Grave yard fence?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

Grave yard fence?

Post by Wussel »

I remember that I tiled the graveyard fence from "Secret of the Ancient" some years ago. Basically it follows the mainline fence macro. Since the campaign is now mainline, improving on the custom terrains might be a desired contribution?

The graveyard fence is not really an improvement, but it looks very much the same and is very flexible in use regarding shapes and forms. The only issue was that it was loosing like 1 out of 54 pixels, but I believe I fixed that discrete.

Anyway let me know and I could dig it up again.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Grave yard fence?

Post by beetlenaut »

Of course it would be nice to have a more flexible graveyard fence available for UMC, and it would likely be added to mainline if it works smoothly and there aren't any problems with transitions.

It could also be used for SotA if it looks basically the same (or at least, not worse), but there are two other important considerations:
1) The z-order of the main fence pieces and the spikes sticking up need to be different so that flying units work right, and
2) The gate needs to be preserved, and look at least as nice.

I decided to do the fence in two big pieces because I didn't want to worry about making the macros that did those two things. But, if you managed that with your fence and macros, then I don't see any reason not to use them in SotA.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi Wussel,

haven't you created an updated version for strange legacy or was it the same?
This one was really good and could improve the existing one.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

First things first:
I did not do the gate. I assume it can be done separately. But I did only do the fence.
Yes, Heindal that is what I gave you. But you did not like the fence macro and just used some graphic files.

The fence macro has some issues. There are few "*" more needed in it. No big deal. The second issue is more severe: Somehow the rotational code makes the famous (or shall I say notorious?) stacking error of Wesnoth. Therefore I did the 4 needed direction ( no S and no N) by hand and gone was the stacking error.

Basically there are are lots of tiles 1*4end, 4*3end, 4*2end(corners), 4*1end, and 4*diagonal1 and 4*diagonal2. The last 8 totally redundant (just need 2) and the first 5 only needed for complicated shapes. Basically 21 all together.

The fence macro I am using has an additional tile line on top for my city wall experiments, but I am sure we can find an old working one without it. The graveyard fence should get the unwalkable thingy if I remember right.

Maybe we should just link to the old post in Heindals thread here? That thing was perfectly in working order.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35400&start=390#p590881

The files should be fine. Maybe the tile comes later and the macro too. Basically in the picture you can see a few missing spikes. That is where the macro needs additional "*".

And the working macro, which had its own thread since I needed some inspiration:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=43300&hilit=gravey ... 15#p591385