Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

More sigils for Wesnoth!

Post by Wussel »

Namely the:
szepter and the elvish tree.
Are there any others? Maybe the orcish eye?
Is there something for the dwarfs or trolls?
Maybe a hammer? And some other for trolls like white hand or whatever?
What about drakes, mermen and saurians?
Please post or link what you have. Highest resolution appriciated.
Last edited by Wussel on September 18th, 2016, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Looking for best quality graphics of wesnothian sigils

Post by beetlenaut »

Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Awesome! I decided the szepter should be dark red. Or is there already an official color? This version 4 is the official one? The green is really nice for the elves! The dwarvish sigils are all bad quality and unofficial?
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I made a few versions for sigils. There are 8 for elves and 12 for humen. The magic ones follow a round layout like stars, sun or flowers, but may be spirals or whatever. The petals follow the kind of magic. i decided like 8 for healing (druids,white mages), 6 for basic battle mages ( red mage), 12 for high counsil (level 4 mages).

The sigils are for orders with some kind of high master. The royal sigil is used for regular troops which answer directly to the king/boss/whatever. I decided for some basic colors by affiliation. While these orders are usually catering to specific unit types, they are still orders with a variaty of troops. The guards of a mage order will wear the sigil of that order.

Of course they come in handy for my ship project. For units they would only work with a giant flagbearer.
sigil-all.png
Please feel free to post more sigils like for all the races. Dwarfs, saurian, orcs, trolls and so on. Basically one or two, if there are shamans would do.
White_Drag0n

Re: More sigils for Wesnoth!

Post by White_Drag0n »

I love the sigils of elven airforce and navy. The pirate flag could use a skull instead of an anchor, though. :hmm:
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

elf 6 can be used for north elves as it resembles an snowflake. human-navy: not an bad idea the combined scepter and anchor like that. mage-12 could be something like emblem of mage's college on alduin. didnt like the rest much at all.
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

I sort of like the idea of having sigils be used kind of like flags tend to be used! Maybe they could be somewhere displayed next to factions and stuff...They probably ought to be magenta-ized to fit team colors too. There's something to this idea! (and I think a decent logo isn't as hard to make as actual unit graphics)
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Thanks for the kind words. I would like the idea of putting TC on the base color on which the sigil is displayed. I did save the skull for the undeads, therefore I did not use it for pirates. I did a few more for the trolls (white hand), the orc ( black eye) and mermen ( yellow trident, sea shell). I am experimenting with undead (bone color skull). Any ideas for drakes and saurians?

Here one more atempt to put more flesh to the idea of round sigils for magic orders:

Level 1-2 (basic attack spells)
3 petals: basic fire magic (shaman)
4 petals: basic life magic (shaman)
5 petals: ice magic (black adept)

Level 2-3 (better attack spells)
6 petals: fire magic (mage)
7 petals: death magic (necromancer)
8 petals: life magic (druid, mage)

Level 3-4 (additional effects at scenario level)
9 petals: elemental magic (summoner)
10 petals: advanced ice magic
11 petals: demon magic (summoner)
12 petals: advanced fire magic (grand mage, sylph, silver mage)

Level 4-5 (effects between scenarios, just story)
13 petals: Open Gateway to Hell OMG
14 petals: Sentient Undead OMG
15 petals Destroyer of Worlds OMG
16 petals: True Resurection OMG

Story would be, that the magic is kind of visual to the initiated in a way the chakra systems claims. So they have to show their true magic "color" (meaning petals) anyway.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Wussel wrote:Any ideas for drakes and saurians?
for drakes:
i think different dragon images will fit (younger dragons for less grand sigils) they can have mostly classical, and sometimes Chinese dragons too
for saurians:
similar method, but this time something like serpents/large lizards/other kinds of reptiles
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n »

I think that drake banners could have claws on them. About saurians idk, maybe a spear, or a footprint of an amphibian?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

White_Drag0n wrote:I think that drake banners could have claws on them. About saurians idk, maybe a spear, or a footprint of an amphibian?
good idea :)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Here are the next 18 sigils. 16 new and 2 changes for outlaws. We have the much desired undead pirate brandishing his skull!

The dragonhead is already obsolete, since I made a sleeker one and favor it.

I liked all the ideas. I did had issues with claws and feet. Claws get you a paw Jack Wolfskin style, if you search for it. Feet I would save for Bigfoot (Yeti?) and such. Saurian and bird feet might look similar. Spear was a bit generic to me. Why would it be specific saurian?

I came up with the idea, that a basic leader symbol could be a gem and 2 times the sigil item for primitive cultures. (See saurian)
sigil-all.png
Who else needs sigils? The Nagas are coming to my mind. I would need some input for the dwarvish hammer. Are there any sketches at all? I believe there are people invested in the dwarvish part of the story. I just do not feel comfortable to just make a hammer.

Please keep in mind that the general idea is that the sigils have somehow magic properties, used to focus magic somehow. So for ships you need them for wind magic on the sail. If you do not have wind magic, you still put a sigil to pretend.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

1. I wonder if the Desert Elves in UtBS need a sigil, perhaps something with 2 suns for Naia and Sela, or a divine symbol for priests of Eloh.
  2. Does the peasant army in Northern Rebirth need a sigil?
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

For 1: Maybe a cactus with 2 suns?
For 2: Regular Outlaw?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Wussel wrote:For 1: Maybe a cactus with 2 suns?
sounds nice :) oh, and another sigil might be something like an ankh
Wussel wrote:For 2: Regular Outlaw?
i think something like pitchforks/broken cages/birds for a rebel-ish feel ;)