Centaurs And Elves

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Yomar

Centaurs And Elves

Post by Yomar »

Something that I always wondered about, is why the Elven archer was never replaced graphically with an Centaur, It would make more sense, for example it would explain better his better mobility and defense in the woods and other terrains than average horses, and also his ability with bows while riding.
After all the factions have already various races as allies, so why not Centaurs for Elves ?
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Gyra_Solune

Re: Centaurs And Elves

Post by Gyra_Solune »

I'm into the idea of centaurs, but only as an entirely separate race from the elves - personally, I'd propose a race inspired by beings of Greek mythology for them to go in. Centaurs are an interesting thing, in that they're sort of a mythologized version of the actual steppe horsemen that consistently harassed frontier settlements in ancient and medieval times. We actually have those steppe archers, in the form of the Rami! Also, typical personality traits for centaurs lead them to be more aggressive and conquering, as befitting those inspired by expanding nomad hordes, whereas the elves are typically more peacable but isolationist. Plus, a great many campaigns involve elves and the Scouts make fairly frequent appearances - as such, it'd be fairly jarring and inconvenient to replace them outright with a totally different race for largely aesthetic purposes. I think the Scouts are fine as-is, especially with their recent redesign that makes them and their later levels look absolutely lovely, but centaurs as an aligned race with the Elves poses numerous problems. Look at the Rebels in the Default Era, meant to be set during or after the later campaigns in mainline, around Son of the Black-Eye and Northern Rebirth. They don't want anything to do with anyone, and their only allies are mages who have worked heavily with elves in the past and prove themselves loyal and wise, mermen who align with their agenda and personality who tend to align with anyone advantageous anyway, and woses who are mysterious tree people who are more helping the elves of their own accord. They're rather legendary in how poorly they get along with almost literally everyone else, being constantly in conflict with dwarves, always up against orcs, and repeatedly having friction with various human alliances. For centaurs as a race to be aligned with them, that would be quite suddenly inserting a very major player in the setting's politics considering the situation the elves are in.
Plact1979

Post by Plact1979 »

Yomar wrote:Something that I always wondered about phen375, is why the Elven archer was never replaced graphically with an Centaur, It would make more sense, for example it would explain better his better mobility and defense in the woods and other terrains than average horses, and also his ability with bows while riding.
After all the factions have already various races as allies, so why not Centaurs for Elves ?
maybe because Centaurs doesn't fit for Elves. Or maybe, it reach beyond the expectations for Elves. but whatever reason, the most important thing is the game works perfectly fine and we enjoyed it the way we want it.
Last edited by Plact1979 on November 2nd, 2016, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

There were a lot of attempts to create centaurs, what simple search immediately shows:

Examples:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=41198&p=582390&hil ... ur#p582390

Also the search shows that Yomar has a habit to periodically rise this very question through years, lol
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39831&p=565460&hili ... rs#p565127
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

also, doofus made a few very good centaur sprites in his unfinished addon called Tales of Setting Sun
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Aldarisvet wrote:Search shows that Yomar has a habit to periodically rise this very question through years, lol
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39831&p=565460&hili ... rs#p565127
Well, he did say it's something he's always wondered.