Query about troll sprites

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:

Query about troll sprites

Postby josteph » November 24th, 2017, 1:31 am

Hi,

I just wanted to point out that the unit types Great Troll and Troll Warrior have the same sprite. I didn't see this recorded on any "Missing/wanted art" list so I thought it might be helpful to post and point it out.

Keep up the good work!

(I asked on the users' forum first and was forwarded here.)
josteph

Re: Query about troll sprites

Postby ElderofZion » November 24th, 2017, 9:51 am

Do they really? At least the great troll in SotBE had slightly changed color, it was more brown.
@Elder but we have asked for the disclosure of all the cheese and we treat it seriously. Everyone on this site can get banned, everyone.
@Elder ale prosiliśmy o wyjawianie wszystkich serów i traktujemy to poważnie. Każdy na tej stronie może zostać zbanowany, każdy.

- Sagez
ElderofZion

Postby josteph » November 24th, 2017, 6:46 pm

josteph

Postby ElderofZion » November 24th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Hm it seems to rather be a campaign effect.

From toward mountains of haag

apply_to=image_mod
# This shifts the skin colors to be slightly more red
replace="PAL(D0CFBF,A8A8A8,747F73,616153,374336>D3BCC1,A8A8A8,817D71,635054,454133)"
[/effect]
[/object]
[/modifications]
[/unit]

So, the great troll image needs to be changed accordingly for this to have the same effect outside of the campaign great troll, it shouldn't be too hard.
@Elder but we have asked for the disclosure of all the cheese and we treat it seriously. Everyone on this site can get banned, everyone.
@Elder ale prosiliśmy o wyjawianie wszystkich serów i traktujemy to poważnie. Każdy na tej stronie może zostać zbanowany, każdy.

- Sagez
ElderofZion

Postby josteph » November 29th, 2017, 4:20 pm

On the previous thread Lord-Knightmare suggested another option, to use an entirely different graphic: https://r.wesnoth.org/p619952
josteph

Postby beetlenaut » November 30th, 2017, 6:32 am

The Troll Warrior is actually six images because it's animated. Replacing the Great Troll with a single image would mean losing the animation. We would probably do that anyway if they sometimes appeared together (which they don't) or if the new sprite was a
significant improvement over the old one (which is debatable). I would vote against it because the sprite in the thread you linked would make a good level-4 troll, but it's too big and rich-looking to replace one of our current level 3s. If someone made a better, animated sprite, I would be for it, but in the meantime, color shifting seems like a good solution.
Campaigns: Dead Water
The Founding of Borstep
Secrets of the Ancients
beetlenaut
Developer

Postby Poison » November 30th, 2017, 10:40 am

beetlenaut wrote:The Troll Warrior is actually six images because it's animated. Replacing the Great Troll with a single image would mean losing the animation. We would probably do that anyway if they sometimes appeared together (which they don't) or if the new sprite was a
significant improvement over the old one (which is debatable). I would vote against it because the sprite in the thread you linked would make a good level-4 troll, but it's too big and rich-looking to replace one of our current level 3s. If someone made a better, animated sprite, I would be for it, but in the meantime, color shifting seems like a good solution.

You have Gruu and Warrior in SotBE IIRC which is mainline too (I think there's an add-on instance too [from the ones I've played - I think it's a vision blinded] but it's not the same ofc).
Poison

Postby josteph » November 30th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Yes, "A Vision Blinded" has Great Troll and Troll Warrior in play at the same time. That's how I ran into this :)
josteph

Return to Art Contributions