Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by zookeeper »

Although almost no core mainline units are in need of new sprites, there's plenty of campaign units which are desperately in need of higher-quality sprites and/or animations. Here's a list of our current needs, separate into two categories; those which need an update to both their base sprites and animations (might include filling in some currently missing animations) and those which only need to be animated.

Sprites and animations:

Heir to the Throne: Needs better sprites for Li'sar. Status: sprites and most animations done, needs scepter variations and Princess attack animation.

The Hammer of Thursagan: Needs better sprites for the Witness line. Status: done.

The Rise of Wesnoth: Needs better sprites for Haldric and Jessene.

The South Guard: Needs better sprites for Deoran.

Under the Burning Suns (elves excluded; they're being worked on): Needs better sprites for Human Commander, Crab Man, Dawarf, and Spider Lich. Status: new sprites for Crab Man (now Monster Crab) done along with attack and defense animations. New sprites for Human Commander and Spider Lich done, no animations.

Animations only:

Delfador's Memoirs: Needs animations for the Wose Shaman.

Eastern Invasion: Needs animations for Owaec.

Liberty: Needs animations for the Rogue Mage line. Status: defense animations done, attack animations done for Rogue Mage.

Sceptre of Fire: Needs animations for Dwarvish Miner. Status: defense and attack animations done.

Son of the Black-Eye: Needs animations for Orcish Shamans. Status: defense and ranged attack animations done.
Dugi

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by Dugi »

Liberty: Needs animations for the Rogue Mage line.
Remember this old topic from 2 years ago where I complained about animated sprites being replaced by non-animated sprites? Many told me that animations were going to be added, that it was only a temporary issue, but I thought them wrong. I see. Temporary issue. I am looking forward to see someone prove me wrong.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Dugi wrote:Remember this old topic from 2 years ago where I complained about animated sprites being replaced by non-animated sprites? Many told me that animations were going to be added, that it was only a temporary issue, but I thought them wrong. I see. Temporary issue. I am looking forward to see someone prove me wrong.
Well of course you won't be proven wrong when clearly your prediction was correct. However, I'd rather keep this tangent on the original thread which I've now unlocked. It's not a discussion I wish to personally partake in in public due to various reasons.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I am sorry for the offtopic, but I've read the thread which was specified by Dugi and I got a lot of fun.
Do you guys know that autocratic societies badly need means of PR and mass propaganda to wash the brain of newcomers, make them enthusiactic etc, so they would become volunteers and do some unpaid work?
I was born in USSR, I know what I am speaking about :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moreover, I myself had many-years experience in some roleplay community (not online but offline) that is arranged very similar to Wesnoth and largely used work of newcomers (but old ones were doing still huge part of work). Some advertisements that Wesnoth needs these and these things to be done will not work, I think.
Dugi became right because wesnoth authorities neglected ways of PR and work with potential volunteers :eng:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Aldarisvet on December 17th, 2015, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Huh, to be honest I kind of liked the previous Rogue Mage sprites from 1.10. The new ones look...off, somehow, almost...oil pastel-ish? Definitely in a different-looking quality from the rest of Wesnoth, whereas the 1.10 ones look a-okay...though I can see if the problem was 'they don't look a lot like mages', it's true they look almost more like outlaw skirmishers than anything. Unless the animated ones you speak of were the even older ones, the blue cloaked guys.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Gyra_Solune wrote:Huh, to be honest I kind of liked the previous Rogue Mage sprites from 1.10. The new ones look...off, somehow, almost...oil pastel-ish? Definitely in a different-looking quality from the rest of Wesnoth, whereas the 1.10 ones look a-okay...
I agree with this. When I look on the Shadow Lord, I can not stop myself from thinking about Karl Marx.
And probably Shadow Mage is Friedrich Engels then :lol:
Anyway, they have nothing common with Helicrom portrait.

If anyone cares, I can suggest my Shadow Mages (recolored sprites of Mage and Silver Mage with swords) that I made for my campaign, they have full animations and can be found in Art Workshop. Well, in my avatar is that you can call Shadow Lord.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Under the Burning Suns (elves excluded; they're being worked on): Needs better sprites for Human Commander, Crab Man, Dawarf, Naga Hunter, Naga Guardian line and Dread Lich.
In the UMC Era of Chaos, I saw some pretty good sprites for the Naga Guardian line and the Naga Hunter. Maybe those could be used?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
Under the Burning Suns (elves excluded; they're being worked on): Needs better sprites for Human Commander, Crab Man, Dawarf, Naga Hunter, Naga Guardian line and Dread Lich.
In the UMC Era of Chaos, I saw some pretty good sprites for the Naga Guardian line and the Naga Hunter. Maybe those could be used?
I think that it would be much better if we will use links to Wesnoth units database to make clear what is in need to be upgraded and what is suggested instead.
For example here are Nagas from UBTS
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline/ ... html#Nagas

And here are Era of Chaos
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/Era_of_Ch ... Chaos.html

Indeed in an Orc fraction we can see a good Naga Hunter and in Wild Humans faction we can see a good Naga Guardian Line.
zookeeper wrote: The South Guard: Needs better sprites for Deoran.
As I can see, Deoran sprites are no more than old sprites ( Wesnoth 1.4 Version) of Horseman and Knight with addition of the flag on the peak.
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline/ ... Guard.html
Probably some frankenstain work with current Horsemans (mainly adding a flag) would be enough, or something original is needed?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

True, those Naga Hunter and Naga Guardian line sprites are perfectly good. I've now replaced the current sprites with them and moved those units to the "animations only" list.

Does anyone happen to know who originally made these new Naga Guardian line sprites? They're used in several add-ons but nowhere are they directly credited, and even extensive searching on the forums didn't uncover anything.
Aldarisvet wrote:
zookeeper wrote: The South Guard: Needs better sprites for Deoran.
As I can see, Deoran sprites are no more than old sprites ( Wesnoth 1.4 Version) of Horseman and Knight with addition of the flag on the peak.
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline/ ... Guard.html
Probably some frankenstain work with current Horsemans (mainly adding a flag) would be enough, or something original is needed?
No, frankensteins based on the mainline Horseman line are just fine. Keeping helmet visor open, flag on the lance, maybe a red-and-white tabard like in the portrait... that sort of thing. The Grand Knight sprite maybe has a bit too much ornamentation, but it's not a huge issue.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

zookeeper wrote: ... and moved those units to the "animations only" list.
Why so?
Dont they have animations in Chaos Era?
I can see full animations for Hunter, Guardian, Warden and Sentinel there. I've just downloaded that era.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

zookeeper wrote:True, those Naga Hunter and Naga Guardian line sprites are perfectly good. I've now replaced the current sprites with them and moved those units to the "animations only" list.

Does anyone happen to know who originally made these new Naga Guardian line sprites? They're used in several add-ons but nowhere are they directly credited, and even extensive searching on the forums didn't uncover anything.
In the credits.txt from Era of Chaos it mentions this:

Code: Select all

-Factions-

Wild Humans:

-Casual User
-mystic x the unknown
-bumbadadabum

Orcs:

-doofus-01
-Sleepwalker
-thespaceinvader
Which are the two factions that have the nagas inside, so probably one of those could know who did it, they do have their full animations as mentioned above.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Whoops, completely missed the animations somehow. Yeah, I'll fix that.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

What about the sea orc in Heir to the Throne? He looks so...hmm...unorcish..., he hasn't even a team color. I think he should also be written on the list.
Visit my threads:
Era:Era of more units
Artwork:Art
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

I mean he is literally a joke unit that shows up exactly once so it's not exactly high priority.