using art

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
icecubeflower

using art

Post by icecubeflower »

Is there a post here on the ethics of using art from the game? I think the GPL makes it legal but what do the artists think? Is it cool as long as you credit the game or should you email each artist and ask permission or would they just prefer we not use it at all?
what is HODOR?
Wussel

Re: using art

Post by Wussel »

Artist in general do not have a good understanding of this concept called open source. GPL is not even made for art.
However it says clearly: It can be used. You can just not claim it as your own and you have to give credit. CC comes in different versions to the flavor of your liking. There is a NC (not commercial) clause for CC too.

HODOR means "Hold the DOoR"
icecubeflower

Post by icecubeflower »

I mean do you guys care, though. I mean if you spent the time and talent drawing a sprite for this game and then you saw it being used on someone's website would you feel ripped off or would you be cool with it?
what is HODOR?
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

To put your art up in mainline or UMC, you're accepting that your art is licensed under one of the approved licenses. Which is up to you.

If someone else uses your artwork, you're free to feel ripped-off. Most probably would, as an initial reaction. But, so long as that use complies with the terms of your license, you must be "cool" with that use.

If they did not comply, you should, of course, not be "cool" with the violation, and are free to take any legally permissible action you deem appropriate.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Try out the dark board theme.
icecubeflower

Post by icecubeflower »

What if i wanted to put archer-bow.png from /usr/share/wesnoth/data/core/images/units/orcs/ on my webpage? How would I make that legal? Put a link to a copy of /usr/share/wesnoth/data/copying.txt on the same page? Or just give a shout out to The Battle for Wesnoth on the same page?
what is HODOR?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

If you want to make sure an artist is okay with how you want to use their art, then the only way to do that is to ask them. Different artists may have slightly different preferences, sometimes depending on the piece of art.

I was going to suggest that you can usually find mention of who made which image by browsing the commit history of individual files, but sadly that's actually really cumbersome in many cases because of one past mass-move/rename.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

So bottom line, this isn't the right place to ask this, you need to find the actual person who made that particular picture.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

icecubeflower,

Say that the images are covered by either GPL v2 or CC BY-SA 4.0 and emphasize that the images came from BfW (attribution). If you do that, you can have a pretty clear conscience. Provide Shiki's link for extra padding, but it shouldn't be a requirement. Getting permission from the artist is ideal, but Wesnoth's assets span over a decade, the artists may be unreachable. These licenses exist for a reason.

If you are using the images in good faith, don't worry. We'd love the advertising, and this whole project is supposed to be shareable by like-minded people anyway. Respect the terms of the licenses as best you can, that's all we ask.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects