Chasm Abyss - Animation // Mainline?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ghype

Chasm Abyss - Animation // Mainline?

Post by ghype »

after i (unsuccessfully) finished the destroyed orcish wall and stumbled upon all those amazing terrain animations in 1.13.14, i decided to try me on something which has no animations. Hence the chasm animation

i need a brake from those walls before i repair them...

Here is my take on it:
- 10 frames of 2 layers (shining stars + background)
- background frames have very slight movement too created by slight lighting adjustments
- supposedly each frame is 0.001s long
abyss_anim_1_0.001.gif
abyss_anim_1_0.001.gif (27.89 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
EDIT: the top left star could be emphasised. it hardly shimmers.

i have no feeling on how fast the frames actually should be, but i know those numbers are coded anything, all i would provide are the slides.

one problem though:
when importing the image in phostoshop CS5, the background has a red-ish tint. but when i checked it in editor of 1.13.14 all chasm are blue-ish.
can i assume that there is some what filter applied or the images are somewhat processed?
cause even all the other default abyss images are shown red-ish as you can see in the screenshot i provided

or maybe i am just too tired and do not see properly any more. can any one consult me on this?

EDIT: in case you are not familiar with this, the white windows in the screenshot are standart mac previews. they should de-color image files. thats why i get so confused.
Screenshot 2018-04-19 05.54.17.png
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Chasm Abyss - Animation // Mainline?

Post by Pentarctagon »

That looks like it'd be pretty neat, actually.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ghype

Post by ghype »

here is animation for abyss2
Attachments
abyss_anim_2_0.001.gif
abyss_anim_2_0.001.gif (30.72 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

the frames in case anyone feels the need to improve any of them.
abyss2.zip
(186.74 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
abyss1.zip
(193.16 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice those look really good!
ghype

Post by ghype »

i was kindly asked to review the stellar animation from Galactic Empire and to compare it to mine.

there are concerns that since i animated all of the big stars it could be too much shimmering and movement in the stars.
upon watching GE's take on the stellar animation i am considering to change my vision for chasm animations:

(1) there are a total of 8 chasm's and 1 abyss tile which would have to be animated.
(2) instead of animating all bigger stars in each of the 9 chasm images, i would animate only 1 to so it is more realistic
(3) coding wise it would be probably easy for example

default image - X seconds
costum frames - Y seconds
(default image - X seconds) optional since the loop finished after the last costum frame

(4)this way the wml wizards can program different times for each loop to create variations in time
(4.1) means X represents a much higher number as Y
(4.2) whereas X is variable, Y constant

(5) small shimmer = 3 frames, medium shimmer = 5 frames , big shimmer = 7 frames
(5.1) lets say we have we have for realistic matter 2 big, 3 medium and 4 small shimmers across the 9 chasm images
(5.2) this results int 41 frames, which really is not alot

lets push it further..

(6) for each of of the 9 chasm images, i could do a 2nd variations. so you would end up with 2 sets of animation for 1 chasm.
(6.1) i could re-distribute the 2 big, 3 medium and 4 small shimmers and result in another 41 frames, total 82 which to me is doable

why all the changes?

(7) my current way requires 10 frames for 1 animation = 90 frames, but 180 frames for second set of variations
(7.1) thats 4 times the effort and time...

Recap: the new suggested way would result and much more flexibility in creating variation to the animation. If I'd finish the 9 chasm as i did the 2st to i would run in the problem that they are all static loops.

here you can watch the GE demo and can compare it my. Now imagine that GE-Demo would shimmer as much as my animaiton.
it would look like TOO much...

Note: sometimes the gifs dont load properly. try refreshing or come some time later
Attachments
abyss_anim_1_0.001.gif
abyss_anim_1_0.001.gif (27.89 KiB) Viewed 5833 times
abyss_anim_2_0.001.gif
abyss_anim_2_0.001.gif (30.72 KiB) Viewed 5833 times
GE-demo.gif
GE-demo.gif (78.8 KiB) Viewed 5833 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

ghype wrote: April 20th, 2018, 11:49 pm for each of of the 9 chasm images, i could do a 2nd variations
This is really going about it the hard way. Instead, you should make animations of each of the stars individually on transparent backgrounds. Then, with terrain_graphics rules, you can make several of them stack on top of each other randomly every time a chasm is used. That way, a small number of frames would automatically give you dozens of variations. Having just two variations would lead to repeating patters of stars all the time.

I did this in Secrets of the Ancients for glinting gems in cave walls. You can look in the SotA folder for images/terrain/crystal_caves and utils/terrain_graphics (starting at line 36) to see how that method works. (SotA is included in 1.13.x.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide