Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
josteph
Inactive Developer

Query about troll sprites

Post by josteph »

Hi,

I just wanted to point out that the unit types Great Troll and Troll Warrior have the same sprite. I didn't see this recorded on any "Missing/wanted art" list so I thought it might be helpful to post and point it out.

Keep up the good work!

(I asked on the users' forum first and was forwarded here.)
Elder2

Re: Query about troll sprites

Post by Elder2 »

Do they really? At least the great troll in SotBE had slightly changed color, it was more brown.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Hm it seems to rather be a campaign effect.

From toward mountains of haag

apply_to=image_mod
# This shifts the skin colors to be slightly more red
replace="PAL(D0CFBF,A8A8A8,747F73,616153,374336>D3BCC1,A8A8A8,817D71,635054,454133)"
[/effect]
[/object]
[/modifications]
[/unit]

So, the great troll image needs to be changed accordingly for this to have the same effect outside of the campaign great troll, it shouldn't be too hard.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

On the previous thread Lord-Knightmare suggested another option, to use an entirely different graphic: https://r.wesnoth.org/p619952
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

The Troll Warrior is actually six images because it's animated. Replacing the Great Troll with a single image would mean losing the animation. We would probably do that anyway if they sometimes appeared together (which they don't) or if the new sprite was a
significant improvement over the old one (which is debatable). I would vote against it because the sprite in the thread you linked would make a good level-4 troll, but it's too big and rich-looking to replace one of our current level 3s. If someone made a better, animated sprite, I would be for it, but in the meantime, color shifting seems like a good solution.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Poison

Post by Poison »

beetlenaut wrote:The Troll Warrior is actually six images because it's animated. Replacing the Great Troll with a single image would mean losing the animation. We would probably do that anyway if they sometimes appeared together (which they don't) or if the new sprite was a
significant improvement over the old one (which is debatable). I would vote against it because the sprite in the thread you linked would make a good level-4 troll, but it's too big and rich-looking to replace one of our current level 3s. If someone made a better, animated sprite, I would be for it, but in the meantime, color shifting seems like a good solution.
You have Gruu and Warrior in SotBE IIRC which is mainline too (I think there's an add-on instance too [from the ones I've played - I think it's a vision blinded] but it's not the same ofc).
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Yes, "A Vision Blinded" has Great Troll and Troll Warrior in play at the same time. That's how I ran into this :)