Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ZygoUgo

Some portraits

Post by ZygoUgo »

dire-wolf-smaller.png
dire-wolf-smaller.png (243.06 KiB) Viewed 7537 times
Hi, I'll be doing some portraits whilst I make my campaign, some will be for core/mainline stuff, shall I post them here? Here's the one I've done for the Dire wolf, but I don't think he looks mean enough, so maybe he's a lesser sort of wolf, any way point being that I'll be doing some more.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Some portraits

Post by beetlenaut »

That's pretty good art, and I would like to see more of it! The fur in particular is very well done.

You don't have to open the mouth so wide to make it mean looking though. You just need to curl the lips into a snarl. Also, I would expect a wolf to be more shaggy. This one is really smooth so it kind of looks wet. (If you aren't interested in this kind of critical comment, then I apologize.)
Attachments
wolf-snarl-debbie-hamilton.jpg
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ZygoUgo

Post by ZygoUgo »

Critiscism welcome :) Yes for the second wolf I was going to go with a snarl and make it look bigger in general. As for the fur, I haven't been painting digitally for very long, used to using pencils, so I'll have a go at re-doing the fur so it doesn't look so wet
ZygoUgo

Post by ZygoUgo »

dire-wolf-smallerB.png
dire-wolf-smallerB.png (231.99 KiB) Viewed 7463 times
Well I'm not sure if this is better or worse, definately need to develope my painting technique, he looks a bit like a bear now, alas
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

That's not bad, but I believe more of the body needs to be shown for mainline portraits. Granted, a monster or animal like the wolf doesn't get the same cropping as a human/elf/etc., but if anything, more of the figure would be shown.

Something doesn't seem right about the lower jaw, but I'm not sure what. Maybe it is too broad.
The hair looks better though.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

doofus-01 wrote:Hi,

That's not bad, but I believe more of the body needs to be shown for mainline portraits. Granted, a monster or animal like the wolf doesn't get the same cropping as a human/elf/etc., but if anything, more of the figure would be shown.

Something doesn't seem right about the lower jaw, but I'm not sure what. Maybe it is too broad.
The hair looks better though.
I think the issue is simply the snout and muzzle not being long enough, it's a little short and stubby and could stand to be more long and pointed.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I would not care about the snout or whatever. It looks fine to me. I would like to see more of the animal and a black outline would be needed.
ZygoUgo

Post by ZygoUgo »

I'll scrap this one for now and spend the week spare time drawing out a full wolf, the teeth I made too big and it just doesn't quite look like a wolf
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

The wolf you painted looks really good. We rare have persons who can provide good quality from the very beginning of their activity in the forum. I just want to say I am eager to see more of your art.
Wolves are a bit common creatures. How about painting a portrait of some more exotic monster? A giant rat may be? Or a dragon? There was an attempt to draw a rat portrait but it failed to be committed - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38036&hilit=portra ... at#p544651
Same about a dragon - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23777&start=285#p516312
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38036&hilit=portrait+giant+rat#p544651
Looks good enough for me.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23777&start=285#p516312
That Red Dragon looks more like an actual dragon.

edit: in fact here i have some gathered animation frames for it:
Attachments
red-dragon-animations.zip
(716.76 KiB) Downloaded 538 times
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Hi and welcome, Zygo. I will wait for your next drawing before I critique. Do post it in the early stages by the way: seeing how the previous two had some anatomy problems it will be easier to revise the overall figure before you've spent a couple hours on painting fur ;)

For reference, the current portraits of the wolf rider unit line give a decent idea of how much of the figure we should be able to see. The pose can be different of course since the direwolf doesn't have a rider.

Also, committing that rat portrait is still a no. It was left unfinished with some flaws and colors are too dark for readability. I'd rather we painted a new one.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
ZygoUgo

Post by ZygoUgo »

wolfsmaller.png
Hello all, here is my initial outline for the riderless wolf, I'll be making the fur up so it really is just an outline
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Maybe LordBob will have some criticism, but in my opinion, that looks great and is already better than the previous one.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ZygoUgo

Post by ZygoUgo »

Thanks :) I'll wait see what Lordbob has to say before I dig in painting
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

It is a ton better indeed, both in anatomy and attitude. I would be tempted to make the snout and mouth longer because it's a defining feature in many wolf species. I don't guarantee it will look better, but it's worth a try.

When painting the fur, I would advise to look up some good reference and pay attention how it still reveals muscles and the key masses of the body. That's going to be the key aspect of your painting, individual hairs can be added later.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !