Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel
Art Director

New Shyde.

Post by Jetrel »

And likewise, a revised version of the druid to follow.

Back in the day, I assembled a list of the graphics in wesnoth that I thought needed improvement. Through an ungainly amount of work, that list has shrunken dramatically.
In fact, it's almost gone. When it is gone, then I can assault the making of "new" things.

Here is what still remains:
  • A less "40000 A.D." Dragonguard (mostly finished, thanks to Shadow)
  • The shock trooper and heavy infantry need some very, very minor tweaks on their shields to make them look a bit more curved, and some very, very minor specular lighting tweaks - again, to make them look less 2d.
  • I'm not fond of the wolves, I'm not sure how to "fix" them, but I'll figure something out, eventually. The worst offender is the pillager's wolf.
  • Our torches blow, mostly on account of being static. This is one area of the game that cries out for a scriptable sprite engine, where one can define parent-child relationships. (aka, small burning flame graphic is made a child of pillager graphic - wherever the key point on the pillager graphic goes, the flame follows.
  • Some unit height corrections. (mostly finished, thanks to Shadow)
Most of these are small tasks I just need to get around to.

Last but not least, was the face on the druid/shyde/shaman, and a number of things about the shyde. The green hair, for one, I was not fond of - I liked the idea of giving her wisps of flora trailing through her .. hair and all, but I didn't like the means of representing it. I also was never fond of the gigantic flower that serendipitously obscured her rather décolleté outfitting.

Nothing against the red flowers, but they would need to be a lot smaller.

So, here is a proposed replacement. Based on a comment from dave, there may be a currently unused graphical feature I might be able to tap into that would make these ladies look even more interesting. :wink: The nature of that I leave as a secret surprise, unless it fails to pan out.

(Side note - as I split the current sorceress/enchantress/sylph over to the high elven faction, and bump them all down a level, they will be somewhat repurposed. They will be the high elven healers, meaning that they all will get healing animations, though only the sylph will spin. They will retain their damage power, though they will lose their entangling attack.)

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

Graphical History Lesson:

Note that "James Paige" was a minor graphical contributor, noted mostly for his excellent work in providing Gwiti Ha'atael's sprites.

Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Man, what's with the trend of putting on more clothes, i think fmunoz was right the first time :wink:

In all seriousness, though, it looks a lot more polished than the old Shyde.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

It looks real beautiful.
I like the dust that falls from the wings and of course the rest of the changes.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes

Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Uh waaay to mutch gliter, this is supposed to be a nature spirit, not sparkling fariy barbie.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

Kamahawk wrote:Uh waaay to mutch gliter, this is supposed to be a nature spirit, not sparkling fariy barbie.
Not glitter - gossamer, like a spider web. Forests have lots of those, and they look really pretty in the light, especially when they have little drops of dew on them.

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

:twisted: Now she glows. :P

I think it looks very appropriately faerie-like.
Note that this is not the "finished product".
Though the glow effect does produce some blurring, I will need to do some sharpening.

ahwayakchih

Post by ahwayakchih »

Jetryl You make great work on gfx (THX! :)), but here... IMHO the one with green hair had some "originality", after Your change it's not much different from rest of elves, and thus less interesting :(. Yes it's more "finished" but IMHO much less interesting than the one with green hair.

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

ahwayakchih wrote:Jetryl You make great work on gfx (THX! :)), but here... IMHO the one with green hair had some "originality", after Your change it's not much different from rest of elves, and thus less interesting :(. Yes it's more "finished" but IMHO much less interesting than the one with green hair.
So, the GIANT, GLOWING DRAGONFLY WINGS don't make it original?

I disagree with this on artistic grounds - the neon green hair was added to make it more LUMINOUS, not more original. By having it, the green-haired sprite looked brighter and more faerie-like than the old yellow-haired one.

I'm not opposed to sprucing things up a bit - I might add some streams of flowers in her hair. I might subtly color shift her hair to have a slightly more luminescent hue than the rest. But the green hair is gone. It looked tacky, and I think the sprite looks more interesting without the green hair, than with.

It's supposed to look like the rest of the elves, at least in the following ways: Hair color, skin color, and height. Those are the things we use to keep our races cohesive in appearance - humans and dwarves have a variety of hair and skin colors, but they never have blond hair of this unnaturally bright sheen that the elves have.

I do not share the tastes in color that makers of games like the early Final Fantasy, or Secret of Mana, do. For all the good work in those games, I consider their color choices to be a childish, artistic sin.

Especially compared with stuff like this: http://www.goodbrush.com/
That is an artist who helped make the games that I grew up on, and I think his art is a lot more moving and beautiful than that of even the best SNES games. I follow his style of color choices more closely than I follow anyone elses, although I am now starting to see the smallest differences in my artistic character and his, now that I don't suck anymore.

For the first time in my life, I'm finally getting to the point where a dream of being able to paint as well as he does no longer looks unattainable.

vartagh

Post by vartagh »

she's better naked :D

defsy

Post by defsy »

Jetryl wrote:Now she glows.
This one looks definitely nicer, IMO.
Even though I still have major trouble on identifying/recognising
her right arm (the one you see on the left ;)).
At first glance it's not clear wether her arm is her arm (:roll:)
or the clothing below/hair above that flows in the same direction is meant to be it.

:D defsy
P.S.: If you don't understand a word I'm saying,
I'll try to make up a picture-annotation this evening.
Life creates order, but order does not create life. --- What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.
- both: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
JID:defsy@amessage.info

Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Jetryl wrote:It's supposed to look like the rest of the elves
I cannot agree more and think this is fantastic work (I cannot even find ANYTHING to criticise)! If others like things neon and shiny, why don't they post images for all the other units in BfW to make them look like the current shyde :P ?

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

I agree the wings are cool and the rest of the detailing too
perhaps the left arm is harder to see
Last edited by Shadow on March 4th, 2005, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

defsy wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Now she glows.
This one looks definitely nicer, IMO.
Even though I still have major trouble on identifying/recognising
her right arm (the one you see on the left ;)).
At first glance it's not clear wether her arm is her arm (:roll:)
or the clothing below/hair above that flows in the same direction is meant to be it.
This is basically the only criticism I have of it too. Great job otherwise. :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think it looks great..

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming