Wesnoth Fauna

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
vghetto

Re: Wesnoth Fauna

Post by vghetto »

I still wish you'd put back the middle tusker.
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

I feel the same way as vghetto. Advancements like these add a certain flavour to monster units and make them feel as 'real' as the units that the player recruits. This gives umc creators the option to use them in other ways than as generic monster units, similar to the Vampire Bat.
The middle tusker unit has good graphics, gives umc creators more options and allows for finer balancing - how come it was cut out?
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

MoonyDragon wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 5:46 pm I feel the same way as vghetto. Advancements like these add a certain flavour to monster units and make them feel as 'real' as the units that the player recruits. This gives umc creators the option to use them in other ways than as generic monster units, similar to the Vampire Bat.
The middle tusker unit has good graphics, gives umc creators more options and allows for finer balancing - how come it was cut out?
It was cut out because not recycling portraits was one of the goals for 1.16, and also I'm not so sure about the good graphics. If there is a strong need for a beast with advancements, I guess I can reconsider, but the tusker doesn't seem like the best use of resources[*] for that. Maybe the best thing is just to rename these to boars.

Since there were already three scorpion units, and the spider zombie didn't seem like a good fit, I am working on a scorpion zombie. Since there is a scorpion zombie, adding another scorpion is relatively simple. Possibly a scorpion advancement would be good, but "ancient scorpion" or something similar seems pretty lame.

[*] - "best use of resources" is subjective and includes my own willingness to work on something. If someone provides a decent portrait, I'll certainly reconsider.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Marximilian

Post by Marximilian »

Hello I recently found some interesting sprites recently that has never been used and might make a fine addition to Wesnoth's fauna collection
Attachments
lamia.png
lamia.png (1.15 KiB) Viewed 36749 times
man-cat.png
man-cat.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 36749 times
manticore.png
manticore.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 36749 times
manticore-winged.png
manticore-winged.png (2.23 KiB) Viewed 36749 times
empusa.png
empusa.png (1.58 KiB) Viewed 36749 times
The_Quixotic_King

Post by The_Quixotic_King »

Mechanical made a black Pegasus sprite, I recolored it to be a normal Pegasus. He's absolutely huge, but it's here if you want it.
Pegasus.png
Pegasus.png (2.87 KiB) Viewed 36684 times
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

developer of era of empires (In progress)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Marximilian wrote: April 11th, 2021, 4:31 pm Hello I recently found some interesting sprites recently that has never been used and might make a fine addition to Wesnoth's fauna collection
Hah, I recognize those. The manticore could be something to work on, it could end up being either funny or creepy. Let's see if there is time. The cockatrice is another classic monster and has already shown up in Wesnoth, maybe it could be considered too (though the petrify ability might need rethinking).
The_Quixotic_King wrote: April 12th, 2021, 1:36 pm Mechanical made a black Pegasus sprite, I recolored it to be a normal Pegasus. He's absolutely huge, but it's here if you want it.
Pegasus.png
Another classic, let's see if there is time. If cut & paste of the gryphon wings works, there might be. Makes me realize the regular horse got lost somewhere.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

doofus-01 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:11 pm Hah, I recognize those. The manticore could be something to work on, it could end up being either funny or creepy. Let's see if there is time. The cockatrice is another classic monster and has already shown up in Wesnoth, maybe it could be considered too (though the petrify ability might need rethinking).
My suggestion would be to give ranged slow to the cockatrice, and the death animation "stones" the unit, then it crumbles. so mechanically the dead "aren't taking any slot on the board".
Another classic, let's see if there is time. If cut & paste of the gryphon wings works, there might be. Makes me realize the regular horse got lost somewhere.
wish good luck with that I hope the gryphon works. as a note you can technically also make a "nightmare" if you make it black and give it dragon/drake wings. (thou nightmares usually have fire on the calves? but you can use the fire from other sources for it, like the goblin pillager animated fire)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello, I was wondering if these can be added into the Fauna project.
owl.png
owl.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 36424 times
great-owl.png
great-owl.png (2.21 KiB) Viewed 36424 times
They look really good, have animations and the artist is doofus-01. The units even have portraits.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

doofus-01 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 1:14 am Since there were already three scorpion units, and the spider zombie didn't seem like a good fit, I am working on a scorpion zombie. Since there is a scorpion zombie, adding another scorpion is relatively simple. Possibly a scorpion advancement would be good, but "ancient scorpion" or something similar seems pretty lame.
I had missed that rock scorpion, but the shell is pretty rad. Love it ! 8)
You might want to reconsider the tail, though. Right now it looks like it was shrivelled as the result of an illness or hereditary defect, or a mad sorcerer tinkering with an otherwise healthy scorpion. The sudden contrast of this frail tube with the massive body gives off a grotesque impression that I don't dislike, however I might reserve it for artificial creatures or demonic creatures.

Alternately if you want to stick with that tail design, I would try to balance by making it longer with a more progressive transition from large body segments to the thin tail ones. Maybe the long thin tail is even a quirk of this particular species and mountain dwellers have nicknamed it the rat-tailed scorpion because of it. There's always a good story to tell somewhere :)

For the record, mental picture that I form when looking at the current scorpion. As I said, nothing wrong with it but it may not be the desired result. Such a creature could very well exist as a result of natural evolution, and maybe instead of injecting poison with a stinger it projects a toxic substance with a spray-gun tail that needs to be agile but doesn't necessarity reach very far. It's all up to you.
Paintover_Rock-scorpion.jpg
Paintover_Rock-scorpion.jpg (16.49 KiB) Viewed 36377 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: April 20th, 2021, 3:29 pm Hello, I was wondering if these can be added into the Fauna project.
owl.png
great-owl.png
They look really good, have animations and the artist is doofus-01. The units even have portraits.
Thanks, I could look at those, they might be a good option if we're running out of time and need something. I'm not completely sure they have the right perspective, but they wouldn't be the only ones.
LordBob wrote: April 21st, 2021, 12:57 pm You might want to reconsider the tail, though. Right now it looks like it was shrivelled as the result of an illness or hereditary defect, or a mad sorcerer tinkering with an otherwise healthy scorpion. The sudden contrast of this frail tube with the massive body gives off a grotesque impression that I don't dislike, however I might reserve it for artificial creatures or demonic creatures.
I actually was thinking of a smaller, atrophied tail, somewhat inspired by a vinegaroon. But if the transition is too strange, I'll rework it. I'm also not thrilled with its right claw, it's too much in the plane. Fortunately, these can be fixed at any time (won't break compatibility), so I don't have to cram it in on a deadline, as long as the portrait is "good enough for now".
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This is a bit cartoonish, but it's a simple unit and I'm using IPFs for variations (for now at least), so simple shading is convenient.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

doofus-01 wrote: April 24th, 2021, 11:33 amI actually was thinking of a smaller, atrophied tail, somewhat inspired by a vinegaroon.
I had no idea these even existed. They're weird and a fun source of inspiration. 8)
Yes, I do think the strangeness in the portrait boils down to the overall body/tail relation, but as you say any changes can wait.

Not much to say on the horse. Something about the position of the front right leg seems a bit off. More specifically in the lower half, unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with horse anatomy to put my finger on what it is exactly that disturbs me. :hmm:
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

LordBob wrote: April 28th, 2021, 7:06 am Something about the position of the front right leg seems a bit off.
I agree that it looks a little off. It may be because a leg in that position usually bends backwards at the last joint just above the hoof.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I edited the hoof, I'm not sure what the issue is (not really a horse expert either), so I'm not sure if it's an improvement. I added a couple other ones, done somewhat quickly, so they probably need revision.

I've also got a portrait for the Greater Seahorse, I suspect it also needs work but still think it's better than nothing.

EDIT: I should say, this is closed. More would be nice, but we're out of time.
vghetto

Re: [closed] Wesnoth Fauna

Post by vghetto »

It would be nice if the internal name of the fire ant's fire attack is more descriptive for coding purposes. Maybe something like name=fire breath like the drakes. Currently it's just name=fire.
I also noticed that the orcs fire crossbow or fire bow attack is simply called name=crossbow or name=bow

Btw, thank you for changing the tusker id to boar. There wouldn't be a conflict now :)