Working on various human sprites!

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
GoatGoat

Re: Working on various human sprites!

Post by GoatGoat »

These look pretty interesting. The hair's a bit much at times, but I'm interested in seeing what else you can make.
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Why thank you! Yeah I admittedly started off silly, hence me trying to find the right balance with what I want to portray here. Might as well share what I have been working on: still severely a WIP, but have the starting point for a north-facing thug!
thug-n.png
thug-n.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
Very rough at the moment but it's getting there, considering I started from scratch. Need to reposition things of course, but the base to detail on is taking shape.

Given the statement on poacher being likely to have a redesign, I slightly worry the same might be for this unit? Even though as far as I can recall it was given a bit of a makeover fairly recently-ish. I would certainly hope nothing too drastic is in the works ^^;
GoatGoat

Post by GoatGoat »

Oh yeah, I can see how balancing would be a problem. I can't recall a makeover for the thug though, maybe someone else knows?

And hair's pretty tricky, though I'm not an artist so I wouldn't be of too much help. I noticed that with most female unit sprites, they tend to be about one or two pixels thinner on the width dimension, so that's one way to help distinguish between genders.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Gyra_Solune wrote:Given the statement on poacher being likely to have a redesign, I slightly worry the same might be for this unit? Even though as far as I can recall it was given a bit of a makeover fairly recently-ish. I would certainly hope nothing too drastic is in the works ^^;
I don't want to mislead, so just in case that came from me (maybe I missed something), I should clarify that I have no inside knowledge of a secret poacher refurb project. But if you compare the sprites, and the quality & frame number (~3) of the animations, you see they are older style. There have also been proposed sprite revisions, though I don't have a link now. The thug has the exaggerated, big-swoosh, 8-frame attack, so different story.

I'm a little confused about what all Jetrel is asking for, but it sounds Thug line is safe to work on.
------------------
EDIT:This is relevant to poacher sprites:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 25#p572725

Here is another (not so bad, in my amateur opinion) attempted revision:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... er#p560677

And here is a post with revised Footpads. This long, kind of old, thread is a good one to review in any case:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 64#p367064
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Yeah, I've seen a few propositions for Poacher related stuff - it's clear that revisions are, if not planned strictly, at least highly commented on. I guess I presumed things might be amiss for the Thug because they share the same yellow olive tunic and that's somehow a mark of old-fashionedness or something, heheh. But yeah, it is recently that the line was given its trademark giant biceps and I think they look decently good overall. I'll just focus on this line for now then.