Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
brendan_scott

Portrait requirements

Post by brendan_scott »

Hi
I'm going to try my hand at a portrait for some UMC. The post about portrait requirements (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24555) suggests 400x400px. Is this recommendation still current? Is there anything more current/other requirements I should be aware of? I know about viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21138

Thanks

Brendan
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Portrait requirements

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, it's current. The separate 205x205 versions for the help pages are no longer needed though, and I've now removed that mention from the sticky thread.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

slightly different question: is the [portrait][/portrait] blocks absolutely required in an unit's wml ? as we now got small_profile=filename.png~SCALE(205,205)

another question have is making seperate transparent version of same portrait necessary ? can just make one transparent version and use it instead ?
brendan_scott

Re: Portrait requirements - background?

Post by brendan_scott »

Not so much a requirement, but a design question - is there a background template that will show me what the portrait will look like when it's displayed? Is it just black?
ForestDragon

Re: Portrait requirements - background?

Post by ForestDragon »

brendan_scott wrote:Not so much a requirement, but a design question - is there a background template that will show me what the portrait will look like when it's displayed? Is it just black?
well, most portraits use transparent background these days, the times when the black background was ACTUALLY required are kind of behind
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
brendan_scott

Post by brendan_scott »

I'm aware that portraits have a transparent background, but they get composited onto something. That something is a background. Are the backgrounds the same each time? Are they a solid color? Is there a template?
Thanks

Brendan
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

brendan_scott wrote:I'm aware that portraits have a transparent background, but they get composited onto something. That something is a background. Are the backgrounds the same each time? Are they a solid color? Is there a template?

To see how portraits are used in Battle for Wesnoth, you can simply start any campaign in the game.
brendan_scott

Post by brendan_scott »

ooops, yes.
Got it.