Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Even more zombie sprites needed

Post by beetlenaut »

I'm adding a new zombie system to Secrets of the Ancients where, as soon as you kill any unit, you can recruit that type of walking corpse. That means I need walking corpse sprites for pretty much every unit though. Recent work, mostly by doofus-01, has given us almost everything, but I still really need Giant Rats and Giant Spiders. (I hate to say, "You have defeated a giant spider, so now you can recruit people on horses! It makes no sense.) They don't even have to be animated--just a base frame would do. I'm not a great artist, but I'm way worse at designing units that look good.

Wolf riders would be nice too, though not essential. Eternal did a good base frame, ages ago, but we would still need a soulless version. In this case, it would have to be animated though, because otherwise it wouldn't be better than a regular wolf, which is what I'm using now.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: even more zombie sprites needed

Post by Vyncyn »

I don't know what a zombie spider is even supposed to look like. They don't exactly have bones which could show or rotting flesh. Maybe a few missing legs, dead eyes a different colour and a strange pose like that
spider-melee-11.png
spider-melee-11.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 6531 times
?
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

technically a "undead spider" would look like a spider walking on its back clumsily. (since they tend to put their legs up above when dying) ot so I have seen on movies and such, it would move weirdly (its back on the ground!) and it probably has problems attacking, but that's how I envision it.

Missing/broken legs and a few eyes punctured is probably another good way to portray it, I guess.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I agree that having it on its back would be ideal, but it would take quite a few frames to animate it moving and attacking. I certainly can't do it. Vyncyn and I were thinking along the same lines, because this is the placeholder image I have been using for both levels.
zombie-spider.png
zombie-spider.png (2.32 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
I think it looks pretty bad though. My attempt at a dead rat is just embarrassing, so I'm not posting that.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Has anyone played Limbo? At some ppoint you have to fight a giant spider by repeatedly cutting off its legs. In the end it drags itself around with only one. Would be kinda interesting, but maybe a bit too strange when all zombie spiders end up with only one leg.
On a related note, would it be possible to make a non-fluent movement animation in WML, so the stays still while it places its leg and only moves foreward while it drags itsself?

I didn't see that you already had a placeholder, so i had made this quick recolour version. Not optimal, but maybe another placeholder so you have different versions for soulless/zombie.
test.png
test.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 6487 times
For the rat I made this.
zombie-rat.png
zombie-rat.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 6487 times
Kinda hard to have visible details on a small unit like that.

For the soulless version maybe some sort of rat king or just one rat standing on it's hind legs :hmm:
ghype

Post by ghype »

i have a take on the zombie rat , where you can see some of its ribs.
Attachments
zombie-rat-2.png
zombie-rat-2.png (4.21 KiB) Viewed 6477 times
zombie-rat-1.png
zombie-rat-1.png (4.18 KiB) Viewed 6477 times
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I like the zombie-rat-2. It looks more famished and zombie-like
ghype

Post by ghype »

and the soulless rat is basically Giant_Rat zombie?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Vyncyn wrote: November 30th, 2018, 1:09 pm On a related note, would it be possible to make a non-fluent movement animation in WML, so the stays still while it places its leg and only moves foreward while it drags itsself?
Yes, that's possible. The animation engine is pretty flexible. Having a spider with just one leg might be going too far, but I like the idea of a spider dragging itself around with just a few legs on one side. All it needs is animation frames...
Vyncyn wrote: November 30th, 2018, 2:23 pm I like the zombie-rat-2. It looks more famished and zombie-like
Sure, that will work for level 1. Since its mouth is open, it probably needs more prominent front teeth though. I played around with skeletons last night and came up with something that I don't think is terrible. The perspective came out wrong, but maybe something in this direction would be good for the soulless.
Attachments
soulless-rat.png
soulless-rat.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 6404 times
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
The_Gnat

Re: Even more zombie sprites needed

Post by The_Gnat »

I drew a wolf rider zombie a while back. I will see if I can find it again.

EDIT: Fully animated wolf rider zombie and soulless
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

The_Gnat wrote: November 30th, 2018, 11:38 pmFully animated wolf rider zombie and soulless
Okay, thanks! I'll use these for now. But, if someone animates Eternal's sprite, I'll use that instead because it's not a frankenstein.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes that makes sense!
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I had made this draft yesterday.
soulless rat2.png
soulless rat2.png (719 Bytes) Viewed 6314 times
So wondering if that direction is ok or if you want a skeletal version on 4 feet

And here an edit with bigger front teeth
zombie-rat-3.png
zombie-rat-3.png (1.16 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

No, that looks great! It looks a lot larger than the level-0, so it might be a few pixels too big, but it's already better than I expected.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
enclave

Post by enclave »

beetlenaut wrote: November 30th, 2018, 11:36 am I agree that having it on its back would be ideal, but it would take quite a few frames to animate it moving and attacking. I certainly can't do it. Vyncyn and I were thinking along the same lines, because this is the placeholder image I have been using for both levels.zombie-spider.pngI think it looks pretty bad though. My attempt at a dead rat is just embarrassing, so I'm not posting that.
i think your spider looks good for zombie spider.. just about what it should be.. a bit ill looking..