Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I can't tell if some of those top sprites are supposed to be Nym or if they're all Kaleh. For Nym I do prefer long hair (and thus prefer Jetrel's sprite at least for the head), plus I think it would be cool if her hair were a different colour (red maybe?), though obviously that would have to be coordinated with LordBob (unless he already drew Nym, I don't remember).
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Sur_191 wrote: February 22nd, 2018, 8:20 pm I have found these Jevyan and Mal-Ravanal sprites, mady by Sleepwalker, in this thread. Anyone knows why they weren't mainlined?
These sprites actually are in mainline in the campaigns The South Guard and The Rise of Wesnoth! :D
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote: April 15th, 2018, 5:46 am The new Kaleh and Nym for Under the Burning Suns are still a Work In Progress, but from what I've seen of the portraits, I think these sprites could fit. I like the upper Kaleh better, but he may be too brawny. The guy in white in the NW corner is the sprite Jetrel made for the Quenoth fighter, before I got my filthy paws on it. I based Kaleh off of Jetrel's fighter. Both need some touch-up, but I wanted to see what others thought.
I'm not sure which issues you're attempting to address with this redo. I mean, in Kwandulin's version there's for sure room for improvement (waist, arms, head/hair?), but it's otherwise a good, solid sprite with tons of nice little clothing detail.

As for Nym, it's really hard to top the current sprite, and I'd imagine I'm not the only one who thinks it's really good. The only "problem" I see, if one can call it that, is that the only blonde happens to conveniently be the female co-lead, but it's debatable whether that's even a minor problem, and it's entirely possible that the sprite would work with a switched hair palette anyway.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

zookeeper wrote: April 15th, 2018, 4:30 pmThe only "problem" I see, if one can call it that, is that the only blonde happens to conveniently be the female co-lead
This bothers me as well. She can have a different colored hair than the others, but the current platinum blonde doesn't seem to fit. I second the idea of switching the palette.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

It's probably obvious from my previous post, but I too support changing her hair colour, with a preference for red.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote: April 15th, 2018, 4:30 pm I'm not sure which issues you're attempting to address with this redo. I mean, in Kwandulin's version there's for sure room for improvement (waist, arms, head/hair?), but it's otherwise a good, solid sprite with tons of nice little clothing detail.

As for Nym, it's really hard to top the current sprite, and I'd imagine I'm not the only one who thinks it's really good. The only "problem" I see, if one can call it that, is that the only blonde happens to conveniently be the female co-lead, but it's debatable whether that's even a minor problem, and it's entirely possible that the sprite would work with a switched hair palette anyway.
I'm a bit baffled, but I do get the message. I'll let things be.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I'm even more baffled at the removal of the sprites from your previous post in response to one person's disapproval.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I really don't understand. Was the point of the redo to get all the sprites be in the same style?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Though perhaps unwanted, I will throw in my opinion of the matter: ;)
doofus-01 wrote: April 15th, 2018, 5:46 am The new Kaleh and Nym for Under the Burning Suns are still a Work In Progress
I personally do see that Nym's sprite could use a little improvement. I wouldn't say it warranted a full remake but I would support Doofus-01 at least attempting to improve it, especially if he wants to do so.
zookeeper wrote: April 15th, 2018, 4:30 pm I'm not sure which issues you're attempting to address with this redo. I mean, in Kwandulin's version there's for sure room for improvement (waist, arms, head/hair?), but it's otherwise a good, solid sprite with tons of nice little clothing detail.
However, I can understand this response. zookeeper merely said his opinion (nothing is wrong with that). He doesn't think it should be remade because he believes that the sprite already is good.

This is merely a difference of opinion. On one hand I am sure that many people like the current sprite. On the other hand I am sure many people would support doofus-01 trying to improve it.

But since this is a community, he should at least be given a chance and fair opportunity to make a improved version of the sprite. I sympathize with doofus-01's reaction, if one of the developers says
zookeeper wrote: April 15th, 2018, 4:30 pm it's really hard to top the current sprite,
Then of course doofus-01 doesn't want to waste his time on something that isn't going to be accepted into mainline...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Anything that's an improvement gets to go in, I merely did not understand the motivation behind starting a redo of Kaleh and Nym, as it's not even been discussed before (as far as I recall, anyway). Of course it's hard to top the current sprites because they're really good, that's not an insult towards anyone who tries to do it.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

zookeeper wrote: April 16th, 2018, 9:56 am Anything that's an improvement gets to go in, I merely did not understand the motivation behind starting a redo of Kaleh and Nym, as it's not even been discussed before (as far as I recall, anyway). Of course it's hard to top the current sprites because they're really good, that's not an insult towards anyone who tries to do it.
I agree, all the new artwork which has been made for UtBS (including the portraits) has turned out awesome. 8) The campaign has really been improved!
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Having played UtBS only 2 days ago, i support The_Gnat's opinion. While the sprites of both Kaleh and Nym are really well made, if someone attempts to improve them,i believe they should be given the chance. Kaleh's sprite is perfect in my eyes, but Nym's could be improved (eg her hair colour should be changed to something other than blonde.) Also, both of them are carrying their weapons in the same way, perhaps Nym could carry hers differently? The clothing on the sprites is superb tho, don't think that can be topped.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

As an aside, it seems to me that Nym is kind of a blank slate at the moment since LordBob has not posted anything about her yet. It’s equally possible he has specific plans for her, so it would probably be best to wait for his drawing or consult with him.

I do have to point out that she won’t be the first blonde desert elf if she keeps her current hair, though, although the sprite’s palette may use some tweaks.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 16th, 2018, 3:05 am I'm even more baffled at the removal of the sprites from your previous post in response to one person's disapproval.
I didn't want to leave WIP crap that was never going to be updated just hanging. I understood zookeeper's response to mean that the campaign maintainer (I think he's the maintainer, is that wrong?) found this effort to be unwelcome.
zookeeper wrote: April 16th, 2018, 7:24 am I really don't understand. Was the point of the redo to get all the sprites be in the same style?
That's part of it, I guess, but not all. The wood elf sprites Kwandulin used as a basis seem to have never been used in mainline, so maybe there's one less issue than I was thinking there was. The Kaleh sprite does have a lot of nice details (possibly too many), I probably wouldn't have thought to try anything, if it weren't with the Nym sprite. If my dislike of that one is not widely shared, there's no strong need to change anything, or rather just recolor the hair.
shadowm wrote: April 16th, 2018, 10:35 am As an aside, it seems to me that Nym is kind of a blank slate at the moment since LordBob has not posted anything about her yet. It’s equally possible he has specific plans for her, so it would probably be best to wait for his drawing or consult with him.
I have consulted him, I try to keep the sprite in line with his designs. But it's all a rolling work in progress, and it will be hard for folks to judge until he posts or submits his work.

In any case, time will tell if this goes anywhere. Maybe I'll have a new Nym sprite in a week.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi i was wondering if their are any plans for animating the Ravanal lich sprite in Eastern Invasion.

If there aren't I have animated a slight variant for my era which could work well for the unit. :)

Of course my art is not near the quality of doofus-01 or Kwandulin, but if there are no current plans I will post my sprites. They are definitely better than nothing. :)