side movement, galloping, or high walk?
Is there just going to be 1 sprite/portrait or is there going to be advancements?
will saurians be capable of "taming" them, if they are they could have something to indicate them.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Hi,

What was the reason for not including the Tusker?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

vghetto wrote: October 17th, 2020, 9:44 pm Hi,

What was the reason for not including the Tusker?
I guess you could call it laziness. Or maybe triage. The sprites & animations need some update, and somebody will need to draw the portraits (Lordbob if you're lucky, me if you're not, maybe someone else if there are any boar enthusiasts), i.e. most of the hard work is still ahead. Also, the basic concept of goofy babies with dangerous adults didn't need the middle unit. Tusker just isn't worth it, in my opinion. Resources spent on Tusker could have gone somewhere else.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Ok, if you want to drop one, it should have been the tusklet and not the tusker.

I use the tusker line, all 3 of them. I copied mine from the founding of borstep addon.

The decision to exclude the middle one and change the gorer level created interesting problems for me when I compiled 1.15.6 yesterday.
I got some errors and warnings. Ideally the new mainline units should be a drop-in replacement. So all I'd have to do is delete my copy of those units and presto.

But it is not so, the same id was used and they are not the same units, again, because of the missing middle one and the change of the gorer level.

For now, I renamed everything on my end. which means that I won't be using the mainline tusker line at all, which is a shame.

The tusklet is a mini-me version of a tusker. they look so much the same, take one and zoom out or in and you've got the other one.

I don't want you to drop any of them, but if it is a question of time/resources, i'd suggest dropping the level 0 tusklet and keeping the level 1 tusker.

thanks.
Straff

Post by Straff »

vghetto wrote: October 18th, 2020, 8:07 am Ok, if you want to drop one, it should have been the tusklet and not the tusker.

The tusklet is a mini-me version of a tusker. they look so much the same, take one and zoom out or in and you've got the other one.

I don't want you to drop any of them, but if it is a question of time/resources, i'd suggest dropping the level 0 tusklet and keeping the level 1 tusker.
I second that, the tusklet is a useless unit, while the tusker is pretty a pretty cool one.
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Hello. I have been called there because doofus asked me in PM about it.
Edwylm wrote: August 16th, 2020, 8:38 pm Shessinsaans forgot which era they are in. shessinsaan.png
That's from Age of Tentacles.
MoonyDragon wrote: August 16th, 2020, 1:27 pm In my campaign, I used the fully animated and portrait-complete centipedes (1 2 3) made by Wayirr & Saurrian.
Perhaps they could be included too.
They are licensed under GNU GPL v2+ and CC-BY-SA, so they can be used in derivative addons, as long, as they are not mixed in with proprietary/non-free stuff such as CC with ND (no derivative works) or NC (non-commercial) flags. And it's required to mention which files were imported from where.

Though you can't use CC-BY-ND stuff in your campaign by definition, anyway, though, since you campaign will be derived work, and ND flag means that derived works are prohibited.

Also, please change the unit id, to make sure there is no conflicts if both your and mine addons are installed.
Last edited by Wayirr on October 26th, 2020, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

As I understand it, the ND applies to the image specifically. So someone can use a CC-ND image in their add-on without issues, however they can't modify the image itself in any way.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Wayirr wrote: October 26th, 2020, 1:20 am They are licensed under GNU GPL v2+, so they can be used in derivative addons, as long, as they are not mixed in with proprietary/non-free stuff such as CC with ND (no derivative works) or NC (non-commercial) flags. And it's required to mention which files were imported from where.

Though you can't use CC-BY-ND stuff in your campaign by definition, anyway, though, since you campaign will be derived work, and ND flag means that derived works are prohibited.
The "README" file from the "Age of Tentacles" on the 1.12 add-on server states that the centipede art (among others) is licensed under CC-BY-SA, so I assumed using it in my own UMC was permitted. I do not quite understand what issue you are pointing at, but since my campaign is currently in a state of limbo (-at least until the 1.15 dunefolk get a concrete lore which I can build on-), I will take it down to avoid further inconveniences.

Be assured that I'm going to use artwork more cautiously in the reworked version of my campaign ^^
Wayirr wrote: October 26th, 2020, 1:20 am Also, please change the unit id, to make sure there is no conflicts if both your and mine addons are installed.
A conflict of data only ensues when both add-ons are loaded at the same time, for example as eras in multiplayer. My add-on is a singleplayer campaign, so there shouldn't be an issue, afaik.
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

MoonyDragon wrote: October 26th, 2020, 2:59 pm The "README" file from the "Age of Tentacles" on the 1.12 add-on server states that the centipede art (among others) is licensed under CC-BY-SA, so I assumed using it in my own UMC was permitted. I do not quite understand what issue you are pointing at, but since my campaign is currently in a state of limbo (-at least until the 1.15 dunefolk get a concrete lore which I can build on-), I will take it down to avoid further inconveniences.
You don't need to take down anything. And don't do things prematurely, please. CC-BY-SA is a different license. It is indeed available. However it can't be mixed with CC-BY-ND or CC-BY-NC things.

I'm not pointing to any issues at your particular add-on, I'm just describing terms and conditions in general.

Of course, the reuse is permitted. But there is condition that everything else in your addon should also be allowed to be used in other's UMC.

Can you please give me name of your addon so I can take a look? I can't find it on the add-on server.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Trying to flesh out some of the committed beasts, these are WIP portraits.
Spoiler:
ghype

Post by ghype »

Good job on the falcons!

Out of all of the suggestions I would to see the sea wyrm and scarab beetle. This just because the scarab would fit in the dunefolk universe and the sea wyrm could be populated in the unexplored southern parts of Irdya.