Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
GunChleoc
Translator

Logo exports

Post by GunChleoc »

This should go in viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39851, but since I can't post there...

Since we now have a new site layout, we should also update the favicon. I have created some exports of the new logo in various sizes.
wesnoth-logo16.png
wesnoth-logo16.png (840 Bytes) Viewed 4578 times
Attachments
wesnoth-logo.zip
(65.81 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Logo exports

Post by Iris »

I actually have had the original renders of sizes 16x16, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, and 1920x1920 available for ages, and in fact I used the first two for the PNG versions (declared in the document <head>s) and the first three for the Windows icon version (/favicon.ico — the format provides all three in one, there’s no point in having multiple ico files for the same icon).

The thing is that the 16x16 version is deliberately not the downscaled render from the new logo, but rather LordBob’s pixel art form the same topic. The 16x16 downscale is predictably blurry and not really great-looking.

Also, I believe I’m supposed to provide even larger versions in addition to those three, but no-one in the Web industry (especially browser vendors) seems to have a clear notion of which and how without filling the <head> with a bazillion superfluous icon declarations (all of which are ignored in favor of the very last one found by one browser in particular, cough, cough), so I just see no point for the time being — at least until someone can provide me factual proof that the icon looks bad on their browser (at least one that is not the aforementioned) in some specific use case.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

shadowm wrote:at least until someone can provide me factual proof that the icon looks bad on their browser (at least one that is not the aforementioned) in some specific use case.
Safari on iOS doesn't show any icon at all:
wesnoth.png
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

gnombat wrote:
shadowm wrote:at least until someone can provide me factual proof that the icon looks bad on their browser (at least one that is not the aforementioned) in some specific use case.
Safari on iOS doesn't show any icon at all
That one has to be the most absurd of all the browsers/platforms supported. It almost makes me want to puke with all the nonstandard crap it recommends — hence why I’ve been procrastinating on it. The lack of people able to test changes as I made them on iOS devices during development didn’t help either.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

shadowm wrote:That one has to be the most absurd of all the browsers/platforms supported. It almost makes me want to puke with all the nonstandard crap it recommends — hence why I’ve been procrastinating on it.
I think you can ignore most of that and just create a file named apple-touch-icon.png (which should be at least 180 x 180) and Safari will find it automagically.

Or you could use the code generator at realfavicongenerator.net (which also supports other platforms like Android).