Remake unit's graphics for coherency

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Yomar

Remake unit's graphics for coherency

Post by Yomar »

I just wrote a post of how unrealistic is having someone running fast like a horse or a griffin, I'm referring to the foodpad, what's the point of having a mount if you can run at the same speed if you are quick ?
I proposed to take off 1 Mp, but then I had this idea, why not making just an aesthetic change ?
I explain, someone can redraw the Footpad's graphics, and make him ride something, like idk a Boar ?
This would explain its speed, he can be fast like a horse but not like the faster mounts, he can retain their defense, because Boars are used to harsh terrains and evade well. (I mean, someone ever tried to catch a pig ?)
He can still keep fighting with a Club and a Sling, or the Impact damage can be replaced graphically with the Boar's charge, but this is not necessary, or they can just ride domestic Pigs, lol, would be funny.
And if you think of it, outlaws live mostly in wilderness, so they may hunt Boars not only to eat them, but also to ride them, after all Goblins ride Wolves, so why not ?
It would also add an extra fantasy touch to the game.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Gyra_Solune

Re: Remake unit's graphics for coherency

Post by Gyra_Solune »

The Footpad is decidedly slower than a horse or a griffin. 7MP is actually a little uncommon - it only shares that with level 2+ Fencers and Skirmishers, Ghosts, a handful of water units, and the Rami -> Qanas line (Rami's a weird case but Qanas is explicitly a medium-heavy mountaineering cavalry). This is generally the realm of 'exceptionally fast but lightly-armed' class of units, faster than the light infantry sorts like the Jundi or Elvish Archer, but explained on account of them carrying nothing with them. Given that the Footpad is explicitly defined as 'a person who spends all of their time running from place to place' and their armament is more of a self-defense afterthought, 7 MP is reasonable - especially since, unlike most horses or flyers, they never get any faster, staying at 7 MP even by level 3 whereas those other fast units typically get up to 9, and some end up base 10.
Yomar

Re: Remake unit's graphics for coherency

Post by Yomar »

Yes but with quick trait he gets 8 MP like a Griffin or a cavalry man without that trait.
The Tief for example is even lighter equipped (a knife vs club and sling), but is still slower).

But I liked your explanation.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟