Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by doofus-01 »

Eh, I don't agree. The tentacle, as Vyncyn drew it, seems kind of pointless. If it's bigger, it's like a bull-whip weapon. If it's just a hand replacement on a fly-swatted sprite, it's loses its purpose. That's my opinion, at least.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Well, don't forget the concept of the unit itself (having a tentacle as a hand replacement, although making it lose it's purpose, adds some extra 'f-ed up'-ness, which fits the unit's concept.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:Making the head smaller is all that's needed? How's this?
Better, I think. Although it could still be a notch smaller, I think.

Also, I'd really skip the tentacle. Having one arm replaced with a tentacle of all things just starts to border on comically arbitrary, I think. If you want something different for the arms, then maybe they, or one of them, could just be long and hanging. At least to me, that way it even looks stronger and more prone to start throwing those fists around.

The green belly mostly looks like it's clothing. It's vibrant green, and belongs to a mammal, and the shape is exactly what you'd expect. I'd suggest just making it the same skin colour as the rest. However, it would probably be a good idea to make the different major skin segments each have a slightly different tone.

All three suggestions roughly drafted:
Attachments
flesh_golem_hanging_arms.png
flesh_golem_hanging_arms.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 5504 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Looks a lot better now! personally, I think the version on the left looks better.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

It would be nice if the fleshgolem had TC aswell.

The new versions look good, especially the left one. With the small head they look more and more like an ogre though.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Vyncyn wrote: With the small head they look more and more like an ogre though.
Yeah...
zookeeper wrote:Also, I'd really skip the tentacle. Having one arm replaced with a tentacle of all things just starts to border on comically arbitrary, I think.
This is the same campaign that has that dawarf thing, but point taken.

This is a revision that looks more like a man, I think it was starting to look a little too much like a shaved yeti-ogre. I'm not sure the old head wasn't better. (I am sure I've spent too much time on this.)
Attachments
flesh-golem3.png
flesh-golem3.png (4.19 KiB) Viewed 5375 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Vyncyn wrote:With the small head they look more and more like an ogre though.
better not give it yellow-tinted skin then!

FWIW, out of all the versions posted so far, I think zookeeper's edit with the uneven arm lengths looks best. It really drives home the point that this is a patchwork monster.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sapient wrote: I think zookeeper's edit with the uneven arm lengths looks best. It really drives home the point that this is a patchwork monster.
Yeah, the asymmetry is pretty effective. My last post was a bit too WIP, but this is my last attempt:
flesh-golem3.png
flesh-golem3.png (4.89 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
I realize this gets pedantic after a while, and I don't want to be a princess, but if I'm going to animate this, I have to agree with the base sprite. If anyone is itching to get this done, don't let me get in the way; I'm not claiming this, feel free to have at it.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Well, I do think it's actually very good now.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Yeah, that's great! I realize that it was a lot of work, but I think it paid off in the end. I do think the palette on his right hand (and left foot) is too yellow though, making it look like he's wearing a glove. Why don't you use the skin tones of the Quenoth elves there?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, guys. I've recolored it somewhat (the too-yellow was from an orc sprite). I stuck with the three-frame attack, one-frame defend, but gave it a second attack anim for left/right fist alternating swings. These aren't sexy-smooth professional animations, but I think they work well enough for an ancillary unit. At least that's my opinion.
golem.tar.gz
(35.98 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
This is the animation WML I used to test these images:
WML

Code: Select all

[attack_anim]  
        [filter_attack]
            name=smashing frenzy
        [/filter_attack]
        start_time=-250 
        offset=0.0:100,0.0~0.6:100,0.6~0.0:175
        swoosh_start_time=0
        swoosh_offset=0.6:100,0.0:1
        [if]
            value_second=2,4,6,8,10,12
                [frame]
                    image="units/monsters/flesh-golem-attack-b[1~3,1].png:[80,80,100,150]"
                [/frame]
                [swoosh_frame]
                    image="misc/blank-hex.png:1, units/monsters/flesh-golem-swoosh-b.png:100, misc/blank-hex.png:1"
                    auto_vflip=no
                    layer=41
                [/swoosh_frame]
        [/if]
        [else]
                [frame]
                    image="units/monsters/flesh-golem-attack-[1~3,1].png:[80,80,100,150]"
                [/frame]
                [swoosh_frame]
                    image="misc/blank-hex.png:1, units/monsters/flesh-golem-swoosh.png:100, misc/blank-hex.png:1"
                    auto_vflip=no
                    layer=41
                [/swoosh_frame]
        [/else]
        {SOUND:HIT_AND_MISS fist.ogg {SOUND_LIST:MISS} -100}
    [/attack_anim]
This attack image is a pretty quick edit, and could be better, but I still think it's an improvement over the recolored troll fist.
Attachments
fist-golem.png
fist-golem.png (7.75 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sudipta wrote:Bluntly speaking the current lv 4 one looks like a transgender prost. :annoyed: Not a good piece of work. it needs a lot of adjustments to meet the quality standards. And the legs are definitely weird. I'd suggest a new sketch for the lv4 since this standing posture doesn't go well with their skin complexion plus the wings just make it gross looking. Nor does it have the powerful feel that a lv 4 unit is supposed to give off. Just my 2 cents. May sound harsh but that's what seems to be the issue in my eyes.
Just my 2 cents, but that's a very discouraging and unhelpful post. As a general rule, try to find something positive to soften the blow, if you have something negative to say. Remember that Kwandulin is a volunteer. We don't need to fluff volunteers with false praise, but we shouldn't insult them either, and pretend that our insults are valuable feedback.

All that said, what is the status of these? I was testing the flesh golem in the first scenario and was confronted with the Quenoth elves... Is anyone still working on them, and are we committed to having Nym have flowing blond hair? What sort of time-line is being hoped for with these?
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

doofus-01 wrote:Just my 2 cents, but that's a very discouraging and unhelpful post. As a general rule, try to find something positive to soften the blow, if you have something negative to say. Remember that Kwandulin is a volunteer. We don't need to fluff volunteers with false praise, but we shouldn't insult them either, and pretend that our insults are valuable feedback.
I apologize if i have given offense. I hardly think of my posts as valuable feedback since i know next to nothing about art, which is why i mostly stay away from art forums since i know i don't have the right to judge the works of others who are definitely better artists than me. Kwandulin is one of my favorite people in the forums and i like his campaigns and unique style of artwork. It's just that this is a part of mainline Wesnoth, and mainline has a long standing tradition of stunning artwork all around. Most of the new quenoth units are really good quality in my eyes, but that lv 4 seemed sub-par.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Umm, can i suggest an unique sprite to be made for Moremirmu, the cleric you can encounter in HttT that is using an arcane sword attack. Id imagine he would probably use the same base sprite as the default white mage/mage of light with modifications like displaying the sword, an different head without cowl that is closer to his portrait, and probably an armor chestpiece or displaying some armor parts under the robes, such as chain or scale mail rendering him to look more like an battle ready monk.

Re: Flesh Golem
This creature is stitched together from different fleshern parts of several humanoids and monstrous creatures even, so try making those parts where they connect look more bloody and less chain-like.
My complaint would be that it doesnt look scary enough in general at the moment. The vibe im picking up looking at it feels more like an friendly unintelligent undead servant of an evil mage rather than an killer monster.
I do also think it would make sense if had few visual variations similar to the wolf pelt colorings, so you dont necessarily have to trash the tentacle variant.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:Thanks, guys. I've recolored it somewhat (the too-yellow was from an orc sprite). I stuck with the three-frame attack, one-frame defend, but gave it a second attack anim for left/right fist alternating swings. These aren't sexy-smooth professional animations, but I think they work well enough for an ancillary unit. At least that's my opinion.
Cool, it's in now.
doofus-01 wrote:One (of many) project(s) that I neglected was finishing the princess animations.
Almost forgot about this one, so it's now in too.
doofus-01 wrote:All that said, what is the status of these? I was testing the flesh golem in the first scenario and was confronted with the Quenoth elves... Is anyone still working on them, and are we committed to having Nym have flowing blond hair? What sort of time-line is being hoped for with these?
I think Kwandulin's latest ones are good, I mostly ended up waiting to see if he wants to iterate on them based on Zerovirus's feedback. Your own tweaks to the lvl2 Sun Singer look good to me, too.

Anyway, there's no set release date for 1.13.9 so that's another reason I haven't been in a hurry to put them in ASAP.