Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ghype

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by ghype »

the new desert elves are very enjoyable, especially visually.

but i was wondering if there are any visual upgrades planned for the quenoth youth.
I could imagen that if you take:
- blade amla kaleh's sword gets visually bigger/better/shaper.
- bow amla (if there is any) same as above. bigger bow etc.
- leadership/skirmish amla kahle get a slight visual armor upgrade such as a cape or sholder pieces or whatever
- bola amla the sprite has a tiny bola hanging somewhere (allthough this is a tricky option)

for the first 2 suggestiong the start bow/blade would have to be much smaller, especially the bow but i got an example on how it could look like.
kaleh.gif
kaleh.gif (5.58 KiB) Viewed 11786 times
the default kaleh is in the second frame. frame one shows him with a smaller blade which would makes more sense with my suggestions.

if devs like this idea i would be willing to transfer this concept to any following animation. It is sad to see all the new units have such great sprites but the main heroes always stick to the same armor/weaponry.

Note: same could be done with Nym and any other hero with the same way of advancing and i woudl be willing to finish the concept on them too.
Note: this is a repost, from a different thread. posted it wrong place at first.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Ideally, the youth would have different sprites at each level like Konrad or any other hero. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but we're short on artists at the moment. If you want to do something helpful, no Quenoth has an attack animation yet, and some don't have any animations at all. That's a lot more important than equipment details on the heroes. (I'm not an art dev though, so my word is not official.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ghype

Post by ghype »

EDIT: both gif and zip are fixed

i was not aware of that. i thought they were WIP but not yet uploaded.

never did animation before but i was confident enough to try a simple one, the defense animation of the flanker lv2
is that good tho?
anim_fanker-defense.gif
anim_fanker-defense.gif (5.5 KiB) Viewed 11726 times
here are the two frames:
anim_flanker-defense.zip
(21.14 KiB) Downloaded 687 times
Last edited by ghype on April 21st, 2018, 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Here is an animation i made for the Mal Ravanal lich: (is this good enough to be considered for mainline or do you think it still needs some work)
ravanal.gif
ravanal.gif (12.56 KiB) Viewed 11741 times
@ Ghype - That looks really good! :D The only thing i notice is a strange line next to the feet towards the end of the animation
Last edited by The_Gnat on April 22nd, 2018, 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
ghype

Post by ghype »

thanks for noticing. there were actually pixel missing in the shadow. the updated one should clean now
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

ghype wrote: April 21st, 2018, 9:01 pm never did animation before but i was confident enough to try a simple one, the defense animation of the flanker lv2
is that good tho?
Hello ghype,
That's not bad. :) The reason that fellow and his other level have no animations is because there was some objection that they didn't look "martial" enough, so I planned to edit them someday soon. Maybe it's best not to animate them for now, unless you are cool with making place-holders.

It looked like the corrupted elf was still the placeholder, this is what I've got for a replacement:
corrupted-elf.png
corrupted-elf.png (3.49 KiB) Viewed 11708 times
It might need a couple tweaks, but I think it's basically the right idea. It's probably close enough for some simple defense and magic missile attack animations.
----------------------------------------------------------
Going back to an earlier subject, these are my WIP for the youths. I started out trying to give Nym the hat as in the portrait, but I wasn't getting it right (couldn't shake the Keebler Elf feeling) and the talk about hair color made me think it wasn't even expected anyway.
youth_WIP.png
youth_WIP.png (20.46 KiB) Viewed 11708 times
(BTW This thread https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=15 has a few images of the "new" elf sprites that may replace the current images some day(?), which make me uncomfortable with the current quenoth youths, even if they aren't really frankensteins.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I like the sprites, but I think it'd be nice if Nym were holding her bow. Besides that, they look ready. :)

And yes, those sprites you linked are part of Jetrel's long-term project to redo the elves. See here.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Which of the Quenoth sprites are going to be kept and which are merely placeholders?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

doofus-01 wrote: April 21st, 2018, 11:48 pm these are my WIP for the youths.
I think those would make great level-1 sprites with the current ones representing higher levels. (I like the current ones, too, but they are harder to read than these.) I do feel like Kaleh's nearer arm is a bit too long.
ghype wrote: April 21st, 2018, 9:01 pm i thought they were WIP but not yet uploaded.
I never said they weren't, I was just looking at what we have.
ghype wrote: April 21st, 2018, 9:01 pm is that good tho?
Not a bad first attempt, but it needs work. I think you needed to redraw more of the sprite than you did. It's mostly just cut and slide, which makes the movement look stiff, and also his head gets thinner in the middle.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Would you art folks be interested in adding a melee animation for the Sylph. The new image looks great but animations are always better than nothing.
Attachments
hierophant-melee.png
hierophant-melee.png (7.19 KiB) Viewed 11603 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

vultraz wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 5:57 am I like the sprites, but I think it'd be nice if Nym were holding her bow. Besides that, they look ready. :)

And yes, those sprites you linked are part of Jetrel's long-term project to redo the elves. See here.
Thanks, I've created a PR for these: #2951. I don't like the idea of her double-fisting her weapons, from the ranger in the image you linked, I gather Jetrel is moving away from that as well. But it does make sense for there to be a bow version as well as a sword version.
beetlenaut wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 1:06 am I think those would make great level-1 sprites with the current ones representing higher levels.
I think that would look a bit off, just because of different styles. It shouldn't be hard to modify the level-1, once they are finalized.
(As an aside: it's not like the current sprites will go down the memory hole, they will still be a resource.)
The_Gnat wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 1:28 am Would you art folks be interested in adding a melee animation for the Sylph. The new image looks great but animations are always better than nothing.
Possibly, but this thread is for campaign sprites, not all mainline sprites. You could start a new thread, if there isn't an obvious one to add to. I'm not sure what the plan is for the new Sylph animations.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

doofus-01 wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 3:05 am Possibly, but this thread is for campaign sprites, not all mainline sprites. You could start a new thread, if there isn't an obvious one to add to. I'm not sure what the plan is for the new Sylph animations.
True :) , (if a moderator could delete my previous post that would be great) I have created it in the correct topic.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've got a few bow frames for Kaleh and the image requested in #2962
(I'm posting here rather than a PR because I've lost patience with git and 1.14 branch, at least for now.)
EDIT: Actually, I think I've got a handle on it, never mind. PR:#2976

One issue I see with "dead kaleh" as an item is that he gets color-shifted differently than the other units. Maybe that can be fixed with WML, rather than compensating with the image colors?
j16940.png
j16940.png (116.14 KiB) Viewed 11396 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Yes, we can easily apply red team coloring via WML.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ah, I forgot about that. What I meant was the dark, blue, time-of-day shift.