Proposed New Images for Time-of-Day

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:

Should these images be used instead of the current ones?

Yes!
86%
No! Keep it the way it is!
7%
I'm undecided - they both look good!
7%

Total votes: 28

Dave
Founding Developer

Proposed New Images for Time-of-Day

Post by Dave »

A user has proposed the following new images for time-of-day. What do people think of them?

(If you want to see them in-game, save them to images/ under the Wesnoth directory).

“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
azlan

New time images..

Post by azlan »

Hi Dave.. Yes i like this pix better than the old once... Not that the old once are ugly but just not enought.. :)
|----------------------|
| The Lion is Back |
|----------------------|
Pushnell

Post by Pushnell »

I think the night images need more/brighter stars. At first glance (until I really got my nose up to the screen), it looked like a drab solid-blue canvas.

Oh, and it seems a little odd to me that the moon would shift phases between first & second watch ....

Other than that, yes, they look great.
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

I agree with Pushnell, the moon thing is a bit odd. But I really lika the two day pictures colors.
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

I agree with KK-r and Pushnell. The day images are great, the night ones need brighter stars and some kind of discreet glow applied to the night.
Pushnell

Post by Pushnell »

Last edited by Pushnell on December 23rd, 2003, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Hmm, I think you may have over done it :) I'd like to see the star size and brightness to be somewhere between the first pics and your mods.
Pushnell

Post by Pushnell »

I can adjust that until people are happy, but I just noticed one other flaw ... the Dusk image has the half-moon image, while night is full-moon.

Back to photoshop :) (I should have my new edits up in a little while, a few hours at most.) Before I dive in one last time, any opinions on half-moon/full moon?
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

half-moon looks nicer
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

KK_r wrote:half-moon looks nicer
I concur. =D
Pushnell

Post by Pushnell »

More Mods

This time, with all half-moons (facing the same direction :) ), and darker stars.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Use the news :-)
100% nicer
May you could add a dim light point or two in the castle/building at 1st watch?
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

fmunoz wrote: May you could add a dim light point or two in the castle/building at 1st watch?
Good Idea! Pushnell, the moon still looks like a different phase at night. Maybe you could shave off a few pixels so it matches the dawn/dusk moon.
zwol

Post by zwol »

Woodwizzle wrote:Pushnell, the moon still looks like a different phase at night. Maybe you could shave off a few pixels so it matches the dawn/dusk moon.
Also, the phase of the moon determines when it rises and sets. You've drawn a waxing crescent, which should rise and set only a few hours after the sun - it should be in the sky in the daytime and hardly at all at night.

I think it'd be good to get this phenomenon right. If you made the moon be consistently the way it is in the current night frames, then I think it should rise in the first full-daylight frame (have it just peeping over the mountains) and set in the first full-night frame, leaving the second full-night frame with no moon at all.

Down the road, it would be nifty to have a complete set of moon-phase pictures and rise times, which got applied based on the internal game calendar. And then make that have game effects, as time-of-day does now ... undead do better in true night than when there's a moon? Werewolves, anyone? :D
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

zwol wrote:And then make that have game effects, as time-of-day does now ... undead do better in true night than when there's a moon?
Traditionally, a full moon is associated more with undead-type creatures than no moon at all.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming