Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by beetlenaut »

I agree that it should have stitches, and maybe mismatched body parts. Here's another opinion that might matter:
Jetrel wrote:flesh golem seems like a really f-ed up interpretation of this unit graphic to me. It looks like a slightly lizardish/chameleonish head, on an anthropomorphic body. Honestly if someone's doing a flesh golem I basically picture a clothes-less version of the frankenstein monster (in flesh colors, since frankensteins being green is also stupid and is just an import from [censored] old horror movies).
Also, why would the builder bother with a big head? (Or any head for that matter?) It doesn't help you break things, and golems don't need to think.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

They don't need to think, but they do need to see, smell and / or hear something. Sense of touch only would make them very limited in moving around.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I second frankenstein as a good example of a flesh golem.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

GunChleoc wrote:They don't need to think, but they do need to see, smell and / or hear something. Sense of touch only would make them very limited in moving around.
Could make them more creepy though, if they lack a sense of vision. Hardly any eyes but high sense of smell, like some kind of Molerat.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Personally i believe that the sprite is really good :D but it does not look quite powerful enough to be such a unit that has berserk. The previous flesh golem looked more angry perhaps an angered face would make this unit more intimidating. :D
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Vyncyn wrote:Could make them more creepy though, if they lack a sense of vision. Hardly any eyes but high sense of smell, like some kind of Molerat.
Well, the sprite doofus-01 posted already lacks eyeballs.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It looks very round, soft, friendly and kind of intended-to-be-cuddly ogre or human (except for the head), instead of a grotesque construction stitched together from body parts.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I didn't realize "flesh golem" was a thing (even has its own tvtropes entry), so I had been thinking vaguely of the mythical Jewish golem, and the unit isn't undead, so...
Anyhow, I've revised it:
flesh-golem2.png
flesh-golem2.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Stitches will be too small a detail, I think. Staples are easier to see, and should work about as well.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The head is gargantuan. It's about the size of a yeti's head, and about 3x the size of an ogre's head. You could always say/think that it is an actual shaved and pigment-adjusted yeti's head or something, but at least to me the human features, skin colour and the general body style, shape and proportions heavily suggest a Master Blaster -type giant manbaby on steroids (except even bigger). Then it also has that anguished expression and empty eyesockets, making it even creepier. :augh:

P.S. The gryphon WC variations are in now. I fixed the colour discrepancy on the Soulless frames, too.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote:The head is gargantuan. It's about the size of a yeti's head, and about 3x the size of an ogre's head. You could always say/think that it is an actual shaved and pigment-adjusted yeti's head or something, but at least to me the human features, skin colour and the general body style, shape and proportions heavily suggest a Master Blaster -type giant manbaby on steroids (except even bigger). Then it also has that anguished expression and empty eyesockets, making it even creepier. :augh:
Yeah, I guess I was kind of thinking of something like that... (I'm not thrilled about a weight-lifting necrophage). Making the head smaller is all that's needed? How's this?
flesh-golem3.png
flesh-golem3.png (4.52 KiB) Viewed 4099 times
BTW, looking at the scenario text (should have done this originally), this doesn't quite fit, but it could without too much of a change to the text:
08_Out_of_the_Frying_Pan.cfg line 1972 wrote: In the center of this circle is a huge creature, with surging muscles and bloodshot eyes. I would think it was just a very big man, except for the fine stitches that cover its entire body. In fact it seems to be composed of many body parts all sewn together. It seems to be floating asleep in the center of the glowing magical circle. I could scratch out part of the circle and break it, but I have no idea what the consequences would be. I’m not sure I want something with that kind of strength attacking me.
Not just stitches, but fine stitches.

EDIT: What about adding non-human parts, as long as they are "impact", such as a tentacle?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

His facial expression is weird now. Looks more to me, like he's crying rather than the horrific expression he had before. I'm also not a huge fan of the green belly, otherwise it looks fantastic.
doofus-01 wrote:EDIT: What about adding non-human parts, as long as they are "impact", such as a tentacle?
It's a good idea, but I wonder how you can fit extra limbs in the image. Or will you replace one of his arms?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Vyncyn wrote:It's a good idea, but I wonder how you can fit extra limbs in the image. Or will you replace one of his arms?
Well, I think additional arms could be stiched to his back, or shoulders.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Replacing a hand, that's what I was thinking.
Attachments
flesh-golem3.png
flesh-golem3.png (5.01 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

I think the tentacle should hang down (kind of like a whip). Btw, I think it would be nice if the green stomach was more scaly, and maybe a bit paler.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

ForestDragon wrote:I think the tentacle should hang down (kind of like a whip)
Agreed. I find it hard to recognice as tentacle on the first look.

I made an edit myself. Shading isn't great yet, but it's what I would have in mind proportions wise
Attachments
fleshgolem.png
fleshgolem.png (2.11 KiB) Viewed 4007 times