Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dalan

Contributing to UtBS sprites

Post by Dalan »

Hello,

I wanted to give a try to creating sprites for Under the Burning Suns.
I know Jetrel is already working on this. It's just my humble contribution and I know my skills might not be up to standard yet. However, I'd like to have your feedback on this to make it as good as possible, and hopefully usable.

This is my work at this point on the Quenoth Flanker. It still lacks legs and arms (and a left shoulder). The dart bag is still flat.

I'm mainly dissatisfied with my shading skills, especially for the folds on the legs. I realise they don't look like those on the Fighter, which I took as reference, but I can't figure out why and produce really satisfactory results. I also wanted to give the dart bag a texture of woven straw, but I kind of failed, and left it as that. I'll welcome any advice on shading techniques if you have tips for me.
There might also be some perspective issues, i did my best, but please tell me if there are.

Any feedback on the overall idea of the sprite is also appreciated.
I though the Flanker line would have a very light armor to no armor at all, a sand-colored cape for camouflage, and a short saber (matching the style on Lord Bob's portraits).
I've been thinking about what the 3rd level unit (Ranger) might look like, and I though of a sand-colored headband. However, I thought this kind of conflicted with the team-colored headband of the Warrior line.
I also had the idea of adding the Ranger a very large belt (covering most of the chest). Though the unit will also grow bigger and larger, I'm not sure this is enough to differentiate the two units.
Perhaps the cloak should be removed from the Flanker and kept for the Ranger ?

Thank you for your time.
Attachments
Flanker
Flanker
Flanker.png (5.05 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
Do tell !
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Contributing to UtBS sprites

Post by doofus-01 »

Dalan wrote:This is my work at this point on the Quenoth Flanker. It still lacks legs and arms (and a left shoulder). The dart bag is still flat.
Hi Dalan,
It's difficult to really say anything at this point. Right now, it looks a bit like a wedding attendant, with a white dress and bouquet of unshaded flowers, but as you say there are many missing parts. If you get it a little further along, maybe someone can say something more helpful. Nothing wrong with thinking out loud, but I'm just saying not to wait for anything more here before you continue.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

You got a nice skin color. Seems to be hard to get the brown right, but you made it. The dress is a bit less tribal for me. Maybe the moon singer could dress like that.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Are you aware that all the Quenoth Elves have baseframes in 1.13.6? They are acknowledged to be works in progress, but I doubt they're going to be thrown out in favor of something else unless it's really good.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

beetlenaut wrote:Are you aware that all the Quenoth Elves have baseframes in 1.13.6? They are acknowledged to be works in progress, but I doubt they're going to be thrown out in favor of something else unless it's really good.
The current baseframes, aside from the Quenoth Fighter and Tauroch Rider, are just WIP frankensteins by me. They're all supposed to get replaced (well, arguably some of Mystic/Shaman/Druid/Shyde could perhaps remain with little or no changes), so I don't mind throwing them out in favour of anything that's a clear improvement.