New Mage graphics, and fixing of the female mage's hair.

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ahwayakchih

Post by ahwayakchih »

Jetryl wrote:I appreciate the work you did, monkey, but I think that simply giving the girls pink accents and giving the guys red accents is not the correct way to go at this
He also changed the shape of the hood on male white mage - and i think it's a nice idea.

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

:| Well, I finally committed everything. Took something like two hours to do, no less - just the commit.

That was a LOT of images.

With the new defend code, I may add in special "magical defend frames" (especially for the silver mage), but for now everything looks better than the old images anyways. If I add in such defend framez, I'll do that laterz.

fin.

Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

w00t!
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Excellent! That's a staggering number of images... Truly impressive.

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

So many campaigns use mages, it's going to make a huge difference. Thanks for all the hard work Jetryl.

Monkey

Post by Monkey »

They are great, way better than mine. I just did those long time ago and tought they might be usefull. But the white/light mages are still the same, male and female. Making the female have a long hair or one of them do not have hood makes it more realistic. Check these out:
(I think this one below is great, makes she look like the lady of the lake or something)
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Having male and female white mages only subtly different is a good thing. Too many of our female units are so different from their male counterparts you don't immediately know they are the same unit; this one is pretty good.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Monkey

Post by Monkey »

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

OH MY GOD! how are we going to know that they are from the same class? This madness HAS to stop!!!

Monkey

Post by Monkey »

On the other hand, the white mages (I'm not trying do diminish Jetryl's great art):
ImageImage

I just think that a greater problem other than not realizing that the units are from the same class, is the male and female look almost the same (except the boobs).
In medieval times priests didn't wear hoods, only the monks and the woman in church (forgot the name). I'm not using history to prove anything, this game will be the way whoever made it wants it to be, I'm just trying to find something to make the units different, I think I'm not the only one who thinks they would be better more different. If you (Jetryl) want, I can get that new white mage you made and make that different hood on the male one, on all his animations. I'll understand if you don't want.

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

As you can see, opinions on female units vary, but since there are no stat differences between men and women, I don't think it's a big deal if the player doesn't notice that the white mage is male or female. It doesn't affect the game it's purely an aesthetic difference.

Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

turin wrote:Having male and female white mages only subtly different is a good thing. Too many of our female units are so different from their male counterparts you don't immediately know they are the same unit; this one is pretty good.
Heh I always found the differences to be so unnoticeable that I considered the female unit images to be a waste of space. Case in point the Elves.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

dtw

Post by dtw »

Heh I always found the differences to be so unnoticeable that I considered the female unit images to be a waste of space. Case in point the Elves.
mmm - it would be equally fair to observe that the maybe the male units are a waste of space? is that fair?

i have a prob with the outlaw - the mask has always looked to me like a grey beard - so the female version looks like a dude with a ginger wig on :lol:

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Monkey wrote:OH MY GOD! how are we going to know that they are from the same class? This madness HAS to stop!!!
As you might notice, some of those have been fixed recently. Earlier some of them were pretty bad.

(and yes, I still think some of them are too different, like the marksman, whose pose changes).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

dibblethewrecker wrote: i have a prob with the outlaw - the mask has always looked to me like a grey beard - so the female version looks like a dude with a ginger wig on :lol:
What I consider worse is that the male outlaw hides himself behind hood and bandana while the female one let's hang out strands of hair, making it much easier to identify them. Doesn't feel right to me, that one is trying for complete obscurity and the other not.